The Student Room Group

Why don't we have sikhophobia, hinduphobia or buddhismophobia?

I was wondering about this last night, how come islam gets so much bad rap while the other big religions are barely ever mentioned? I mean if you watch or read the news day in day out you almost never see them mentioned, never mind hear about millions hating or disliking them ?! And there are plenty of buddhists, hindus or sikhs in the UK but somehow there seems to be ZERO issues with them...

Hitchens had a theory about it :

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have never thought about this. Maybe it's because Muslims tend to be focused on their religion so it causes more offense if you downplay their religion...I am not entirely sure though.
I think it's because of isis. I mean if you look back in the history you'll see that there were periods when being a christian was a bad thing and as a result your life was at danger.
The same thing happened to jews during the World War 2. If you watch movies/documentaries you'll that not only german but many people around europe were convinced that jews are criminals,bad ppl etc.
I hope this helps: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because Islam is a religion of peace
Original post by ODES_PDES
Because Islam is a religion of peace

Yeah like ppl who believe in other religions are the best ppl in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Because it's a global game.....

Big countries look at them see the religion and population grow, they stick to whatever they believe (which means it's easier to anger them) in comparison to western countries.

it's like bullying, but not your usual school bullying, it's on bigger scale, something like,

West: we are not allowed many things in our religion, but we don't care, we do whatever we want, do the same
Islam: No thanks, we are good, we like to practise whatever we want
W: Eat this pig with alcohol
I: No
W: Do it, or you will regret
I: NO!
W: Lets start a war over there, and make it look like its their fault...
W: Lets video something half fake half true, and show it to whole world
W: Islam, you should have eaten that pig!

Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil, or anything that America/West can exploit.
We do have communiphobia. It is vaguely gauche to be opposed to communism despite all the terrible things it has done.

We do not however have conserviphobia.
Original post by Erebor
I was wondering about this last night, how come islam gets so much bad rap while the other big religions are barely ever mentioned?..

Because Islam is a dangerous political ideology as much as it is a religion. It was invented by a mediaeval warlord to control the behaviour of and influence his pool of potential soldiers into fighting for control of the Arabian peninsula by appealing to their known superstitious predelictions.

Unfortunately, it was successful and then aggressively spread around north Africa, parts of southern Europe and western Asia.

It has now been given new impetus, politically, by groups who have turned back the clock to the seventh century to use the bits of the doctrine that Mohammed himself found so useful.
Original post by lNurl

Big countries look at them see the religion and population grow, they stick to whatever they believe (which means it's easier to anger them) in comparison to western countries.

it's like bullying, but not your usual school bullying, it's on bigger scale, something like,

West: we are not allowed many things in our religion, but we don't care, we do whatever we want, do the same

Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil, or anything that America/West can exploit.

wtf, care to substantiate any of that with actual evidence? The West declaring war on an Islamic country because you won't eat a pig?

The aforementioned will fly before any of that BS is true.
Reply 9
Original post by lNurl

Assuming what you say it's true ... the other big religions also have different ways to those of the West. So what is the difference between islam and all the other religions? What causes people to develop this phobia for islam but not the others?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Erebor
Assuming what you say it's true ... the other big religions also have different ways to those of the West. So what is the difference between islam and all the other religions? What causes people to develop this phobia for islam but not the others?

Muslims are a bit brainwashed? Maybe more brainwashed than any other religious people? uneducated?

Because all the educated muslims I know, they don't care about, get furious when they hear someone drew caricature of prophet.
Reply 11
Original post by Good bloke
Because Islam is a dangerous political ideology as much as it is a religion. It was invented by a mediaeval warlord to control the behaviour of and influence his pool of potential soldiers into fighting for control of the Arabian peninsula by appealing to their known superstitious predelictions.

Unfortunately, it was successful and then aggressively spread around north Africa, parts of southern Europe and western Asia.

It has now been given new impetus, politically, by groups who have turned back the clock to the seventh century to use the bits of the doctrine that Mohammed himself found so useful.

Reply 12

Do you have any evidence from the Quran (the Islamic holy book) or RELIABLE sources which state that Islam was 'invented by a mediaeval warlord to control the behaviour of and influence his pool of potential soldiers into fighting for control of the Arabian peninsula by appealing to their known superstitious predelictions.'?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Supersaps
wtf, care to substantiate any of that with actual evidence? The West declaring war on an Islamic country because you won't eat a pig?

The aforementioned will fly before any of that BS is true.

it was metaphoric...

pig & alcohol can be anything that Islamic country don't agree with.

it can be oil, it can be freedom, it can be way of life, it can be other resources.....
The question has statistical background. All Islamist are not cruel but majority are which leads to this phobia . In case of other religion vice versa is applicable imo . I am not always correct.
Original post by SaraBZ
Do you have any evidence from the Quran (the Islamic holy book) that Islam was 'invented by a mediaeval warlord to control the behaviour of and influence his pool of potential soldiers into fighting for control of the Arabian peninsula by appealing to their known superstitious predelictions.'?

Aside from the obvious, that the message changed by new "revelations" over time as the needs of Mohammed's military campaigns differed? No.

However, it is irrefutable that Mohammed was a warlord, that the Arabs were a superstitious people, that he used the message of the Koran to influence his people and that his campaigns were successful.

You can choose to believe the obvious fiction that it was dictated to him by a deity if you wish, but that just leaves you in the seventh century with Mohammed's superstitious desert-dwellers.

I love the way you added "reliable sources" as an afterthought when you realised that the Koran is not itself a reliable source. Which rather confirms my statement, doesn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Aside from the obvious, that the message changed by new "revelations" over time as the needs of Mohammed's military campaigns differed? No.

However, it is irrefutable that Mohammed was a warlord, that the Artabs were a superstitious people, that he used the message of the Koran to influence his people and that his campaigns were successful.

You can choose to believe the obvious fiction that it was dictated to him by a deity if you wish, but that just leaves you in the seventh century with Mohammed's superstitious desert-dwellers.

When you answered the question I would like to know why you are referring to 'you'.

Also, you didn't answer my question properly- you just gave your own opinion!

Learn how to answer a question clearly please.
Original post by Erebor
I was wondering about this last night, how come islam gets so much bad rap while the other big religions are barely ever mentioned? I mean if you watch or read the news day in day out you almost never see them mentioned, never mind hear about millions hating or disliking them ?! And there are plenty of buddhists, hindus or sikhs in the UK but somehow there seems to be ZERO issues with them...

Hitchens had a theory about it :

We do not have them because dictionary says so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butternuts96
Ironically your name is "Good bloke" yet you spew so much hatred.

What was hateful about my simple and factual description of Islam and its origins? The only possible point of contention is that Mohammed invented Islam and that it did not spring from a deity.

I certainly hate Islam, but for very good and reasonable reasons. I do not hate Moslems, though, and even have a few Moslem friends. They are well-adjusted ones who are assimilated into western life and pay as much heed to Islamic doctrine as Roman Catholics do to the Pope's views on contraception.
Original post by SaraBZ
When you answered the question I would like to know why you are referring to 'you'.

Also, you didn't answer my question properly- you just gave your own opinion!

Learn how to answer a question clearly please.

I answered your question fully. I suggest you read it again word by word.

Which of my claims do you seriously question?

I use the pronoun "you" in its conventional sense. Do you, in fact, believe that the Koran was dictated by a deity?

Latest

Trending

Trending