The Student Room Group

I'm a CMO for a Wealth Management Company. Feel free to AMA

Hey guys.

I am the Chief Marketing Officer for a medium sized wealth management company (£500 Million MUM).

I have a staff of 10 and like to get involved in the interview process.

I have been working in marketing for 5 years, I'm 28 and studied Economics at university. I did not get a marketing graduate scheme, or any graduate scheme.

If you have any questions about marketing as a career please feel free to ask.

Thanks.
Original post by CMOAMA
Hey guys.

I am the Chief Marketing Officer for a medium sized wealth management company (£500 Million MUM).

I have a staff of 10 and like to get involved in the interview process.

I have been working in marketing for 5 years, I'm 28 and studied Economics at university. I did not get a marketing graduate scheme, or any graduate scheme.

If you have any questions about marketing as a career please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

1. How did you rise to CMO in the short time frame of 5 years? What was the progression like (titles/timeframe to promotion)?

2. What does your current role involve on a day-to-day basis?

3. What do you look for in new recruits?

4. Why marketing and not being a wealth/financial advisor at your current firm?

5. Is your compensation tied to revenue or is it independent of revenue? Any rough figures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
1. How did you rise to CMO in the short time frame of 5 years? What was the progression like (titles/timeframe to promotion)?

2. What does your current role involve on a day-to-day basis?

3. What do you look for in new recruits?

4. Why marketing and not being a wealth/financial advisor at your current firm?

5. Is your compensation tied to revenue or is it independent of revenue? Any rough figures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. I joined an agency as a marketing associate, I was then promoted to marketing manager after 2 years, Senior Marketing Manager after a senior member of staff left (and much begging from my end) after another 8 months. I left for my current role around a year ago.

2, cliche, but every day really is different. First thing Monday morning is a senior staff breakfast meeting from 8 am, then I will get the marketing team together for our weekly full team meeting. After that each day/week is entirely dependent upon the activity planned. We hold monthly events for customers and clients so those weeks are particularly busy. some of my tasks include;
- I will meet with creative guys to discuss artwork and layout if we are updating/ creating any print at that time.
- I brief copy writers for online and print content
- Social media team planning meetings
- Meetings with research and analytics guys
- External meetings with service providers and prospective providers.

If you have a question about any part of my day above just ask.

3, I look for a genuine interest in marketing, whether you are super artistic, love a bit of google or Facebook analytics, or you write captivating copy. Where you went to university doesn't really interest me, I know idiots who went to red brick and old polys.
Your CV is important for a marketing role, as it is a piece of self marketing.
Bring something different, and be yourself, give me a short cover letter about what your interests are and i'm more willing to put you on the interview pile.

4, I have no interest in pension transfers, ISA set up or Tax,Wills & Trusts. for me all of that is very repetitive. For some it can be very lucrative, however you MUST be a good salesman to be a good financial adviser.

5, Yes and no. Basic salary is within the national average ( £65-£80,000). I am set to receive a bonus liked to enquiries and subsequent business.
Original post by CMOAMA
1. I joined an agency as a marketing associate, I was then promoted to marketing manager after 2 years, Senior Marketing Manager after a senior member of staff left (and much begging from my end) after another 8 months. I left for my current role around a year ago.

2, cliche, but every day really is different. First thing Monday morning is a senior staff breakfast meeting from 8 am, then I will get the marketing team together for our weekly full team meeting. After that each day/week is entirely dependent upon the activity planned. We hold monthly events for customers and clients so those weeks are particularly busy. some of my tasks include;
- I will meet with creative guys to discuss artwork and layout if we are updating/ creating any print at that time.
- I brief copy writers for online and print content
- Social media team planning meetings
- Meetings with research and analytics guys
- External meetings with service providers and prospective providers.

If you have a question about any part of my day above just ask.

3, I look for a genuine interest in marketing, whether you are super artistic, love a bit of google or Facebook analytics, or you write captivating copy. Where you went to university doesn't really interest me, I know idiots who went to red brick and old polys.
Your CV is important for a marketing role, as it is a piece of self marketing.
Bring something different, and be yourself, give me a short cover letter about what your interests are and i'm more willing to put you on the interview pile.

4, I have no interest in pension transfers, ISA set up or Tax,Wills & Trusts. for me all of that is very repetitive. For some it can be very lucrative, however you MUST be a good salesman to be a good financial adviser.

5, Yes and no. Basic salary is within the national average ( £65-£80,000). I am set to receive a bonus liked to enquiries and subsequent business.

Fantastic, thanks a bunch for the detailed response!

1. What is the rough % split of the activities outlined above? Which activity is your personal favourite and why?

2. Is there much travelling involved in your role?

3. What is your 5 year plan like? Where do you see yourself heading?

4. What advice would you give to uni students trying to figure out which career path to go down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Fantastic, thanks a bunch for the detailed response!

1. What is the rough % split of the activities outlined above? Which activity is your personal favourite and why?

2. Is there much travelling involved in your role?

3. What is your 5 year plan like? Where do you see yourself heading?

4. What advice would you give to uni students trying to figure out which career path to go down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem.
1, around 25% of my time is senior management (meetings about the company)50% of my time is spent with the various sub teams planning, creating and reviewing campaigns.final 25% is across 3rd party meetings and tasks.The best part is sitting with the teams creating and gathering peoples ideas.

2, Not too much international travel, however in my previous role we had a large contract with a fruit based company based in cupertino, so a few trips to San Fran.

3, 5 year plan is tough, but for the next 3 I am focused on doubling the turn over of my current employer (with others of course) and that is an exciting prospect.

4, If you decide what you want to do early, you are very lucky. Be realistic in your choices, choose something that you are interested in first, but be wary of restricting your options because of that choice. So if you study music, do not expect a job in investment banking straight out of uni.Pursue what interests you, and make career choices based around that if possible.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
What made you join TSR today and start this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

We are looking at starting a graduate scheme for one of the depts, so a member of HR was on TSR researching your FAQ's on schemes.

She mentioned the forum, I checked it out and thought i could help, as Im not a million years older than you guys and have had a pretty varied career already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending