The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Petrol isn't cheap, he might be short on cash but would have rather you paid for petrol for him to give you a ride rather than spending it on a train. How much petrol money did you give and how much would your train have cost.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my bf for a few months, he lives 55 miles away fr me. Stayed over & he insisted to drop me home instead of dropping me to the train station but asked me for petrol money. I got pissed coz he demanded something in return instead of doing it coz he care.

What do people think? :smile:

You'll have to pay for the train anyways.
He probably wants to spend more time with you?
Hmm.. tough one. Like said above, petrol is expensive. But then again I wouldn't offer a friend a ride if I was going to make them pay for it, I'm not a frickin' Uber. So I'd probably be a bit offended too. If he does it every time, I'd be even more offended and would stop taking his offers. But if he was just strapped for cash this once, I'd let it go. How much did you actually give him?
Asking after dropping you off is a bit of a dick move tbh.
If he was offering to drop you off to try and be compassionate and caring then why the f*ck ask for petrol money afterwards?
He should have been straight up about wanting you to pay petrol money before giving you a lift
Granted it would still be cheaper than a train but its far more considerate
I've been with my bf for a few months, he lives 55 miles away fr me. Stayed over & he insisted to drop me home instead of dropping me to the train station but asked me for petrol money. I got pissed coz he demanded something in return instead of doing it coz he care.

I can see this turning into a debate between drivers and non drivers (who sometimes seem to think that cars run of kind words and haribo)

If you lived ten minutes away I wouldnt ask but bear in mind thats a 110 mile round trip for him.

He dropped you home, its only decent you give him something for the journey as he saved you the price of a train journey.

The fact he was willing to go so out of his way would be a strong indicator
I wouldn;t ask my gf to give me money haha
Reply 8
depends how short on cash he is, like is he poor or quite loaded?

The intention from him was to help you out, now depending upon his financial situation will depend whether if the question asked in the title is considered "ok".

Though you have to remember regardless if he asked you for money for petrol that is a far better off option than paying for train fare and also gets you more time to spend with each other.
Travelling by car>Travelling by train

Cost of travelling by train>Cost of petrol money (I presume)

Spending a bit more time with your boyfriend>On a train with nothing but children and the great unwashed for company

A boyfriend who goes to the trouble of driving you that far>A boyfriend who doesn't

And you have the gall to complain...

If you offer to drop someone then you should not ask
If it were me, and I were short on cash, I'd rather let you get the train and not ask at all, than drive you and ask...!
Original post by mobbsy91
If it were me, and I were short on cash, I'd rather let you get the train and not ask at all, than drive you and ask...!

As others have said, it's a dick move to drop her off and say "I want petrol money for that btw" but the OP hasn't made it clear whether or not this happened. Nothing wrong though with saying "Rather than paying for the train, would you rather give me the money for petrol so I can drop you off instead? Wouldn't ask you for petrol money normally but I can't afford it atm and I thought you might prefer to go by car instead, entirely up to you though, whatever you'd prefer." :smile:
He probably just wanted a ride..
Do I need a car to ask for petrol money? :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hell Nah, If I'm offering the ride, I offer with no expectations. I offer it because I care. F*** the money, people are too money-driven these days.. piss take.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Petrol isn't cheap, he might be short on cash but would have rather you paid for petrol for him to give you a ride rather than spending it on a train. How much petrol money did you give and how much would your train have cost.

He has a decent full time job though. Yeah he was thinking of giving him what I would have spend on train + bus, approximately £15.

Petrol isn't cheap and 55 miles is a long way.

You should be grateful he drove you all that way home instead of complaining. A decent person would have offered petrol money
Original post by EllainKahlo
Hmm.. tough one. Like said above, petrol is expensive. But then again I wouldn't offer a friend a ride if I was going to make them pay for it, I'm not a frickin' Uber. So I'd probably be a bit offended too. If he does it every time, I'd be even more offended and would stop taking his offers. But if he was just strapped for cash this once, I'd let it go. How much did you actually give him?

It was his first time to ask me money to take me back. He's got a decent full time job. I would have said don't offer if you're gonna make me pay for it, I'd rather get the train looool

Latest