The Student Room Group

Not revised English Lit, barely done any Geography or Physics!

I just keep putting these subjects off because they're so bad! The worst one has got to be Geography, although English Literature is equally as bad.
Reply 1
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I just keep putting these subjects off because they're so bad! The worst one has got to be Geography, although English Literature is equally as bad.

What's the problem? Is it a lack of resources or do you just not like revising for them?
Reply 2
Original post by luciie
What's the problem? Is it a lack of resources or do you just not like revising for them?

They're just so boring, particularly English! I've literally read OMAM and AIC once and that was in the summer in 2014! I don't even have words to describe the poetry aspect of the course...

Physics takes a bit of effort I suppose. Once I get into it I cope and even become somewhat intrigued by what's on the page (although that is very rare!)

Geography is just case study after case study; it's like 20 of them I have to remember and 6 only come up. Then there's the rest of the syllabus to remember; it's actually so hard to cope with Geography because it is essentially two subjects - the physical and human aspects of it.
Reply 3
we can fail lit together. geography you dont have to learn the case studies word for word just give rough estimates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
They're just so boring, particularly English! I've literally read OMAM and AIC once and that was in the summer in 2014! I don't even have words to describe the poetry aspect of the course...

Physics takes a bit of effort I suppose. Once I get into it I cope and even become somewhat intrigued by what's on the page (although that is very rare!)

Geography is just case study after case study; it's like 20 of them I have to remember and 6 only come up. Then there's the rest of the syllabus to remember; it's actually so hard to cope with Geography because it is essentially two subjects - the physical and human aspects of it.

I can relate with you on the geography bit. I've barely even started to remember the case studies :colondollar: Maybe it's your revision technique that's making it boring for you, how are you revising right now?
Reply 5

Okay so take a deep breath, you still have time to revise. Set yourself an end goal and find what motivates you - so that you can revise for the subjects which you find boring. Believe me, I completely understand what you are saying - however if you want to do well in GCSEs, you have just got to get on with it and revise for them :biggrin: think about how happy you will feel, when you get a fantastic result in the subjects which you mentioned.
Reply 6
Original post by luciie
I can relate with you on the geography bit. I've barely even started to remember the case studies :colondollar: Maybe it's your revision technique that's making it boring for you, how are you revising right now?

For Geography, I've revised three case studies in the last two days by way of flashcards. Flashcards do work for me though! However, I can't push myself beyond this and this is concerning me considering the amount of content I have to learn.

My revision for other subjects has revolved around writing notes, which gets increasingly boring the more I do it.
Reply 7
Original post by ksj.11
we can fail lit together. geography you dont have to learn the case studies word for word just give rough estimates

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my poetry mock back in February I just elaborated wildly on unrealistic inferences from the poems! Likewise, with OMAM and AIC (if you have read them, you'll know), I do the exact same!
Reply 8
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Okay so take a deep breath, you still have time to revise. Set yourself an end goal and find what motivates you - so that you can revise for the subjects which you find boring. Believe me, I completely understand what you are saying - however if you want to do well in GCSEs, you have just got to get on with it and revise for them :biggrin: think about how happy you will feel, when you get a fantastic result in the subjects which you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice! Would you advise me to prioritise revision for the exams that commence in the opening couple of weeks? My exams start next Monday (16th).
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice! Would you advise me to prioritise revision for the exams that commence in the opening couple of weeks? My exams start next Monday (16th).

I would begin with making sure that you are happy with the content for those exams. So yes I would prioritise those subjects. However, I wouldn't completely 'forget' about the other subjects, being that you may not have enough time to make sure that you are confident and happy for those. So I would spend approx 70% of my time working on the first exams, then 30% on the other exams. Or maybe 60 40 - whatever works best for you :smile:
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
I would begin with making sure that you are happy with the content for those exams. So yes I would prioritise those subjects. However, I wouldn't completely 'forget' about the other subjects, being that you may not have enough time to make sure that you are confident and happy for those. So I would spend approx 70% of my time working on the first exams, then 30% on the other exams. Or maybe 60 40 - whatever works best for you :smile:

Alright. Thank you so much for your help.
Alright. Thank you so much for your help.

No problemo :smile: good luck
I honestly don't know how you can practise writing essays for English. To be honest, I don't think I'll do anything other than a mind map for some of the themes and characters. With poetry... **** IT.
Alrighty then, Here's what I found out in revision with English Literature.

In almost every question, It went along the lines of What techniques does the poet/poetess use to show feelings/power/emotions of the place/reader?

Trust me, Look at all past papers ever made and you will see a link between them.
Once you have seen the link, Do a couple questions with your annotated book and GIVE YOUR TEACHER TO MARK.

I can not stress how important that is, Your teacher is the only person who can give you the right advise as they know you better than majority of people of these Forums.

I'm not doing geography, so can't help you there :redface:

Shouldnt you be having a party mate?

Quick Reply

Latest