The Student Room Group

Has immigration made us less safe?

The news that a British army officer has joined ISIS is kind of sobering but another example of the pitfalls of immigration. With the rise of Islamic terrorism do you think that immigration has made us less safe.

Scroll to see replies

Immigration has both helped us and ruined us.
I don't see any sikhs or Indians joining ISIS.

I think immigration has helped us, to an extent.
immigration of good and skilled people is good
immigration of barbarian apes from third world country with ****ed up common sense and violent culture is bad
Looking at terrorism...... Off the top of my head, number of Brits killed by Islamic terrorists in the UK:
2016: 0
2015: 0
2014: 0
2013: 1
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0

Which isn't to say that there isn't a risk and there may be a big terrorist attack in the future (our security services and police seem to be doing an adequate job), however the risk needs to be place in context: 30,000 deaths a year are linked to obesity. A Brit is far more likely to die from excessive cake than Islamic terrorism. So, no, I don't believe it has made us much less safe. People just perceive that it has.
Original post by karl pilkington
The news that a British army officer has joined ISIS is kind of sobering but another example of the pitfalls of immigration. With the rise of Islamic terrorism do you think that immigration has made us less safe.

Which story is this? You mean the Merchant Navy story?

Has it made us less safe? Most of them are homegrown, unless you mean immigration through the ages.

You would be better looking at foreign policy for things that have made us less safe. Hundred times more significant.

Safe is also a relative concept. More people are killed on the roads every day, than have died from domestic terrorism in the last ten years.
Original post by Quantex
Looking at terrorism...... Off the top of my head, number of Brits killed by Islamic terrorists in the UK:
2016: 0
2015: 0
2014: 0
2013: 1
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0

Which isn't to say that there isn't a risk and there may be a big terrorist attack in the future (our security services and police seem to be doing an adequate job), however the risk needs to be place in context: 30,000 deaths a year are linked to obesity. A Brit is far more likely to die from excessive cake than Islamic terrorism. So, no, I don't believe it has made us much less safe. People just perceive that it has.

You really are mad aren't you? Comparing obesity to terrorism is laughable. Terrorism is a result of someone elses behaviour, obesity is self inflicted. Also there have been a huge number of terrorist attacks foiled and prevented by mi5

Sorry, I'm not aware of the facts concerning the officer. Could you say a bit more as to why you think the case exemplifies immigration pitfalls? Thanks.
Original post by 999tigger
Which story is this? You mean the Merchant Navy story?

Has it made us less safe? Most of them are homegrown, unless you mean immigration through the ages.

You would be better looking at foreign policy for things that have made us less safe. Hundred times more significant.

Safe is also a relative concept. More people are killed on the roads every day, than have died from domestic terrorism in the last ten years.

Most of them are homegrown you mean second or third generation immigrants? Also by foreign policy you mean not invading foreign islamic countries for fear of angering our own growing Muslim diaspora
Most of them are homegrown you mean second or third generation immigrants? Also by foreign policy you mean not invading foreign islamic countries for fear of angering our own growing Muslim diaspora

I mean terrorist incidents involve UK citizens.
A large portion of the UK population are immigrants, it just depends how far you want to go back.

Not quite. I mean that our foreign policy has resulted in the destabilisation of certain countries, which in turn have led to the rise of terrorist organisations. Without such intervention, then they wouldnt exist .
Too many apologists
Original post by Davide_online
Sorry, I'm not aware of the facts concerning the officer. Could you say a bit more as to why you think the case exemplifies immigration pitfalls? Thanks.

A Kuwaiti born man trained as a British officer in the navy. He has now joined ISIS. His knowledge of the navy means he now poses a security risk to our ships and ports as he understands how they operate. Had he not been an immigrant it would be much less likely that he would have joined ISIS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578888/Navy-officer-trained-British-college-joins-ISIS.html
Original post by 999tigger
I mean terrorist incidents involve UK citizens.
A large portion of the UK population are immigrants, it just depends how far you want to go back.

Not quite. I mean that our foreign policy has resulted in the destabilisation of certain countries, which in turn have led to the rise of terrorist organisations. Without such intervention, then they wouldnt exist .

Most terrorists are at least third generation immigrants also their motives (Le RIgby killers, 7/7, glasgow attacks) are usually due to Iraq and Afghanistan.
A Kuwaiti born man trained as a British officer in the navy. He has now joined ISIS. His knowledge of the navy means he now poses a security risk to our ships and ports as he understands how they operate. Had he not been an immigrant it would be much less likely that he would have joined ISIS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578888/Navy-officer-trained-British-college-joins-ISIS.html

The Merchant Navy is not the same thing as the Royal Navy.

It's definitely not the same thing as the Army.

This guy won't know anything that can't be found out online.

Massive non story.
Most terrorists are at least third generation immigrants also their motives (Le RIgby killers, 7/7, glasgow attacks) are usually due to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Whats your point?
I was trying to get you to clarify which bits of immigration policy you were talking about? I will also assume its about the Merchant Navy bloke and not an Army officer.
The question should be: has immigration made your life more dangerous? Have you ever been in a situation where your life was in danger because of an immigrant? In my case the answer is no, and no matter how bad the media make it look I don't think it will happen any time soon.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
The question should be: has immigration made your life more dangerous? Have you ever been in a situation where your life was in danger because of an immigrant? In my case the answer is no, and no matter how bad the media make it look I don't think it will happen any time soon.

you never leave your cuckshed so it's not an issue
You really are mad aren't you? Comparing obesity to terrorism is laughable. Terrorism is a result of someone elses behaviour, obesity is self inflicted. Also there have been a huge number of terrorist attacks foiled and prevented by mi5

So rather than addressing my salient point that there has been 1 death in more than six years therefore it is difficult to argue that Islamic terrorism posses a considerable risk, you declare me mad?

As for obesity being the result of individual behaviour, obesity in the UK is far higher than in say France, on that basis it seems to be at least part a societal problem, one that we seem reluctant to address. However I can use different examples. Air pollution is linked to 40,000 early deaths a year. If the smart people of TSR want to make the UK a less risky and healthy place, they'd be having debates on how to reduce nitrous dioxide emissions than fixating on Islam all the time.

Thing is people are really crap at assessing risk. They see an act of terrorism on the TV and assume they are in danger. Some change their views and behaviour as a result, they become receptive to giving up our values, and in doing so hand terrorists a victory. But the cold hard truth is terrorism poses a very small risk to any given Brit as you life will most likely be shortened by something much more mundane.
I think immigration has been great. We live in a diverse and beautiful society:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is everyone so keen to make excuses for it? The fact is it has made our country and people less safe, not me as an individual obviously. If we were to get involved in a major conflict with a middle eastern country we would have a huge problem. You have had situations where people have gone and fought against British troops in Afghanistan. People who were born and brought up here actually going and fighting against our troops!. As well as the huge numbers joining ISIS. This is the fundamental problem with immigration. It seeks to pretend that just because someone was born here that they are exactly the same as someone whose family has been here for a thousand years when their loyalties lie elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending