The Student Room Group

STEP 1

At the moment I have learnt C1, C2, C2, FP1, S1, D1 and D2. Would it be a good idea to enter for STEP 1 this year (year 12)? If so, is there anything anyone can recommend learning before doing so (eg. Another module)?
I would advice against it. For starters you haven't done Core 3/4, which I believe are prerequisites. Also, this time next year you'll be a lot more mature as a mathematician.
I suggest next year as well. You'll need some mechanics as well.
Reply 3
Original post by JXSH
At the moment I have learnt C1, C2, C2, FP1, S1, D1 and D2. Would it be a good idea to enter for STEP 1 this year (year 12)? If so, is there anything anyone can recommend learning before doing so (eg. Another module)?

You'll be able to do maybe 1/2 questions on the paper, fail spectacularly and hurt your chances for an offer next year; I would advise against it.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
You'll be able to do maybe 1/2 questions on the paper, fail spectacularly and hurt your chances for an offer next year; I would advise against it.

A bit needlessly savage :tongue:

But I agree in principle. STEP 1 is rather unlikely to go well unless you are very comfortable indeed with all the pure up to C4 and ideally some mechanics. While it's not impossible for a strong mathematician to learn C4 well in a month, it would be taking up an awful lot of time in the middle of an already congested exam season, without even taking step prep into account.

Focus on your AS exams, look at C4 and step 1 over the summer, and come back next year with a vengeance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good practice would be to look over the Oxford MAT papers in the summer. They only require C1 and C2 knowledge and will give you a primer on the kind of questions you might be asked.
Reply 6
Original post by MathsAndChess
I would advice against it. For starters you haven't done Core 3/4, which I believe are prerequisites. Also, this time next year you'll be a lot more mature as a mathematician.

Okay that is true, thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by Imperion
I suggest next year as well. You'll need some mechanics as well.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

Okay, thanks for the honest but helpful advice!
Reply 9
Original post by Krollo
A bit needlessly savage :tongue:

But I agree in principle. STEP 1 is rather unlikely to go well unless you are very comfortable indeed with all the pure up to C4 and ideally some mechanics. While it's not impossible for a strong mathematician to learn C4 well in a month, it would be taking up an awful lot of time in the middle of an already congested exam season, without even taking step prep into account.

Focus on your AS exams, look at C4 and step 1 over the summer, and come back next year with a vengeance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you for the input. I have learnt C3 but unfortunately missed the entry deadline for the summer exam. I will definitely do my best to learn C4 & more over the summer!
Reply 10
Original post by 16characterlimit
A good practice would be to look over the Oxford MAT papers in the summer. They only require C1 and C2 knowledge and will give you a primer on the kind of questions you might be asked.

Okay, I will take a look at that. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest