The Student Room Group

Fed up of doing bar/resteraunt work.

Over the last 5 months I've done bar work at 3 different places and it just didn't work out at any of those places. I'd rather not go into details but I want to try find some new work that isn't in a restaurant or pub. I've got only 4 months before I go to Uni and just want to do something different to get me some more cash to fund myself at uni, any ideas for what I could do?
Original post by BrainDeadHorse
Over the last 5 months I've done bar work at 3 different places and it just didn't work out at any of those places. I'd rather not go into details but I want to try find some new work that isn't in a restaurant or pub. I've got only 4 months before I go to Uni and just want to do something different to get me some more cash to fund myself at uni, any ideas for what I could do?

i feel your pain. im trying to get out of it as well...

stock assistant at aldi (or other places, i always see aldi positions advertised though), factory work, cleaner, maybe even a warehouse job if you sign up with agencies they might be able to get you warehouse work although its probably difficult, most of them will require experience. leaflet distribution. i want to eventually get a warehouse job when i go back to uni, so i signed up with angard (the staffing agency) to be a casual mail sorter at the royal mail. if you are ok with warehouse work, i suggest you do this, because this gives you warehouse experience and you would be able to get a part time job in a similar position if you want to have a part time job at uni.

would you be ok with retail work as a cashier or do you not want any customer service jobs at all? since you have bar experience, you could apply to supermarkets to be a cashier as well, if you have customer service experience theres a good chance they will take you on.
Hookers do quite well. Problem is that you have to be a girl.
Original post by AhmedMA99
Hookers do quite well. Problem is that you have to be a girl.

Lol you dont have to be a girl to be a prostitute.
Original post by lolakirk
i feel your pain. im trying to get out of it as well...

stock assistant at aldi (or other places, i always see aldi positions advertised though), factory work, cleaner, maybe even a warehouse job if you sign up with agencies they might be able to get you warehouse work although its probably difficult, most of them will require experience. leaflet distribution. i want to eventually get a warehouse job when i go back to uni, so i signed up with angard (the staffing agency) to be a casual mail sorter at the royal mail. if you are ok with warehouse work, i suggest you do this, because this gives you warehouse experience and you would be able to get a part time job in a similar position if you want to have a part time job at uni.

would you be ok with retail work as a cashier or do you not want any customer service jobs at all? since you have bar experience, you could apply to supermarkets to be a cashier as well, if you have customer service experience theres a good chance they will take you on.

Did warehouse work, it was the most boring job I've ever done.
Did warehouse work, it was the most boring job I've ever done.

Well since we are students, 'boring' is the best we can hope for work-wise, dont we. It could be worse than boring. I work in fast food and its worse than boring. Its shitty customers and a hot kitchen and smelly clothes and all that...
Reply 6

I feel your pain, I did bar work for nearly 7 years. Crippling :tongue:

This thread reminds me why I don't want to go back doing bar and restaurant jobs. Customers who thinks they can get away with not paying for food they've already eaten fully clean from the plate, then complaining about how expensive the dishes are, well how do you think I get paid?!

OK enough of me ranting, I suggest you register to various agencies. Pick one of the vacancies that don't require experience (potentially difficult to find obviously) then in the meantime volunteer or do an internship somewhere that may interest you.
I got very lucky in finding work that wasn't bar and restaurant work; you just basically need to ask around - thats what I did.
Original post by Boreism
This thread reminds me why I don't want to go back doing bar and restaurant jobs. Customers who thinks they can get away with not paying for food they've already eaten fully clean from the plate, then complaining about how expensive the dishes are, well how do you think I get paid?!

OK enough of me ranting, I suggest you register to various agencies. Pick one of the vacancies that don't require experience (potentially difficult to find obviously) then in the meantime volunteer or do an internship somewhere that may interest you.
I got very lucky in finding work that wasn't bar and restaurant work; you just basically need to ask around - thats what I did.

Yeah spent today scrounging around for some work, word of advice DONT work for big restaurant/pub chains find independent places/small chains to work at. It's annoying NONE of the nearby supermarkets are hiring and the only vacancy is 5 shifts of 2 in the morning till 10. :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending