The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fudgeltwattle
Thank you so much! Your answers were really helpful. I have got offers back from Surrey, Reading, Kent and Sussex. I live in Spain actually, but I'm from London, so going to uni back in England again will be an interesting experience :h: Oh and I'm also considering applying to Bristol through Extra or clearing but I'm not sure yet

Hi Fudgeltwattle,
I think Sussex will probably offer you the best student experience our of your offers because it is so near to Brighton! Also you are only an hour away from London which is a big plus!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
Original post by johnd45
HI, I got an offer for business & management of ABC as I picked them as my firm, so do you think they'll be lenient enough to accept me with AAD? Thanks if you reply to this!

Hi johnd45,
I think there is a possibility that they will still accept you but I would ring admissions to check!
Reply 22
Original post by chlostannard
Do you have any opinion on Brighthelm houses? I really like the look of them but worried that I miss out the 'uni experience' not living in halls first year and that only sharing with 5 people may make it quite unsociable? Thanks

Hi chlostannard,
Lots of people in my flat are friends with people in Brighthelm. I don't think you will miss out on the uni experience if you mingle with people i.e go to societies and try to hang out with people on your course. I'm not particularly close to anyone in my flat so I had to try a bit harder to make friends. Brighthelm have washing machines which is a massive bonus! It will also be quieter when it comes to revision and exam times!
Anything else?
Reply 23
Original post by moonaddict
Hi KayaRose! Thank you so much for helping us out! I am a Student from Germany and I have made Sussex my firm choice, so hopefully I'll be studying Journalism at Sussex in September. I do have a lot of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to online yet. Maybe you could help me out?
Are you able to combine two courses or switch up your modules? I would love to add something politics related to my course.
How is the commute? Do you have to pay for a Bus ticket? This may sound like a weird question, but here in Germany students get free bus tickets from their Unis...
I've also struggled to decide on an accomondation. I don't know whether I will need an en-suite bathroom or not, it also easily charges 100£ more a month. How do you pay your student accomondation? It seems like you do per week, which is a bit confusing to me?
I am torn between Lewes Court 1 and Park Houses. Which one is more sociable? Which one is closer to the School of Film and Media where I'll most likely be studying? How are the bathrooms? How many people use the same one?
Are there wasching machines in all accomondation?

Sorry for the overload, I'm really thankful for any answer!!

Hi moonaddict,
Yes Sussex offers joint honour degrees (two subjects combined together) and also pathways which you can take in the first two years of your course in a subject unrelated to your major. I'm not too sure about Journalism in relation to joint honours or pathways so I would suggest emailing or ringing Admissions ( you should be able to find their number on the Sussex website) and asking about incorporating some politics into your course!

In terms of commuting you can walk from all of the on campus accommodations to your lecture theatres in under fifteen minutes. Unfortunately to travel into Brighton (the nearest town) you will need to pay for the bus or train. Most students opt for the bus as it costs £3.00 for a DayRider which means you can go into town and back to campus as many times as you like in one day.

I think the en-suite houses are over priced. I share a bathroom with 11 other peoples (two toilets and two showers) and I haven't had any problems so far!
I pay for my student accommodation per term I believe. I am assuming it is the same for EU students. You don't pay weekly.

I live in Norwich house( one of the Park Houses) which is very sociable however it is a very old building and it is often very noisy (because of 11 housemates!) which can make sleeping and studying difficult sometimes. I personally prefer Lewes Court as it is slightly more modern than the Park Houses and it feels more homely. You are also sharing with less people which means everything should hopefully stay cleaner. I believe the Park Houses will be nearer to your lecture theatres.

Park Houses and Lewes Court both have to use the Laundrette on campus as neither have washing machines in the accommodation. it is £3.00 per wash and £1 for thirty minutes in the dryer.

I hope I have helped!
Any other questions?
Original post by KayaRose
Hi johnd45,
I think there is a possibility that they will still accept you but I would ring admissions to check!

Thanks KayaRose, I really appreciate the response :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Hi KayaRose,

Thanks for the thread, quite kind of you :-).

I'm an international student (applying from Africa). I have an unconditional for MA International Relations. I would kindly like to know about the cost of living -- average for a month? I don't drink, club etc

Thanks
Fellow current year here, also in Norwich House, (Creepy isn't it).
Anybody needs any help with foundation let me know
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
Fellow current year here, also in Norwich House, (Creepy isn't it).
Anybody needs any help with foundation let me know

How many "houses" are there? what's the difference between them? and Could you make an attempt at ranking best to worst and why?

That's be really helpful, since park houses really seems to be the wildcard 🙃
when's the best time of the day to move in during move in day???
Reply 29
Original post by ludd-sama
How many "houses" are there? what's the difference between them? and Could you make an attempt at ranking best to worst and why?

That's be really helpful, since park houses really seems to be the wildcard 🙃

Hi ludd-sama,
There are four Park Houses: Norwich,Lancaster,Kent and York.
Unfortunately you don't get to pick which house you want to live in ( at least when I applied you didn't) I think Lancaster has had works done recently so I think that is probably the best however I haven't actually been inside this year. York house is good with a large common room and computer cluster however campus security is also located here so the parties generally don't go on for as long. I also haven't been inside Kent house so I can't really advise for that one either. Norwich is where I live and it located up a little hill. Its the oldest of the Park Houses I believe and you can kinda tell. It is in desperate need of renovating and the first thing I noticed when I moved in was the darkness of the communal corridor.
Generally the Park Houses are known for being quite sociable. You effectively live with 11 other people and share bathroom and kitchen facilities.
I hope this helps!
Reply 30
Original post by akoh
Hi KayaRose,

Thanks for the thread, quite kind of you :-).

I'm an international student (applying from Africa). I have an unconditional for MA International Relations. I would kindly like to know about the cost of living -- average for a month? I don't drink, club etc

Thanks

Hi Akoh,
Are you on campus? If so you can expect to pay around £400-600 a month depending on which accommodation you stay in (this includes bills)
Food costs on average £80-100 a month depending on if you eat meat and which supermarket you choose.
Travel costs will vary. If you want to go into town say three times a week it will cost around £27 a month but you can get yearly bus tickets which will probably work out cheaper.
Gym membership here is around £18 a month on campus.
I hope this helps!
Reply 31
Original post by CierraBelle
when's the best time of the day to move in during move in day???

Hi CierraBelle,
I moved in at around 1pm on the Saturday. You can arrive on the Saturday or the Sunday. I don't think it really matters when you move in if I'm honest. Half of my flat arrived on the Saturday and half on the Sunday. Arriving before midday is probably a good shout because you can get unpacked before you go out with your housemates in the evening!
Reply 32
i am trying to figure out what the best accommodation for me would be
I am not into partying but don't want a totally dead flat either. I am considering a quiet flat but is it true that these are taken up a lot by internationals? I want to be able to meet people and fear that if I pick a quiet flat I won't get to know anyone
Are there any accommodation that is known to attract party lovers and is there any where more quiet/studious people go e.g. northfield as it is so far away is it less sociable?
I am considering northfield, lewes court and swanborough at the moment
Reply 33
Original post by Bobbs
i am trying to figure out what the best accommodation for me would be
I am not into partying but don't want a totally dead flat either. I am considering a quiet flat but is it true that these are taken up a lot by internationals? I want to be able to meet people and fear that if I pick a quiet flat I won't get to know anyone
Are there any accommodation that is known to attract party lovers and is there any where more quiet/studious people go e.g. northfield as it is so far away is it less sociable?
I am considering northfield, lewes court and swanborough at the moment

Hi Bobbs,
Avoid East Slope and Park Houses if you don't want it to be loud. I think really it's the luck of the draw in the other accommodations as lots of parties happen at all of the accommodations. International students are mixed in with the home students as far as I'm aware of. I think you need to be aware that you may not like your housemates so be prepared to go to societies to make friends and to get to know people. I would probably go with Lewes Court as I believe it is quite quiet but if you can afford Swanborough then maybe go there as it is the nicest !
Hope this helps
Original post by KayaRose
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hi another quick question, did you find out your timetable for lectures, seminars and workshops before you moved to Sussex or like the first day your course started? Thanks!
Reply 35
Thank you very much for your response, KayaRose. It was very helpful.
Reply 36
1. Do mushrooms grow in the showers of East Slope?
2. Do people generally get accepted into courses easily? even if you get DDD and the requirements are CCC?
3. Do people get their first accommodation choice? I chose Park houses as my first accommodation.
4. Do foundation year students get treated like undergraduates? Like lectures etc.
Original post by Hefty11
1. Do mushrooms grow in the showers of East Slope?
2. Do people generally get accepted into courses easily? even if you get DDD and the requirements are CCC?
3. Do people get their first accommodation choice? I chose Park houses as my first accommodation.
4. Do foundation year students get treated like undergraduates? Like lectures etc.

1. Rumour has it, they may be magic
2. Depends on your course
3. Generally, unless its your insurance
4. Yes
Reply 38
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
1. Rumour has it, they may be magic
2. Depends on your course
3. Generally, unless its your insurance
4. Yes

I'm taking Foundation Year computer science, reckon if i get below CCC ill be accepted, like CCD?
Original post by Hefty11
I'm taking Foundation Year computer science, reckon if i get below CCC ill be accepted, like CCD?

No idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending