The Student Room Group

Is the education system failing students?

(some) Teachers are amazing. They sit there with us and will try their best to help us through examinations, running extra revision sessions and will try their best to help us if we're stuck.

But my question is, Is the education system failing students?

we are expected to memorize information, and not understand it.

How are we expected to balance a minimum of 8 hours of sleep, 6 hours (or more) of college, school etc, exercise, revision, time for family/friends and most of all, time for ourselves?

Does anyone think that there is too much pressure put on students?
Reply 1
yes it is
Original post by Bethanallsorts
(some) Teachers are amazing. They sit there with us and will try their best to help us through examinations, running extra revision sessions and will try their best to help us if we're stuck.

How are we expected to balance a minimum of 8 hours of sleep, 6 hours (or more) of college, school etc, exercise, revision, time for family/friends and most of all, time for ourselves?

Most of us are playing computer games all day.
Reply 3
This is interesting. Although I see many flaws within the education system, memorising information is one that I don't think can be avoided. Public examinations are one of the only ways to put all of the students in the UK on a spectrum, so therefore we must all have the same exams. If this is the case, we are confined to a curriculum and the desire to get good grades so the answer is memorising key information as oppose to following interest.

I'm writing an essay on how to make an 'Education to Build a Better Future for All' and I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.
Reply 4
I don't necessarily disagree about memorising informaiton, but the education system in general is pretty crap yes.
Reply 5
It probably fails the super intelligent and the very stupid, but I think it does OK for the rest (the vast majority).

I do agree that it takes up too much time though.
Reply 6
Original post by pal04
I'm writing an essay on how to make an 'Education to Build a Better Future for All' and I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

I'd love to read it when you are done.
For me if the teacher is enthusiastic and being fun while teaching instead of spouting cold hard facts and handing out worksheets with like dozens of questions for an hour, than I'll be interested do the work and I'm usually higher graade in those lessons. Like my English Teacher But there are some real Bores like this Science teacher where its just "Oh My GOD STFU!". also it dosen't help how I'm in Year 10 and were having so much changes made to GCSES and having so much tests and new teaching methods and rules shoved down our throats coupled with having to drop a subject, all cause the government can make us misreable.
My principle concern with the education system is the lack of objectivity. Having gone through the system at a later age than the average student, I had the opportunity to experience the 'real' world before undertaking my second and higher education. Open debate was simply not encouraged, and if you did not fit the consensus, you were treated as intellectually inferior. Anecdotal, perhaps, but we're seeing more and more of this in the news.
about the balancing time thing, it's just not possible.

i know that i often have to choose between getting all my work done and getting enough sleep and/or time to de-stress

i place my own well-being above school, but i have friends who sometimes get less than 5 hours of sleep because of homework
Original post by astralpenguin

i know that i often have to choose between getting all my work done and getting enough sleep and/or time to de-stress

i place my own well-being above school, but i have friends who sometimes get less than 5 hours of sleep because of homework

This basically
Yes, there's so much inequality it's ridiculous, not just between state and private schools but also between most state schools and grammar schools, faith schools and state schools in 'nice, middle class areas'. If you don't go to one of those types of schools, it's much harder to reach your potential and do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm generally a happy-go-lucky type person but when it comes to my education I'm always serious. That is why I believe that the education system is to an extent failing students. For one, I have been complaining about one of my tutors since September along with my peers and just now (two weeks before the exam dates) they have decided that they should do something about the fact that we have been taught nothing whatsoever. Furthermore, another of my tutors took 4 weeks off because her 22 year old son had the flu and then complained because I had an orthodontist appointment that clashed with one of her lessons and threatened me with a disciplinary. Another example is that we have as an AS year had 4 months to complete the EPQ rather than 2 years. That is only my side of things from my college. I see it in other schools though. Only today, my boyfriend's college "regretfully" informed the ICT candidates that all of the coursework was compared with another school's and the grades have all slipped by one or two boundaries. This creates issues as they are A2s and the exams are in 3 weeks, not giving them time to make corrections before they must be sent off. These exams determine if these students will get into uni! Another example is a friend of mine with autism and he really struggles to stay focused in exams/classes/etc. There is nothing done to make learning easier for him and to make it easier for him to write his work (like a laptop or something - he could even use his own...).
That being said, I have two very good tutors who do everything in their power to ensure our success and comfort in our learning. I wish that there were more teachers that saw us as more than a candidate number and a grade forecast.
Original post by Bethanallsorts

Yes but who cares? They say it'll prepare us for life...
There's gotta be a reason why English people don't pass English
Original post by thefatone
Yes but who cares? They say it'll prepare us for life...

The issue that I have with the use of the phrase "this prepares you for the world of work" is that to a certain extent it doesn't.

I know nothing about tax, paying bills etc and if I had to face the world on my own at the age of 18 like many people have to, then I wouldn't know where to start.

But of course, learning Algebra and other complicated mathematical sums are "so important" to my education. :boring::boring:
Original post by bethanystephens
I'm generally a happy-go-lucky type person but when it comes to my education I'm always serious. That is why I believe that the education system is to an extent failing students. For one, I have been complaining about one of my tutors since September along with my peers and just now (two weeks before the exam dates) they have decided that they should do something about the fact that we have been taught nothing whatsoever. Furthermore, another of my tutors took 4 weeks off because her 22 year old son had the flu and then complained because I had an orthodontist appointment that clashed with one of her lessons and threatened me with a disciplinary. Another example is that we have as an AS year had 4 months to complete the EPQ rather than 2 years. That is only my side of things from my college. I see it in other schools though. Only today, my boyfriend's college "regretfully" informed the ICT candidates that all of the coursework was compared with another school's and the grades have all slipped by one or two boundaries. This creates issues as they are A2s and the exams are in 3 weeks, not giving them time to make corrections before they must be sent off. These exams determine if these students will get into uni! Another example is a friend of mine with autism and he really struggles to stay focused in exams/classes/etc. There is nothing done to make learning easier for him and to make it easier for him to write his work (like a laptop or something - he could even use his own...).
That being said, I have two very good tutors who do everything in their power to ensure our success and comfort in our learning. I wish that there were more teachers that saw us as more than a candidate number and a grade forecast.

I definitely think that more needs to be done to support students. The issue is that many teachers think that their job is to just teach, but in reality they have to support their students and help us whenever we feel that we need it.

In my high school, there were provisions in place for anyone who has a disability, suffers with anxiety etc and they were put into a separate room with rest breaks so that they weren't overwhelmed, and this is the same in my college, but now it seems that you need to tell everyone your life story to be able to get these provisions put in place.

Im so sorry to hear about the fact that you're only now receiving help. I'm in the exact same boat! after failing for a whole year, one of my teachers has now decided to help me after I've requested help over and over again:facepalm:I hope that you pass your exams and that you receive all the help that you need!
Original post by astralpenguin

I agree, I think this is the best way to be, but I'm one of the people who get less than 5 hours of sleep:frown:
Original post by pal04
This is interesting. Although I see many flaws within the education system, memorising information is one that I don't think can be avoided. Public examinations are one of the only ways to put all of the students in the UK on a spectrum, so therefore we must all have the same exams. If this is the case, we are confined to a curriculum and the desire to get good grades so the answer is memorising key information as oppose to following interest.

I think that to prepare us for the world of work, which according to teachers is the main reason for the education system, I think examinations should be eradicated, and replaced with a system which gives us a task and then assesses it. very much similar to a BTEC, or Welsh baccalaureate if you're aware of what that is.

The reason why I say this is because I think assessment based courses prepare us better for the world of work than a two hour thirty-minute examination, sometimes less.

I would really love to read the essay when you're finished if you'd be willing to share it with me, and if you want some of my views, then you're more than welcome to send me a message!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending