The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel like they've wasted quite a lot of their life???

Scroll to see replies

In this situation I'd say that it truly depends upon what you want from life. You say that you're unsure of what you want (and believe me I understand where you're coming from here!), in which case I'd say that it might be best to figure out what makes you happy instead. :smile: The whole concept of having a 'fulfilled' life is way more subjective now than it was as late as twenty years ago, and I think that is a very liberating thought. In the fifties, if a woman wasn't settled down and married by the age of 21, she was usually considered some form of spinster. :tongue: Nowadays I'd say we have far more choice in what we can do, without the risk of being scorned by society, so your options have increased.

I think you should try to stop being so hard on yourself, take a step back and think about what makes you happy. Maybe make a list of the things that you want and start with small, easy to reach goals. Because yes life is short and sometimes reminiscent of a vast and scary ocean of potentially missed opportunities, but life is also too short to worry about these things. :smile: And you can make of it what you want.
Original post by Multitalented me
I feel that way, I'm 24 but due to a real lack of confidence/motivation & not knowing what I want do I only feel as if I've got off the starting blocks just now. I feel a lot of other people are ahead of me such as having a solid career/career plan, passing their driving test, having many friends, relationships etc. I feel as a result I'm putting too much pressure on myself to make up for it, instead of maybe relaxing a bit more, & not try to do too many things at once. Mentally I feel younger than I really am due to wasting all those years of my life. I don't feel as if I've lived it anywhere near to my fullest potential, & yeah, it does get to me. Anyone with similar experiences to make me feel better about myself haha???

Heya,

I think a lot of people feel like this at some point and I know I certainly have, particularly as my best friend just bought her own house!

However, I think you just need to be cautious about comparing yourself to others, go at your own pace and think about what it is that you really want rather than what others have going on- decide something this week that you really want to do and have fancied doing for a while and just go do it! :biggrin:
I feel like this a lot nowadays. I feel like I've missed out a lot due to my health as that has made me housebound for a while in the past, I was in and out of the doctors and hospitals and my health made me do a half arsed attempt with everything in my life. I regret now sticking in more at school too. I passed everything but could have done so much better and I wish I had kept singing and wish I didn't let bullies and nasty people shatter my confidence at the one thing I was sure I could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like i'm at the point where a lot ofstuff i have done is worthwhile, but its potential will be fully realised in a few months after adding something else to it. Which kind of sucks when you spend three years on a degree and its no longer enough, and you need works experience otherwise they dont care.
I'm about to finish uni at 22 instead of 21 because I had to do year 10 twice... Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I never lost that year. Dammit!
Life is just ****ing useless.
OP, the best thing is to give up and never make any hopes then you wont be disappointed

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to do anything remarkable to be worthwhile and valid.

Too many in society think that a person's success can be measured by what hoops they jump through. I think that is so sad. Just being here and just being you is enough.
I feel that way, I'm 24 but due to a real lack of confidence/motivation & not knowing what I want do I only feel as if I've got off the starting blocks just now. I feel a lot of other people are ahead of me such as having a solid career/career plan, passing their driving test, having many friends, relationships etc. I feel as a result I'm putting too much pressure on myself to make up for it, instead of maybe relaxing a bit more, & not try to do too many things at once. Mentally I feel younger than I really am due to wasting all those years of my life. I don't feel as if I've lived it anywhere near to my fullest potential, & yeah, it does get to me. Anyone with similar experiences to make me feel better about myself haha???

Thats how I feel there are so many people younger than me that are making money that are doing so much more, they already have their own businesses. i think it does have a lot to do with having the right information. If i knew what I knew now a few years ago I would have been so much further in life. I guess you have to deal the cards you are dealt and just do what makes you happy and also try not to compare your life to other because you don't know what they've done and been through.
I feel like that sometimes too and i am only 18

what is wrong with me?
I wasted 29 year five more than you so just chill

Well, when I revise, I get distracted a lot and procrastinate so much sometimes. It really does feel like I am wasting so much precious time. I do have solid plans for the future though which I am very dedicated to achieving. I have made career plans and all that.
Original post by studos
you would waste your life if you sit down for hours to write an assignment full of equations in Word just to get extra marks for your patience to do so just to get a 1st degree in order to get into investment banking and work 15h to get more money that you would spend on expensive london

Lol good banter studos, very funny 😂
Nah playing 3000 hours of civ was worth it
Not intentionally, but I have been in the wrong places at the wrong time sometimes for years...

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are some goals I have that I'd like to acgieve by the time I'm 30 which is several years off yet, if I don't achieve them then yeah, I'll be thinking "WTF what have I been doing all this time!". That said, I'm not all about spending all of my waking hours being productive, life is short and you've gotta enjoy the time you have.
Yeah, this feeling tends to happen when you study at Dudley Sixth.
Yup!

Are you feeling a lot better today?
Original post by jamesthehustler
OP, i'm 21 and well considering how long i spend floundering in my chosen field not doing research and make repeated losses
i wasted a third of my life virtually as i have only started making anything in the past year maybe 18 months
say 3 years ago i'd spend £30 to make £5 or £15 to make £1 now i spend £1,000 and make anywhere from £700 to £2,500 at a time

ur only 21 bro wait another decade before you claim to have wasted a third of ur life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest