The Student Room Group

Why do we pay for NHS dental care, when we don't pay to see the doctor?

Today i went to the dentist for free, but, it just occurred to me why do we have to pay to see the dentist, when we don't pay to see the doctor?

I have not even seen a doctor for the past two years of my life because i have not been ill or sick.

So why do we pay?
The same way you dont pay at opticians unless you're under 18?

This sense of free entitlement in this country is shocking
Reply 2
You may not have paid a visit to the doctor in a while but a lot of people go on a regular basis for the smallest of reasons due to it being 'free'. This causes a lack of appointment availabilities and longer waiting times to be seen. If it were free to visit the dentist the same thing would happen. A lot of people tend to avoid visiting the dentist unless they REALLY have a problem - I'm sure a lot don't go regularly to avoid the costs.
Original post by sachinisgod
The same way you dont pay at opticians unless you're under 18?

This sense of free entitlement in this country is shocking

I don't think it's entitlement.

It's more of a 'what sort of stupid country doesn't guarantee its citizens free healthcare'.
Original post by thefatone
I'd like to change this conclusion to

Fat people who refuse to change and consume less resources to benefit the rest of the world should be left to die

Barbaric
Original post by samina_ay
Barbaric

should be reality however all people do is just "take care" of others and refuse to eliminate while they're still willing to save others.

CONTROVERSIAL COMMENT INCOMING

Spoiler

should be reality however all people do is just "take care" of others and refuse to eliminate while they're still willing to save others.

Spoiler

So you're saying someone who's ill should be killed cos they are wasting resources?

Lol. We'd all be dead by now and rotting in our graves.

Trying to live longer is what people want - so they can progress with their careers, bring up their children and meet other milestones in life.

If you are that keen on your opinion, sit at home when you fall very ill - don't bother going to GP or use any of the "resources" available to help you get better. Good day. X
Oh my god guys.

Spoiler

Might as well shut all the hospitals down. Don't get hurt, prepare everything 200 days in advance.

If you fall off a ladder and break your leg? Well you shouldn't have broken your leg then should you?
This country needs all the dental care it can get
Original post by samina_ay
So you're saying someone who's ill should be killed cos they are wasting resources?

Lol. We'd all be dead by now and rotting in our graves.

Trying to live longer is what people want - so they can progress with their careers, bring up their children and meet other milestones in life.

If you are that keen on your opinion, sit at home when you fall very ill - don't bother going to GP or use any of the "resources" available to help you get better. Good day. X

Haha not that totally the wrong idea, that was just an example not a real life situation i was referring to.

Sounds selfish, tbh though i'm not really bothered when i die, just dying early will be fine

Original post by iEthan
Oh my god guys.

Sorry for all the controversialness >.<
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Might as well shut all the hospitals down. Don't get hurt, prepare everything 200 days in advance.

If you fall off a ladder and break your leg? Well you shouldn't have broken your leg then should you?

LOL again that's not the a real life example i was referring to.
Reply 11
Original post by Blackstarr
Today i went to the dentist for free, but, it just occurred to me why do we have to pay to see the dentist, when we don't pay to see the doctor?

I have not even seen a doctor for the past two years of my life because i have not been ill or sick.

So why do we pay?

Don't worry buddy, give it a few years and you'll be paying for both...

Quick Reply

Latest