The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tory88
I'm an NQT, and have to be in from 8:30-3:30, when no meetings etc. are going on. Nobody cares if you are around after that (except I guess that it makes a good impression if you are running extra-curricular activities etc.). We currently have a trainee teacher in the department who leaves at 3:30 in order to pick up his children a couple of times a week; nothing has been said behind his back and nobody is bothered. One of the good things about teaching is this flexibility - I tend to work 8:00-17:00, but knowing that I can leave earlier if I need to is a good buffer if I'm feeling overburdened.

You have a great team! In my last placement it was never an issue, teachers left school when they were done, or took their work home with them. I think it depends on the school and what they expect, all the teachers in my department have either no kids or grown up children so can stay till 5/ 5:30 to ensure they don't take work home. My PLC is the only one with kids and he's the most supportive. I have worked full time with my son since he was 4 months old, but I got a very good pay and the majority of it was in nursery where they opened till 6:30. I have come this far and had good mentors, maybe I'm just worrying as she is so snappy and short with me... I'm really nice too, try to always smile even when I feel like crying lol
Original post by kerribarrett86
You have a great team! In my last placement it was never an issue, teachers left school when they were done, or took their work home with them. I think it depends on the school and what they expect, all the teachers in my department have either no kids or grown up children so can stay till 5/ 5:30 to ensure they don't take work home. My PLC is the only one with kids and he's the most supportive. I have worked full time with my son since he was 4 months old, but I got a very good pay and the majority of it was in nursery where they opened till 6:30. I have come this far and had good mentors, maybe I'm just worrying as she is so snappy and short with me... I'm really nice too, try to always smile even when I feel like crying lol

That's definitely true. It's amazing what a difference the happiness of a department can make to how much you enjoy the career. Above everything else that's the thing to look out for when thinking about jobs - would I get on with the team?

Teaching is a very stressful job, particularly as HoD. And this is one of the times of year when everything comes to boiling point, with stress proportional to the number of exam classes you have (as a HoD I would imagine there are an awful lot). Most teachers handle this well, but unfortunately some take it out on others - pupils, other members of staff and PGCE students. Try not to take it personally, as it rarely is.
Original post by kerribarrett86
THANKS! Yes I'm doing a secondary D&T PGCE, and I always ensure marking is done and planning is done and all resources. I have my PLC who is incredibly supportive and the other teachers who I mainly work with are great, I really enjoy each day! I teach every day and have about 8 frees at 50 minutes spread over which is not enough to get all 18 lessons planned as they still take me about 30 minutes each then resources adds on more. I spend around 15 hrs planning on top of my Prep time given. I get done what is needed in school before I leave and never leave before that. I had my masters assignment due last week so I was behind in lesson planning so only gave my lesson plans about 48hrs before and one the day before, which she is copied in on, but I'm usually really on top of it, She wants them in 5 days before the lesson, but sometimes this is not possible as I have lessons with a class then another lesson 2 days later and you can't plan fully without knowing what was done the lesson before. I'm super organised as I have to be to balance home and work, but I don't think sees how hard I am working, other teachers praise me for my planning and organisation but they don't pass or fail me. Like I said I have said that my sons after school club is only until 5 to her lots of times, and I've spoke in front her to other teachers about how annoying the time it closes is, and how I can't afford much more at the moment and can't move his school during his last year in infants and his ks1 SATs.

You sound like a very responsible person, both as a teacher and as a mum.

From what I am aware, she cannot fail you based on the fact that you go home earlier than she does. There will have to be a discussion between her and other people about the grade she gives you, especially if she tries to fail you. At which point, you should be able to back up your side of the story with all the work you have produced.

I agree that it is a stressful time of year for all teachers. The KS1 and KS2 SATs are about to happen, which means that primary teachers are also under a bit of pressure too. I also agree that some people don't handle the stress as well as others, and end up taking it out on undeserving people. I think you should just carry on as you are, and try not to let it get to you. Good luck!
Original post by beanbrain
You sound like a very responsible person, both as a teacher and as a mum.

From what I am aware, she cannot fail you based on the fact that you go home earlier than she does. There will have to be a discussion between her and other people about the grade she gives you, especially if she tries to fail you. At which point, you should be able to back up your side of the story with all the work you have produced.

I agree that it is a stressful time of year for all teachers. The KS1 and KS2 SATs are about to happen, which means that primary teachers are also under a bit of pressure too. I also agree that some people don't handle the stress as well as others, and end up taking it out on undeserving people. I think you should just carry on as you are, and try not to let it get to you. Good luck!

I agree with this!

For teachers who have young/er children, it's perfectly normal to leave at an earlier time. One of my mentors always left at the same time every day (I think it was around 4:30 like you) to get her kids. She would get them and she said she went in to 'mummy mode' for fun, tea, homework, bedtime, then after they were in bed she went back in to 'teacher mode' to get all her work done. She was an amazing teacher and did so much work, everything done in plenty of time. It's whatever works for you - as long as you are sticking within the rules of the school (usually only a max of half an hour each side of 'lesson times').

I completely understand your concern of course - I always felt guilty leaving when someone else was still there working! But you are perfectly justified in doing so as long as you're doing all the work that needs to be done, which you clearly are, and you shouldn't feel bad about it (certainly not because of someone else seeming to be in a bad mood). I'd even go as far as to say, if you find you CAN work well not staying in school for too long in the future, then take advantage of this and do it! It may help keep your work life balance better! Of course, if you are just working more at home to make up for it perhaps not. But essentially, if you can do all your work to a good standard and leave at a reasonable time to pick up your son, that's great, and you shouldn't stop that to please someone else. Setting yourself limits on when to stop is an important part of becoming a good teacher.
Thank you everyone, I've just worked so hard for this I don't want it to be jeopardised. I'll carry on as I am and if brought up I'll give my side professionally. Hopefully she won't bring it up and my worries are for nothing! You've all made me feel a bit more confident though! 😊😊😊
Hi guys, I was wondering if you can still get your qts award if you fail an assignment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah1239
Hi guys, I was wondering if you can still get your qts award if you fail an assignment?

It depends on the course provider. At my university you cannot but there are some course providers who will award QTS but not the PGCE. What happens in these circumstances is usually outlined in the course's handbook/guidelines.
Original post by sarah1239

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak with your tutor. As the poster above said - some places do and others don't. I believe my PGCE provider awarded a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) if you failed the assignments at a masters level, but passed them at a bachelors level. I believe this came with QTS (to my knowledge no-one on my course was in a position to take it up).
Hi Everyone!

I have just got my offers in today for PGCE in Chemistry. I am so happy I got in but I would love to hear about people's student experiences.

I would really like to hear from students who are studying or have graduated from King's or UCL or from a SCITT programme? How was the content of the course? How were the lecturers? The schools? Did you enjoy the course? Most importantly, how was the support on the course? Any other reflections on the course?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
Original post by angel89624
Hi Everyone!

I have just got my offers in today for PGCE in Chemistry. I am so happy I got in but I would love to hear about people's student experiences.

I would really like to hear from students who are studying or have graduated from King's or UCL or from a SCITT programme? How was the content of the course? How were the lecturers? The schools? Did you enjoy the course? Most importantly, how was the support on the course? Any other reflections on the course?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

The UCL IoE science team is brilliant. Subject sessions were both enjoyable and full of information. I can't recommend them highly enough. Support was good, and most people enjoyed the course. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
Original post by tory88
The UCL IoE science team is brilliant. Subject sessions were both enjoyable and full of information. I can't recommend them highly enough. Support was good, and most people enjoyed the course. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.

Thank you so much for replying. This is of great comfort to me. I'm so glad to hear that there's good support. That is my number one priority, to know that if I need help, I'll get it.

Did you live in London whilst you were doing your PGCE? How were the travel times? I'm trying to decide whether to come London

How did people do on the course? Did most poeple pass and get an A?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by angel89624
Thank you so much for replying. This is of great comfort to me. I'm so glad to hear that there's good support. That is my number one priority, to know that if I need help, I'll get it.

Did you live in London whilst you were doing your PGCE? How were the travel times? I'm trying to decide whether to come London

How did people do on the course? Did most poeple pass and get an A?

I already lived on the very outskirts of London, so I continued living there. The commute into the IoE was just over an hour long, which whilst not ideal didn't cause too many problems. Both of my placement schools were reasonably close to where I live (if I had driven both were within half an hour).

It's pretty difficult to fail a PGCE if you put the work in. Some people dropped out - that will be the case everywhere, it's a stressful course (and job!) and you can't really know how you will respond to the pressure until you are doing it. A couple of people repeated a term and passed at Christmas. But the large majority of people passed without it ever really being in doubt.

As far as masters assignment grading goes, most people achieved Cs or Bs. Nobody in either physics or physic with maths achieved an A, and in the other disciplines there were only a couple who did so. But this is inconsequential - even if you go on to do the full masters the grades mean nothing for the final classification. The masters essays are good to force you to think about an aspect of teaching in more depth, but you should be choosing a PGCE on the basis of the teaching practice and the staff within your subjects.
I lived in London for my undergrad degree and loved it. I was living purely off student finance and the UCL bursary and could afford to live within about half hour of uni (I lived in Kentish Town and Finsbury Park).

I couldn't have afforded to live there for a pgce, because the government bursary (£4k) wouldn't have added enough to my student finance. But if you have the money I'd definitely advise living in London.

I don't know anything about the PGCE there unfortunately, except that unless it has a different grading system you don't "get an A". If it's like my pgce, you get a Ofsted style grade (1-4). Allegedly at my uni anything above a 3 is a pass (that came from other students, not tutors), but obviously most people are aiming for and get 2s, with some 1s.
I have secured a job in september as a reception class teacher and am currently on placement there in Y1.
However I am finding it so hard. My family are suffering because I am always nackered and working or can't switch my mind off. I just keep crying because it all feels like such a mess.
I feel like I have no choice but to carry on because I would be letting the school down if I backed out now, but I feel like I can't continue like this.
I also don't know what I'd do if I did back out. I just want to be a full time Mum but that isn't financially viable.
Got to plan maths tonight and just want to spend time with my hubby.
Really fed up.
Original post by Pineapple pie
I have secured a job in september as a reception class teacher and am currently on placement there in Y1.
However I am finding it so hard. My family are suffering because I am always nackered and working or can't switch my mind off. I just keep crying because it all feels like such a mess.
I feel like I have no choice but to carry on because I would be letting the school down if I backed out now, but I feel like I can't continue like this.
I also don't know what I'd do if I did back out. I just want to be a full time Mum but that isn't financially viable.
Really fed up.

Coming to the end of your placement it can always feel like you are running out of steam - don't worry! You have done so well getting this far.
Once you have started your job you settle in to things. Even though NQT year can be tough, push through it!!
I am in my 4th year of teaching now. At certain times of the year workload is immense and I find myself working in to all hours of the night.
However, the majority of the time I finish my work at school around 5-6pm and then I go home and not do anything school related.
With children it is trickier if you need to pick them up etc. but you can still be strict with yourself and say you will do a maximum of 1 hour when you get home and then not do anything school related.
The more experience you get, the quicker you are at getting tasks done.
Does any one know if I apply to PGCE course to a school direct or SCITT which they have partnership with universities and I was unsuccessful, does that mean no point of applying to another school which is under the same university ? or each school treat each application and interview separate ?
so does the university ?
Original post by meme12
Does any one know if I apply to PGCE course to a school direct or SCITT which they have partnership with universities and I was unsuccessful, does that mean no point of applying to another school which is under the same university ? or each school treat each application and interview separate ?

I would imagine it's fine to apply again. Each school will have different things they're looking for in their trainees, and not getting accepted to one certainly doesn't mean you aren't right for the uni.

However, if you've had an interview with the uni itself, as well as the school, it might be worth asking for some feedback as they may say something which could let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
Really fed up.

You always have a choice. Your mental health is important, and you shouldn't have to feel like that because of your job.

Having said that, do bear in mind that NQT year is usually very different from the PGCE. You have charge of your class, which although it sounds like lots more work (and in ways, it is) it's also easier as you're working to you, not someone else. You get more experience of planning much more quickly and it helps you become quicker at it very fast!

Also, I know it varies from person to person, but I find earlier years much quicker and more intuitive to plan for (and behaviour management and assessment too!). How did you feel on your Early Years placement? If you feel more at home in Early Years that will make a big difference.

Lastly, it sounds like setting aside some time to spend with your family, not thinking about work, would really help. I know that's way easier said than done, but worrying about work is not helping the work get done, it's just intruding on the family time and making you exhausted. Maybe try mindfulness/meditation or something to get your mind off it before you start the time with your family. I like slowly thinking about each part of my body from toes upwards and becoming aware of it. It can really focus you away from thoughts and worries (I know it sounds a bit wishy washy but worth a try!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I would imagine it's fine to apply again. Each school will have different things they're looking for in their trainees, and not getting accepted to one certainly doesn't mean you aren't right for the uni.

However, if you've had an interview with the uni itself, as well as the school, it might be worth asking for some feedback as they may say something which could let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply, when the universities and schools stop accepting new applications ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending