The Student Room Group

Anyone starting a Masters at Richmond Uni this September?

Hi all

I'm starting a part-time MA in Art History and Visual Culture this September, and on the hunt for anyone else starting a Masters at the same time, at Richmond... It'd be lovely to recognise some faces when I start!

Would love to hear from you if you are...

Cheers,
Deborah
Hi Deborah,

I'll be a full-time MA student on the Art History & Visual Culture course this September. This will be my first time moving abroad alone—I'm from the US—so I'm both very excited and nervous! Where are you from? What made you decide to do an MA in art history?

Best,
Sam
Ah it's so nice to hear from you Sam! I understand why you're worried but I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. I moved from a very small seaside town in Scotland to England when I was 17 - it was terrifying but I never regret it!

Whereabouts in the US are you from? I'm a big Americaphile, which is partly why I chose Richmond.

I chose the subject purely because I love art, and the visual culture element made it even more excitement. I spoke with someone else who did the course, and she said the visual culture means you can basically write about anything - film, photography, performance art etc. It's nothing to do with my career; I'm just doing it because I want to! What about you?
It's good to hear from you too! I've moved around the US quite a bit, born in Washington D.C, lived in Colorado, California, Arizona for quite a while, and now I'm in Oregon until I move to London. Do you plan on moving to London when the school year starts?

I'm an Anglophile, so I'm very excited to travel around the UK when I get there! I've been to London and Edinburgh once, but I'd like to explore the smaller towns and villages too. Have you ever gotten to travel to the US?

I chose the course because I really want to go into the museum/ heritage sector for my career and because I love art. I have a BA in English and studio art, so I'd like to learn more history and theory now that I've had the practical training. The visual culture aspect of it seems like it'll be really cool and interdisciplinary too. I like that you're doing the course because you want to, it's definitely a subject that you have to be passionate about. A lot of people have told me that its not the easiest career choice to go into, but I'd much rather be doing something I love.
Oh I live in London now 😊 I work for a charity, and will do the MA part-time around work. I've been to the US several times, luckily! My favourite place in the world is Tucson.

I'm so excited for you that you can pursue a career in it! I've heard it's difficult too but there's such a big range of roles you can do with those degrees that I reckon you'll be fine. Are you going to be living on-campus? It's really beautiful around there 😊
Tucson is really nice, I've been there a few times. I grew up in Phoenix and my university was in Flagstaff. :smile:

I will be living on-campus at Collingham Gardens. From the pictures I've found, it does look really pretty! It's a dream come true to be able to do my MA in London. What part of London do you live in? Since you're on the course part-time does that mean that you'll be taking the same modules as those doing full-time?

I'm really looking forward to the contemporary and world arts classes. Although, I'm not sure what to expect workload-wise because it seems like it'll be pretty intense doing an MA in just a year. If I could, I'd do part-time like you, but unfortunately because of visa regulations I can't.
Reply 6
Original post by samelizabeth23
Tucson is really nice, I've been there a few times. I grew up in Phoenix and my university was in Flagstaff. :smile:

I will be living on-campus at Collingham Gardens. From the pictures I've found, it does look really pretty! It's a dream come true to be able to do my MA in London. What part of London do you live in? Since you're on the course part-time does that mean that you'll be taking the same modules as those doing full-time?

I'm really looking forward to the contemporary and world arts classes. Although, I'm not sure what to expect workload-wise because it seems like it'll be pretty intense doing an MA in just a year. If I could, I'd do part-time like you, but unfortunately because of visa regulations I can't.

Hi
I wonder if you could tell me about your experience of staying at Collingham Gardens as I am also planning a semester at Richmond (next Jan). Do you have any interior photos to share by any chance. Also did you hear any feedback about the other accommodation options for Kensington (those belonging to the school)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending