The Student Room Group

IVF on the NHS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainhuman
So, tell me, why should this particular scenario deserve money from a social pot and others not? I mean that is what the NHS essentially is. A country wide health insurance. You should get the treatment from the social pot because you really really want something?

How about you get a psychologist who helps you accept that you can't have kids.

I'm sure they have already accepted that they can't have children, which is why they ask for help. I don't know why you're insisting that's it's a psychological problem, when it's clearly physical.

You should get the treatment because there is no other way you can carry a child.
Original post by cherryred90s
I'm sure they have already accepted that they can't have children, which is why they ask for help. I don't know why you're insisting that's it's a psychological problem, when it's clearly physical.

You should get the treatment because there is no other way you can carry a child.

God to you really don't get it.

It is a physical problem, yes, but it is not phsyically harmful to you. That is the entire point.

And you are even contradicting yourself now, just some posts ago you were saying how devastating it is for a woman not to be able to conceive. Now all of a sudden it's physical again.
Reply 62
It is a physical problem, yes, but it is not phsyically harmful to you. That is the entire point.

You wouldn't object to having an operation to make you infertile then?
God to you really don't get it.

And you are even contradicting yourself now, just some posts ago you were saying how devastating it is for a woman not to be able to conceive. Now all of a sudden it's physical again.

omg, just forget it. Not arguing with you any longer
Original post by hovado

What kind of stupid argument is that?

And there are plenty of people that do actually.
Original post by hovado

Many women are denied sterilisation by medical professionals due to the misogynistic view that all women desire to be incubators for offspring, when in reality they are disgusted by children and never in their life want them.
Original post by hovado
We have yet another healthcare postcode lottery when it comes to IVF with more and more Clinical Commissioning Groups cutting funding for IVF treatment, in same cases IVF is now only provided where the patient is undergoing cancer treatment or has HIV.

Provision of healthcare based on postcode surely cannot be justified so what do you feel the NHS should be doing as a whole?

I don't think IVF should be on the nhs at all, it's not a service to keep a person heathy.

If someone wants a child but finds it difficult to conceive then they should pay for it themselves or leave it to chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
What kind of stupid argument is that?

Well if it isn't harmful why would you object?
How is morning sickness/contractions/painful childbirth benefitting you?
How is putting your social life on hold benefitting you?
How is running on a lack of sleep because of waking up 3-4 times in the middle of the night benefitting you?
How is spending a majority of your expendable income on someone else benefitting you?

Why would you do all of that by choice?
Original post by hovado
I dunno, not passing on your genes could be seen as selfish, not putting any effort into creating the next generation seems quite selfish.

Not creating more people to leach off taxes is selfish?
Original post by DiddyDec
Why would you do all of that by choice?

Because you get to watch a part of you grow and develop I suppose. It's different for everyone, but those things I've mentioned are not selfish.
Reply 71
Not creating more people to leach off taxes is selfish?

Are children born from IVF less likely to be net contributers or something?
Original post by hovado
Well if it isn't harmful why would you object?

Every surgery has risks...
Because you get to watch a part of you grow and develop I suppose. It's different for everyone, but those things I've mentioned are not selfish.

So for your own pleasure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hovado
Are children born from IVF less likely to be net contributers or something?

All children have the potential to be leaches.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So for your own pleasure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything we do is selfish in one way or another. Not having children is arguably selfish too. It's down to self preference
All children have the potential to be leaches.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So should everyone be forcibly sterilised?
Every surgery has risks...

Oh give it up. Even if there were no risks involved, you wouldn't voluntarily make yourself infertile :colonhash:
Oh give it up. Even if there were no risks involved, you wouldn't voluntarily make yourself infertile :colonhash:

If I wasn't infertile already, I'd want to be sterilised.

I wouldn't want to break my leg either. What's your point.

There are a lot of things I wouldn't want to do.

And why am I so important here? There are many, many people who make themselves voluntarily infertile.

Who the **** are you to decide that this is such an important matter it should be paid for by the NHS?

ps btw, if I was actually infertile and wanted to reproduce, yea I can see why I would want to get free help. But I also know if it were that important to me, I'd pay off it.

Quick Reply

Latest