The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects

I am in year 11 and obviously will be going to college soon. I am predicted A*s and A's in my subjects but I still really don't enjoy them apart from History. When choosing my A-level subjects I chose History, Economics, Politics and unaware on the fourth. I feel I will really enjoy these subjects however I am being told by many people that I am wasting my ability of not choosing any of the core subjects when I do really well them. I do not enjoy any of the sciences or maths but I am starting to think that I need to do some of them because of my options being specific. Any help or advice will be appreciated on what I should do, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, if you take subjects you don't enjoy, then you're not likely to do well in them. It would be much better to take subjects you enjoy and get a better grade in them, than to take subjects you hate and do poorly. Have you got any idea which degree you'd like to study afterwards (assuming you want to go to uni)? :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
In my opinion, if you take subjects you don't enjoy, then you're not likely to do well in them. It would be much better to take subjects you enjoy and get a better grade in them, than to take subjects you hate and do poorly. Have you got any idea which degree you'd like to study afterwards (assuming you want to go to uni)? :smile:

Yeah that's what I was thinking because I know I will not enjoy them subjects if I take them. Also, yes I am intending on going to Univeristy but this is where there is a problem because I don't know what degree or career I would like to do. I am definitely sure that I won't be doing any degree related to science such as medicine.
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Yeah that's what I was thinking because I know I will not enjoy them subjects if I take them. Also, yes I am intending on going to Univeristy but this is where there is a problem because I don't know what degree or career I would like to do. I am definitely sure that I won't be doing any degree related to science such as medicine.

Perhaps you could consider a second facilitating subject such as English Literature, to give you more choice of degree courses? Whatever you choose though, make sure it's a subject you know, or at least think, you'll like or do well in, because you'll likely be more motivated and get higher grades as a result :smile:
The maths and sciences are very respected, useful A Levels to have. However, if you're not interested in them at all, then you're not going to want to do all of the work you need to succeed, so won't do too well. Plus, you don't want to be sat in lessons, fed up of your subjects, so I would definitely choose subjects you enjoy and are good at!

Also, have you any idea as to what you want to do as a career? If so, then your A Levels ought to be based on getting you into the uni course/apprenticeship/career you wish to go into :smile:
We are actually in the same boat haha. I kind of enjoy geography as well and was considering doing it at A-level but I'm started to think not. I really want to do a subject like maths or the sciences as I know how respected they are but I just know I won't enjoy them. I am trying to ignore other opinions however, if I don't choose another facilitating subject will I be at a disadvantage after college?
Perhaps you could consider a second facilitating subject such as English Literature, to give you more choice of degree courses? Whatever you choose though, make sure it's a subject you know, or at least think, you'll like or do well in, because you'll likely be more motivated and get higher grades as a result :smile:

Yeah I was thinking of English Lit but if i am honest I was trying to force myself to pretend that I like when I know I don't really enjoy English and definitely won't want to read all the books. I know that is highly recommended to have at least two facilitating subjects and so what do you think I should do? Thanks for your help by the way.
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
The maths and sciences are very respected, useful A Levels to have. However, if you're not interested in them at all, then you're not going to want to do all of the work you need to succeed, so won't do too well. Plus, you don't want to be sat in lessons, fed up of your subjects, so I would definitely choose subjects you enjoy and are good at!

Also, have you any idea as to what you want to do as a career? If so, then your A Levels ought to be based on getting you into the uni course/apprenticeship/career you wish to go into :smile:

That's the thing, I have no clue what I want to do at University and so is recommended to do the core subjects to open up my options. The top Uni's recommend to pick at least two facilitating subjects and do you think I will be at a big disadvantage if I don't choose at least two?
Yeah I was thinking of English Lit but if i am honest I was trying to force myself to pretend that I like when I know I don't really enjoy English and definitely won't want to read all the books. I know that is highly recommended to have at least two facilitating subjects and so what do you think I should do? Thanks for your help by the way.

No problem! Are there any subjects which you think are even slight possibilities? :smile:
Yeah this is the logic I am going with as i know I will have no motivation if I don't enjoy it. Do you think I will be at a massive disadvantage if I don't pick at least two of the recommend facilitating subjects?
That's the thing, I have no clue what I want to do at University and so is recommended to do the core subjects to open up my options. The top Uni's recommend to pick at least two facilitating subjects and do you think I will be at a big disadvantage if I don't choose at least two?

I wouldn't say you'd be at a big disadvangtage, there are plenty of people who get good places at uni without 2 facilitating subjects - most of my friends are only doing 1. Generally it's the set of grades you obtain that counts, as long as you have A Level subjects relevant to the course you wish to study. But, I would say having more facilitating subjects is better, especially if you don't know what to do at uni - they're called 'facilitating' for a reason haha!

The key is definitely to choose subjects you enjoy and will succeed in :smile:
No problem! Are there any subjects which you think are even slight possibilities? :smile:

I mean I could possibly consider a social science like psychology, philosophy or sociology but don't really have a reason for picking them. I could consider geography but again I feel that it is a random A-level choice because I know I won't have a career relating to geography haha.
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
I wouldn't say you'd be at a big disadvangtage, there are plenty of people who get good places at uni without 2 facilitating subjects - most of my friends are only doing 1. Generally it's the set of grades you obtain that counts, as long as you have A Level subjects relevant to the course you wish to study. But, I would say having more facilitating subjects is better, especially if you don't know what to do at uni - they're called 'facilitating' for a reason haha!

The key is definitely to choose subjects you enjoy and will succeed in :smile:

What do you study at A-level or are planning on picking?
What do you study at A-level or are planning on picking?

I'm in year 12 doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry :smile:
I mean I could possibly consider a social science like psychology, philosophy or sociology but don't really have a reason for picking them. I could consider geography but again I feel that it is a random A-level choice because I know I won't have a career relating to geography haha.

Geography could be a good choice, as it links with economics and politics, and is also a facilitating subject. Having 2 facilitating subjects isn't essential though, I only had one and still got into a good uni :smile:
Geography could be a good choice, as it links with economics and politics, and is also a facilitating subject. Having 2 facilitating subjects isn't essential though, I only had one and still got into a good uni :smile:

A lot of questions haha but what did you study at A-level, what do you study now and what Uni you at?
A lot of questions haha but what did you study at A-level, what do you study now and what Uni you at?

At A Level I studied Geography, Geology and ICT. I currently have a place to study BSc Geoscience at Keele University (I'm on a gap year at the moment so I'm not actually at uni yet) :smile:
How was geography? and well done :smile:
How was geography? and well done :smile:

I assume you're asking this to me? :tongue:

I personally found Geography to be my most challenging A Level, partially because I found a lot of the topics like population, cities, migration etc boring (I find human geography incredibly dull haha). Also, I found the exam questions to be quite ambiguous, so a lot of the time I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to write about in my answer. I did get a B in the end though, so I think it was worth doing :smile:
I assume you're asking this to me? :tongue:

I personally found Geography to be my most challenging A Level, partially because I found a lot of the topics like population, cities, migration etc boring (I find human geography incredibly dull haha). Also, I found the exam questions to be quite ambiguous, so a lot of the time I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to write about in my answer. I did get a B in the end though, so I think it was worth doing :smile:

Yeah I was sorry haha I will have a look into Geography thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest