The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Asking after dropping you off is a bit of a dick move tbh.
If he was offering to drop you off to try and be compassionate and caring then why the f*ck ask for petrol money afterwards?
He should have been straight up about wanting you to pay petrol money before giving you a lift
Granted it would still be cheaper than a train but its far more considerate

I completely agree with u, why offer & ask for petrol money? Got a decent job anyway, he should just drop me to the station & not ask anything.
He has a decent full time job though. Yeah he was thinking of giving him what I would have spend on train + bus, approximately £15.

You can't really complain then tbh if it cost you no more than what you would have spent on the train. Bit tight of him if he's financially okay, but I know first hand that people expect free rides not realising how expensive petrol is. If he dropped you off and then demanded that you pay him for the ride though that might seem a bit dickish, but then he might have been waiting for you to offer him petrol money first as is courteous and then felt within his rights to ask for it because he was annoyed that you didn't offer.
If he asks before and gives you the option then thats ok. he should only ask if he cant afford it or he's incurring significant expense becayse its a frequent thing.
He shouldnt have asked after its a bit cheeky, but its still not something to spit your dummy out over. If you dont wnat to pay then dont. Simplez.
Original post by silverbolt
I can see this turning into a debate between drivers and non drivers (who sometimes seem to think that cars run of kind words and haribo)

If you lived ten minutes away I wouldnt ask but bear in mind thats a 110 mile round trip for him.

He dropped you home, its only decent you give him something for the journey as he saved you the price of a train journey.

The fact he was willing to go so out of his way would be a strong indicator

True, it was a long way for him. It was the first time he asked so I was surprised. Would be better to have treated him for meal than ask for cash.
Asking after dropping you off is a bit of a dick move tbh.
If he was offering to drop you off to try and be compassionate and caring then why the f*ck ask for petrol money afterwards?
He should have been straight up about wanting you to pay petrol money before giving you a lift
Granted it would still be cheaper than a train but its far more considerate

As I just said to OP, given the act of kindness (as in, driving her 50+ miles rather than her getting on the train for a lengthy journey) he might have assumed that she was going to offer him petrol money, given that it would have cost her more to get on the train anyway). I often refuse petrol money when people offer it, but out of principle I get annoyed when people don't offer as I find it a bit rude, so he might have gotten a bit irked and decided to ask whether she was planning on offering him petrol and then taken it out of principle.
Original post by mkap
depends how short on cash he is, like is he poor or quite loaded?

He has a full time job & gets a decent salary.
rofl
Original post by tengentoppa
Travelling by car>Travelling by train

Cost of travelling by train>Cost of petrol money (I presume)

Spending a bit more time with your boyfriend>On a train with nothing but children and the great unwashed for company

A boyfriend who goes to the trouble of driving you that far>A boyfriend who doesn't

And you have the gall to complain...

That was what he was probably thinking, so instead of spending it on train fare give it to him. Just got annoyed when he actually asked for cash instead of a treat.
He has a full time job & gets a decent salary.

In that case it might've been a trade off. A rather understandable one. If you ever get a lift from someone the quite common pre-journey conversation goes something like this:

Person A: "I'll drive but you pay for petrol."
Person B: "All right. But I get to eat chips in the car."

End of.
Original post by ODES_PDES
If you offer to drop someone then you should not ask

Exactly!
Original post by mobbsy91
If it were me, and I were short on cash, I'd rather let you get the train and not ask at all, than drive you and ask...!

Haha... I would have rather he'd done that & didn't get annoyed than ask for cash in return.
Haha... I would have rather he'd done that & didn't get annoyed than ask for cash in return.

Yeh fair enough :rofl: Well, I'm sure he'll learn for next time - maybe... :colone:
Original post by K2G
Hell Nah, If I'm offering the ride, I offer with no expectations. I offer it because I care. F*** the money, people are too money-driven these days.. piss take.

That's what I was thinking too, he was money driven asking for something in return rather than doing it so it'll be more convenient for your gf. Then treat him at a restaurant next time.
Original post by 999tigger
If he asks before and gives you the option then thats ok. he should only ask if he cant afford it or he's incurring significant expense becayse its a frequent thing.
He shouldnt have asked after its a bit cheeky, but its still not something to spit your dummy out over. If you dont wnat to pay then dont. Simplez.

He asked me before but I said I'll just get on the train. Then still insisted!
I've been with my bf for a few months, he lives 55 miles away fr me. Stayed over & he insisted to drop me home instead of dropping me to the train station but asked me for petrol money. I got pissed coz he demanded something in return instead of doing it coz he care.

What do people think? :smile:

What a fascinating topic. I am tempted to say that it could be a lot worse: the bf might ask for a contribution, pro rata, towards the cost of maintaining the vehicle (:

Seriously, though, my response depends a lot on the exact context here. Is the bf in real difficulty financially, so that his request (I hope it was a request, not a demand) could be seen as an honest, even humble, bid to be practical with you? Has he given any other signs of being over-concerned with money, especially the smaller stuff like coffees out etc? Has he been giving you a lot of lifts and never asked for a contribution?

I wouldn't ask a GF for petrol money on a one-off trip or even a few. But if money was particularly tight and it was becoming an issue then I would look to discuss it with her without demands and, hopefully, expectations.
He asked me before but I said I'll just get on the train. Then still insisted!

Its really a load of rubbish to be bickering about petrol money. If he took you, even though you said you were going on the train, then id say he was taking you for free.

In any event 50 miles apart, squabbling over money is not a good recipe. he's always going to be the same or resent about money, so you might find it ending sooner rather than later. The only change imo is if you earn a lot more than he does and its costing him a lot. Still bad manners to ask you again.

Make your mind up.
I've been with my bf for a few months, he lives 55 miles away fr me. Stayed over & he insisted to drop me home instead of dropping me to the train station but asked me for petrol money. I got pissed coz he demanded something in return instead of doing it coz he care.

Petrol isn't cheep but it still it may be less than a train fair. Just accept the offer it sounds fair and kind I meen would you want to drive him every where without him paying petrol?
If you don't drive its hardly fair not to help him with petrol to drive you somewhere if you'd have to pay to get there anyway.
That was what he was probably thinking, so instead of spending it on train fare give it to him. Just got annoyed when he actually asked for cash instead of a treat.

He's not your valet. He's doing you a favour and asking you to go some way to making it possible. It's not cheap to travel such a distance.

This is equivalent to him making you dinner, and you getting annoyed because he asks you to set the table.
Reply 38

Him ****in wasting his time in a 130 km ride for your ass is actually pretty nice of him. I think he had plans for more time with youbut they didnt work
If hes working though, then its just the cost of having a gf that lives 55 miles away. Perhaps she should pay him and catch the train in future or just find a bf who lives closer. Its cheeky to ask, be refused, then offer to take and ask again at the end.

Latest

Trending

Trending