The Student Room Group

Saturday Job Holiday Situation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
They arent asking for four weeks, hardly the same as one day.
Living with a relative is an option, but you dont know if they have that.
If given enough notice then the manager could be pragmatic and sort something out.or at least make an effort to.

Well that's how companies operate if 5 people wanted same day off they probably can't give all of them time off what if they can't cover it?
Where I work only 3 can be off at any time and people have been refused leave that's life.
Also it may be a poxy Saturday job but Saturdays are one of the busiest days as I know.

That is why you sort out your leave first before booking holidays.
Original post by Juno
If someone is ill that's an unforeseeable emergency. Allowing someone holiday when too many people are off would be bad planning. Many companies don't pay sick pay for the first 3 days anyway, so in terms of business costs holiday is much worse.

If they attempt an alternative for this (what exactly?) then everyone will expect that. It will end up costing the business more.

As you said they can take it unpaid. As for alternatives these have already been covered above. Without the full details from the OP its hard to know exactly what you are dealing with, but there is always the possibility to explore alternatives to a flat out refusal. Im more interested in solutions rather than cant do's.
Original post by chikane
Well that's how companies operate if 5 people wanted same day off they probably can't give all of them time off what if they can't cover it?
Where I work only 3 can be off at any time and people have been refused leave that's life.
Also it may be a poxy Saturday job but Saturdays are one of the busiest days as I know.

That is why you sort out your leave first before booking holidays.

You dont know their situation because they havent given the details. None of your answer is helpful or explores looking at the possibility of finding a solution. the OP should at least try rather than give in. It may be they have to give up their job, but that would be a last resort.
Reply 23
As you said they can take it unpaid. As for alternatives these have already been covered above. Without the full details from the OP its hard to know exactly what you are dealing with, but there is always the possibility to explore alternatives to a flat out refusal. Im more interested in solutions rather than cant do's.

But you have to understand the can't do's to know what might be a solution. You've already said the OP should claim declining holiday is illegal, which is unhelpful, and is because you didn't understand what you were advising. If you actually think things through you might be able to come up with a good suggestion, but you're just posting rubbish that several people have told you is wrong.
Original post by Juno
But you have to understand the can't do's to know what might be a solution. You've already said the OP should claim declining holiday is illegal, which is unhelpful, and is because you didn't understand what you were advising. If you actually think things through you might be able to come up with a good suggestion, but you're just posting rubbish that several people have told you is wrong.

No I havent. read it again. Its you that applied an interpretation to it .

Tell me something ive said that is wrong. Ive said just because a manager has declined them at the moment doesn't mean the OP cant explore the possibility of arranging an alternative that is satifactory to both. The OPs description of the situation is very sparse.
You dont know their situation because they havent given the details. None of your answer is helpful or explores looking at the possibility of finding a solution. the OP should at least try rather than give in. It may be they have to give up their job, but that would be a last resort.

Well op will now know to declare holidays booked in advance at interviews and to see whether they have leave booked before booking holidays which should be helpful to him for future reference.

You telling him to involve his parents would not be the right approach as he isn't at school. If my parents booked a holiday I would never want them to discuss it with my employers don't need my hand holding. I may not know his situation neither do you if they are extremely short staffed it would have a negative impact on the service plus we don't know when this holiday is booked for July, August?
Original post by chikane
Well op will now know to declare holidays booked in advance at interviews and to see whether they have leave booked before booking holidays which should be helpful to him for future reference.

You telling him to involve his parents would not be the right approach as he isn't at school. If my parents booked a holiday I would never want them to discuss it with my employers don't need my hand holding. I may not know his situation neither do you if they are extremely short staffed it would have a negative impact on the service plus we don't know when this holiday is booked for July, August?

The fist bit is meaningless and unhelpful. I told you so never really achieves anything constructive, so not sure why you think its a good thing,.

Precisely you dont know the situation , but the longer the gap then the bigger the chance they can sort something out. He might have no option but to resign, but he should try and find a solution, even if think he should would give up.
(edited 7 years ago)
The fist bit is meaningless and unhelpful. I told you so never really achieves anything constructive, so not sure why you think its a good thing,.

Precisely you dont know the situation , but the longer the gap then the bigger the chance they can sort something out. He might have no option but to resign, but he should try and find a solution, even if think he should would give up.

No I don't give up so easily but I would make sure to book time off so it wouldn't affect the service but I am fortunate to get the time off I need where I work.
Original post by chikane
No I don't give up so easily but I would make sure to book time off so it wouldn't affect the service but I am fortunate to get the time off I need where I work.

So how does that help the OP? They have to deal with the situation as is at their workplace not yours and not next year.
Reply 29
Original post by chikane

The holiday is booked for the school holiday in October, I am still at school and I work in a chemist/pharmacy if that is any help. I would've notified my employer at the interview but it wasn't set in stone completely and I wasn't aware that it was relevant seeing as it is my first job.

and I'm a girl....
Original post by ellton
The holiday is booked for the school holiday in October, I am still at school and I work in a chemist/pharmacy if that is any help. I would've notified my employer at the interview but it wasn't set in stone completely and I wasn't aware that it was relevant seeing as it is my first job.

and I'm a girl....

State that you werent aware this was procedure and that this is your first job then and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellton

and I'm a girl....

Thought you were still at school.
Try getting a replacement (dont you know any of the other staff who might be willing to cover?), but if your boss wont budge whatever their reasons, then you are caught between a rock and a hard place if your parents insist you go.

If its not till October, then thats c6 months during which you could always look for another job.

All you can do is make them aware of situation. If you cant find a compromise, then I dont see you have any other choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending