The Student Room Group

Help chem specimen paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/AQA-74042-SQP.PDF

Question 1 part 2

don't know what the thing will look like after it's been dehydrated using conc. sulfuric acid.
Reply 1
Original post by thefatone
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/AQA-74042-SQP.PDF

Question 1 part 2

don't know what the thing will look like after it's been dehydrated using conc. sulfuric acid.

A carbon will lose a hydrogen and hydroxyl group and form a double bound with its neighbour.
Reply 3
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
A carbon will lose a hydrogen and hydroxyl group and form a double bound with its neighbour.

i see...... i don't understand question 1 part 4 how do i calculate the percentage yield?
i see...... i don't understand question 1 part 4 how do i calculate the percentage yield?

% yield=actual yieldtheoretical yield×100\mathrm{\% \ yield = \dfrac{actual \ yield}{theoretical \ yield} \times 100}
Reply 5
% yield=actual yieldtheoretical yield×100\mathrm{\% \ yield = \dfrac{actual \ yield}{theoretical \ yield} \times 100}

How do i work out the theoretical yield?
How do i work out the theoretical yield?

Work out the moles of reactant and moles of expected product using stoichiometric ratios. Use the mol/mass triangle to workout the mass of expected product in grams. This is the theoretical yield.
Reply 7
Work out the moles of reactant and moles of expected product using stoichiometric ratios. Use the mol/mass triangle to workout the mass of expected product in grams. This is the theoretical yield.

So do i have to translate that skeletal formula into number of atoms so i can find the relative mass of the compound?
So do i have to translate that skeletal formula into number of atoms so i can find the relative mass of the compound?

Yup, there's Cs, Hs and Os to count.

Quick Reply

Latest