The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Plagiarism

I'm a second year international student at Leeds university. i got caught plagiarizing for the second time. i have been referred to the university plagiarism committee and i'm going to attend a meeting probably in a month . i have admitted to the offence but i'm scared to be expelled from university . The assignment that i submitted was not graded and was only a 400 words . However when i seek advice from the university union they told me that is likely i would get expelled . i was going through a lot stress due to personnel issues and i have told one of my tutors about it 2 weeks before submitting that assignment ..im supposed to write a letter to the committee soon Does anyone have an advice how to overcome this ? Please help me . this news didnt only affect me but also my parents who worked so hard back home to pay my university fees and they have been refusing to talk to me since i told them about this.
Advice?

Don't plagiarize in the first place.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
i said i needed advice how to overcome this . read properly
what subject is this?
Original post by Maram123
i said i needed advice how to overcome this . read properly

Yeah, I read it.

Nothing you can do. Plagiarists should be kicked out, no matter the circumstances.
Reply 5
well people do mistakes and as an international student , English is my third language , the university should make more effort to teach how to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. for many international students plagiarism is a foreign word and most students who plagiarize are international students. and since you don't have anything positive to say , please leave the thread and spread your negativity somewhere else
Reply 6
aviation management and finance
I'm a second year international student at Leeds university. i got caught plagiarizing for the second time. i have been referred to the university plagiarism committee and i'm going to attend a meeting probably in a month . i have admitted to the offence but i'm scared to be expelled from university . The assignment that i submitted was not graded and was only a 400 words . However when i seek advice from the university union they told me that is likely i would get expelled . i was going through a lot stress due to personnel issues and i have told one of my tutors about it 2 weeks before submitting that assignment ..im supposed to write a letter to the committee soon Does anyone have an advice how to overcome this ? Please help me . this news didnt only affect me but also my parents who worked so hard back home to pay my university fees and they have been refusing to talk to me since i told them about this.

Even if you are going through personal issues, never plagiarise. Instead, talk to your lecturers or tutors and ask for an extension. You said that you talked to your tutors? What did they say? No one wants you to fail, but there is very little that people can do for you if you choose to go down the dishonest route.

My advice would be to use this as a learning experience. Don't plagiarise ever again. Plagiarism is taken very seriously at university, so unfortunately, I am not optimistic about your outcomes. xx
What i do for assignments is write notes from resources on paper and then i type them up in my own words. Make sure you reference properly! also, at uni im sure there is some sort of support group that will help you out with assignments and tell you how to reference and avoid plagarism. Because i found my tutors absolute ****.
well people do mistakes

i got caught plagiarizing for the second time..

Hmmmm.

as an international student , English is my third language , the university should make more effort to teach how to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. for many international students plagiarism is a foreign word and most students who plagiarize are international students.
If this was your first time caught plagiarising, I would be far more sympathetic. But it seems the university has already given you a second chance, and yet you've done it again. Plagiarism is serious, career-ruining academic misconduct worldwide, not just in the English-speaking world, but even if there was some mistranslation and you thought it would be fine to plagiarise, you should have got your act together when they told you the first time. Many students wouldn't get a second chance - they'd go straight out. You were lucky to get a second chance. However, as far as the university is concerned, you've clearly cheated on purpose this time round, there are very few people so ignorant as to cheat accidentally for a second time. Sorry for the rant, but I need to get this out, mainly as a warning to other students who might be considering cheating. It often fails, it is academically wrong, and morally wrong, you are far better off submitting nothing for an assignment than submitting something that's plagiarised.
Reply 10
i have considered not to submit any assignment if the committee forgave me for my second offence plagiarism. i have never cheated in my exams and i got good results in my exams .I have only struggled in writing assignment . i hope the committee will be lenient with me
i have considered not to submit any assignment if the committee forgave me for my second offence plagiarism. i have never cheated in my exams and i got good results in my exams .I have only struggled in writing assignment . i hope the committee will be lenient with me

Unfortunately a lot of people struggle with written assignments. I am a native English speaker and I do not like them at all. I am also good at exams. University is here to test our ability all around. If by your first sentence you mean that you are considering not submitting any more assignments at all I would seriously consider whether university is right for you. You WILL fail your degree if you refuse to hand in any assignments.

IF they do forgive you, I highly suggest you speak to your tutor and go along to some of the library skills sessions to improve your essay writing skills so that you can do work on your own merits, not using someone else's knowledge. Surely you would be upset to know that someone else on your course had gotten away with not doing the work and copying from elsewhere. These committees are there to make it fair to all students, I understand you see it as 'unfair' as English is your third language, but as a second offence I do not see this as a strong enough argument. Surely the first time you were caught you has plagiarism explained to you. And even if not, university is here to test YOUR knowledge, not someone else's.

I do not think that 'personal issues' will help you much either. If you were struggling you should have gone to your school and asked if you could possibly have an extension, or to fill in a mitigating circumstances form. The university is not unduly cruel, and I have been granted a few extensions, which I probably shouldn't really have had, I should have had to accept my 0, but because I explained my circumstances before the due date, and did not try to lie to them, they helped me out.
Reply 12
i just wanted to update this thread and say that the university decided not to expel me for my second offence plagiarism due to my mitigating circumstances. i'm really happy and grateful !!! :smile:
i just wanted to update this thread and say that the university decided not to expel me for my second offence plagiarism due to my mitigating circumstances. i'm really happy and grateful !!! :smile:

That's really good, congratulation.

Don't do it again!!
Reply 14
thank you :smile:
yes never ever again
Could you share what was your "mitigating circumstances"? As I got the same trouble recently, thank you very much!
Congrats, Maram123, I hope you deserved the third chance and won't repeat this foolish mistake ever again. Please, remember that plagiarism is a serious issue that can have a negative affect on your future. I also have an experience of being accused of academic plagiarism so I can clearly understand your feelings. What did it teach me? First, always pre-check your work for plagiarism (my university uses this software https://unplag.com/, hence, I should use its free version before I submit it to a teacher to make sure I won't fail). Second, don't be afraid or shy. When you're in doubt, ask questions. It comes back to the famous Chinese proverb:
“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever”

Brilliant news. However, you need to learn from this experience.
What was the meeting like and what questions they asked.. what did u say. Please help.. im in deep shot too

Quick Reply

Latest