The Student Room Group

Do employers slightly favor looks over qualification?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
because that doesn't reflect how well you can work

The reality is that everyone going for a job interview will be able to do the job, they'll all have good qualifications and relevant experience. Generally the interview (at entry level) is less about finding out whether you can do the job and more about whether you're a good fit for the culture of the company.

Essentially that means whether the interviewer likes you or not and if they could work with you. Its not fair, but looks are a big part of first impressions. They're not everything though and wont make up for being unskilled or obnoxious.
Reply 21
Original post by dean01234
The reality is that everyone going for a job interview will be able to do the job, they'll all have good qualifications and relevant experience. Generally the interview (at entry level) is less about finding out whether you can do the job and more about whether you're a good fit for the culture of the company.

Essentially that means whether the interviewer likes you or not and if they could work with you. Its not fair, but looks are a big part of first impressions. They're not everything though and wont make up for being unskilled or obnoxious.

I can see so much bias coming into here.
depends i don't anyone would veer hire me though ._.
I can see so much bias coming into here.
depends i don't anyone would veer hire me though ._.

I doubt that, I'm sure you're a much more likable person compared with lots of people who are already working. Part time job hunting is a numbers game, ask around and see if friends know of any places that are hiring.
Reply 23
I doubt that, I'm sure you're a much more likable person compared with lots of people who are already working. Part time job hunting is a numbers game, ask around and see if friends know of any places that are hiring.

Only once you get to truly know me.
on the outside my first impression aren't really that good.
i have no friends.... that's part of the problem.....
Only once you get to truly know me.
on the outside my first impression aren't really that good.
i have no friends.... that's part of the problem.....

Everyone has positive attributes, but not self pity isn't going to help your case. Put your self out there, find things that you enjoy doing and everything else has a way of falling into place.
Reply 25
Everyone has positive attributes, but not self pity isn't going to help your case. Put your self out there, find things that you enjoy doing and everything else has a way of falling into place.

Thing is i don't know how to put myself out there......

the things i enjoy aren't the things i'll ever get a job in.
Thing is i don't know how to put myself out there......

the things i enjoy aren't the things i'll ever get a job in.

I'm not talking about work, I'm talking about life in general.
Reply 27
I'm not talking about work, I'm talking about life in general.

oh i see.

i really only go out if necessary though i'm just a recluse living in the safety of their house
Certainly if you're looking to be a waiter/waitress./flight crew; its basically a respectable form of cock sucking.
If its any kind of low paid customer facing role then yes, absolutely. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of retail sales assistants, hospitality workers, receptionists, bar staff etc are young and stereotypically ''good looking''

For a bog standard office job then no, as long as you dress and act professionally. They won't care if you're overweight, have greasy hair or wear too much make up but they sure as hell will care if you can't do your top button up, have dirty fingernails or BO, unironed clothes etc.
Original post by Laomedeia
McDonalds tend to hire spotty teenagers. But a schitty Mcdonalds cafe aint gonna be able to attract decent employees are they.

That's not true
oh i see.

i really only go out if necessary though i'm just a recluse living in the safety of their house

*laugh*

Just kidding look in the spoiler.

*laugh*

Okay. Seriously. Next one.

You said you want to start working.

How old are you?
Have you got enough time to focus on work and studies?
Any previous experience?
Have you ever been on an interview?
Have you ever created cv/cover letter?
Would you rather work in an office or retail?
Own transport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by sr90
If its any kind of low paid customer facing role then yes, absolutely. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of retail sales assistants, hospitality workers, receptionists, bar staff etc are young and stereotypically ''good looking''

For a bog standard office job then no, as long as you dress and act professionally. They won't care if you're overweight, have greasy hair or wear too much make up but they sure as hell will care if you can't do your top button up, have dirty fingernails or BO, unironed clothes etc.

I guess.... that fair enough.
right....
obviously hygiene is an important factor
Original post by Impressive
*laugh*

Just kidding look in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm 17
no
i've volunteered in a charity shop for almost 3 years now,,,,
no
yes, however it's been about 2 years since i updated it
any would be fine right now...
nope however maybe i could get a bus
I guess.... that fair enough.
right....
obviously hygiene is an important factor

i'm 17
no
i've volunteered in a charity shop for almost 3 years now,,,,
no
yes, however it's been about 2 years since i updated it
any would be fine right now...
nope however maybe i could get a bus

If you don't have the time to focus on both, it's not worth it. You'll just end up leaving your current job or there will be huge impact on your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Impressive
If you don't have the time to focus on both, it's not worth it. You'll just end up leaving your current job or there will be huge impact on your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i see
As someone mentioned above, studies have demostrated a 'halo' effect where looks are concerned. From an evolutionary point of view, human beings have always correlated positive, non aesthetic, traits with appearance - the phenotype is a quick way to determine genetic superiority, and mating suitability. As such, those who are considering good looking are also deemed to be, predominantly on a subconscious level, more capable in other respects - whetehr that be in terms of intelligence, compassion, sociability etc.

Of course, on a more conscious level, bias can depend upon the employer, the industry and those conducting interviews/the hiring process. Certain industries/employers which require the applicant to be client facing or to espouse a brand image, i.e. fashion, good looking candidates will be favoured.

Ultimately, I would suggest that, with the exception of certain industries and employers, this effect is secondary to qualifications/job suitability. It is also largely irrelevant, unless one is considering modelling, as, besides the basics of adherence to a basic grasp of style, grooming and self-care, very little can be done about one's appearance. I would add, however, that I recently read an article on PsychologyToday which cited a study suggesting that these factors - style, self-care, grooming, confidence etc. - have a far greater effect on the projected image of an individual than natural good looks.
Every recruiting panel I've sat on has hired the candidate that demonstrated the most enthusiasm for the role - even over ability/track record in some cases (noone wants to manage someone who doesn't want to be there - enthusiasm will make up for a LOT of other issues with an application).
Lets put it this way, a receptionist who was rude, has a tongue piercing and is covered in massive tattoos isn't exactly an impressive way to stand out is it? First impressions count as being the face of the company.
I kinda get what you mean but then at the same time most people who go in a shop don't really pay that much attention to the appearance of the staff working there.
Is the best person for the job hired?

or

Is the person who's slightly less qualified but much better looking hired?

I suppose it partly depends on the job at question.

If it is a customer, face-to-face job then most certainly.

Quick Reply

Latest