The Student Room Group

A Level Mathematics... why does so many say it's so difficult?

I am an A* GCSE Maths Student, and really enjoy mathematics. You hear all these horror stories of A* Maths students doing A-Level and struggling a lot with it. Now I've heard that C1 is supposedly easy anyway (which I think I confirmed when I taught myself the basics of differential & integral calculus to see whether I'd enjoy Maths A-Level), but the other content and the content in further maths don't look exceptionally challenging.

Now I'm not trying to be arrogant, but get an understanding for what it is people find so challenging. My guess is that at GCSE you just learn facts and how to do things, but at A-Level you're required to have a deep understanding, and perhaps this abstract thinking that people aren't used to is what they find challenging? Am I completely wrong or is my guess along the right lines?
Personally I find A level maths easy, if you find Gcse maths easy then A level maths should be fine too dw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by benjaminfinch
I am an A* GCSE Maths Student, and really enjoy mathematics. You hear all these horror stories of A* Maths students doing A-Level and struggling a lot with it. Now I've heard that C1 is supposedly easy anyway (which I think I confirmed when I taught myself the basics of differential & integral calculus to see whether I'd enjoy Maths A-Level), but the other content and the content in further maths don't look exceptionally challenging.

Now I'm not trying to be arrogant, but get an understanding for what it is people find so challenging. My guess is that at GCSE you just learn facts and how to do things, but at A-Level you're required to have a deep understanding, and perhaps this abstract thinking that people aren't used to is what they find challenging? Am I completely wrong or is my guess along the right lines?

:laugh:

If you're fine with GCSE you'll be fine with A Level. I too enjoyed GCSE maths but always found it a bit simple but from what you're saying I'm sure you'll be fine. For me maths was the subject with the lowest step up from GCSE to A level (although I did Additional maths too). I don't think the understanding needed at A Level is much greater than GCSE although harder questions are often in a more applied format like a real life situation. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I struggled at GCSE maths and got a B

For some reason I decided to do it for A level, probably I thought it was needed for medicine lol, anyways I am doing fine at A level maths. It was hard at first but I made sure I kept on practicing as much as possible. In my opinion Biology and Chemistry is much more harder than maths.

Chill and focus on your GCSES LIVE YOUR LIFE MATE
Reply 5

At AS, it's all about doing past questions. You don't even have to understand what you're doing as long as you get the method down.
At A2 it becomes more challenging, you actually have to understand why and what you are doing, and some of the questions can be a bit abstract. As long as you maintain a good work ethic though you will be fine.
Reply 6
Because it's quite fast paced. Blink in maths and you've missed a whole chapter! :rofl:
Original post by mickel_w
At AS, it's all about doing past questions. You don't even have to understand what you're doing as long as you get the method down.
At A2 it becomes more challenging, you actually have to understand why and what you are doing, and some of the questions can be a bit abstract. As long as you maintain a good work ethic though you will be fine.

:s-smilie: Really?
Reply 8
Yeah I always feel some sort of anxiety about maths at a level; I have looked at C2 logarithms and they look fun tbh...
Reply 9
Original post by zetamcfc
:s-smilie: Really?

More so than at AS, at least in my experience, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest