The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by memoryfish
I wouldn't even bother about reserve lists now...I'm currently on one with 5,5,6 for band o. I know some people who are on it with 6,6,7. Reserve lists are a complete waste of time, they're better off rejecting people than giving them a glimmer of hope that will never come about, especially if your so far down the so called 'merit list'

What area have you applied for? Does seem like a really weird system. Not getting my hopes up anyways.
Original post by Echopark88
What area have you applied for? Does seem like a really weird system. Not getting my hopes up anyways.

I applied for Manchester, I'm currently working as an AO with Hmrc and on reserve for band O. The recruitment within Hmrc is flawed as a whole. Different interviewers give different scores for competencies in the interviews, if you get lucky then you get a lenient person(s).

I've personally had competencies(for the sift) graded anything from 2-6 even though I just copied and pasted the same competency with exactly the same words etc...it's a joke
(edited 8 years ago)
I applied for Manchester, I'm currently working as an AO with Hmrc and on reserve for band O. The recruitment within Hmrc is flawed as a whole. Different interviewers give different scores for competencies in the interviews, if you get lucky then you get a lenient person(s).

I've personally had competencies(for the sift) graded anything from 2-6 even though I just copied and pasted the same competency with exactly the same words etc...it's a joke

Oh dear all very subjective then :frown: I've gone for Manchester too. Just going to have to keep my fingers crossed!
Oh dear all very subjective then :frown: I've gone for Manchester too. Just going to have to keep my fingers crossed!

Where was your interview? Trinity bridge house or Albert bridge house? To be honest I think my interview could have gone better, they probed me by asking me a few questions ....which is not a good sign. I was trying to give them what they wanted keeping in mind the framework etc... But I just couldn't pick up on what I may have missed out.
Reply 144
I lost all hope in the reserve list when they started a whole new campaign for Hidden Economy. Same grade, similar role etc.
Original post by SW19!
I lost all hope in the reserve list when they started a whole new campaign for Hidden Economy. Same grade, similar role etc.

Yeah, even though they tell you that you may be offered a similar role or same role they never do. The main reason for the reserve list is for them to not have to run a whole campaign thus saving money. I've also found that they are not really bothered about reservists and will run a brand new campaign. The only real chance of getting offered a role from the reserve list is if it's early days and you've only just been put on the list, other people may drop out because of the lengthy process/employment checks or they may find better jobs. If it's past that first month then you may as well withdraw you application.
(edited 8 years ago)
Where was your interview? Trinity bridge house or Albert bridge house? To be honest I think my interview could have gone better, they probed me by asking me a few questions ....which is not a good sign. I was trying to give them what they wanted keeping in mind the framework etc... But I just couldn't pick up on what I may have missed out.

It was the 1st April at Albert bridge house. They asked me lots of questions but they were more follow on questions and hoping that meant they just were interested in knowing more :/ - trying not to overanalyse it.
It was the 1st April at Albert bridge house. They asked me lots of questions but they were more follow on questions and hoping that meant they just were interested in knowing more :/ - trying not to overanalyse it.

Yeah them 'follow up' questions are asked to probe you to give them a reponse they can tick against the framework. The process is horrible.
Reply 148
Well, good luck to everyone that had an interview! Hopefully we can be sharing some good news on this forum on the 16th May.

I'm hoping I get either a formal offer or a complete and utter rejection......no more reserve lists please!!! Lol.
Original post by SW19!
Well, good luck to everyone that had an interview! Hopefully we can be sharing some good news on this forum on the 16th May.

I'm hoping I get either a formal offer or a complete and utter rejection......no more reserve lists please!!! Lol.

Lol. I'm like the queen of reserve lists at the minute currently on two and I entered a whole new world when I made the reserve list for an interview? That's a new one on me :tongue: hahah!

Good luck guys. Hope them 4weeks fly!
Reply 150
Original post by rebecca_:)
Lol. I'm like the queen of reserve lists at the minute currently on two and I entered a whole new world when I made the reserve list for an interview? That's a new one on me :tongue: hahah!

Good luck guys. Hope them 4weeks fly!

Lol! Yep, I have also suffered that experience as I am currently on reserve list for an interview with the Home Office. They informed me today that they have extended it for a further 3 months. Oh thank you so much!!! Haha! (I should maybe email them and let them know I'm only 40 years from retirement - just in case)
Original post by SW19!
Lol! Yep, I have also suffered that experience as I am currently on reserve list for an interview with the Home Office. They informed me today that they have extended it for a further 3 months. Oh thank you so much!!! Haha! (I should maybe email them and let them know I'm only 40 years from retirement - just in case)

Yeah - home office - exact same, they emailed me last Thursday & said I'm on hold and they'll update me before the 1st July. :P or send them a box of chocolates. That type of stuff! Lol.
I wouldn't lose hope about the reserve lists - I've always been offered a job after being placed on the reserve list, that said, I've always found something else before the offer.
Reply 153
Original post by Cmitten
I wouldn't lose hope about the reserve lists - I've always been offered a job after being placed on the reserve list, that said, I've always found something else before the offer.

Thanks for spreading some hope. You know, in my work they call me the bench warmer.....cause I'm always in reserve! Lol!!
Original post by Cmitten

Seriously ? What grade were your offers for?
Seriously ? What grade were your offers for?

AO, EO (been placed on a reserve list 3 times for EO jobs and got offered something after all of them - longest wait was about 5 months, shortest 3 weeks.).
There's obviously something to hope for then, were your competency scores relatively good then? Do you think you would have been at the top of the reserve list?
(edited 8 years ago)
There's obviously something to hope for then, were your competency scores relatively good then? Do you think you would have been at the top of the reserve list?

I think I scored 5, 5, 4. If you're on the reserve list for the big recruitment campaigns I would be more hopeful though.
Original post by Cmitten
I think I scored 5, 5, 4. If you're on the reserve list for the big recruitment campaigns I would be more hopeful though.

I'm on the reserve list for a smaller campaign around 5 posts per location, I don't think I've got a chance with 5,5,6 to be honest ...
Reply 159
Hey, I got a provisional offer today!!! I'm in shock, lol.

Anyone else heard anything back yet? Also, does anyone know what the pre employment checks involve?

Latest

Trending

Trending