The Student Room Group

Can I still get into Uni with a C in GCSE Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twhiddy
I'm looking into a English based degree, so I was hoping they wouldn't mind so much about Maths. Yet I have the feeling if it's a somewhat well respected Uni they might look for small flaws in my application, such as this C in GCSE Maths.

I don't think you have anything to worry about then :smile: some Russell Group universities might prefer it but I think A Level results are what they are focused on, if you're really worried about it check the entry requirements for Exeter and GCSE wise I'm sure they'll state it there
You'll be fine. I only got a C in maths and some very average GCSE grades and had an offer from LSE and an interview at Oxford. It's all about the A levels :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Tenisha1999
I don't think you have anything to worry about then :smile: some Russell Group universities might prefer it but I think A Level results are what they are focused on, if you're really worried about it check the entry requirements for Exeter and GCSE wise I'm sure they'll state it there

Thank you! It states that I need an A in GCSE English Language or Literature so I think I'm covered, thank you again! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Redmonds
You'll be fine. I only got a C in maths and some very average GCSE grades and had an offer from LSE and an interview at Oxford. It's all about the A levels :smile:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you get at A Level? My predicted grades are very average and I hope to do very well at A Level to make up for it :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you get at A Level? My predicted grades are very average and I hope to do very well at A Level to make up for it :smile:

Not at all, I got AAAA at AS which helped a lot, they don't at all reflect my GCSE grades. Which Universities and courses do you have in mind?
Reply 25
Not at all, I got AAAA at AS which helped a lot, they don't at all reflect my GCSE grades. Which Universities and courses do you have in mind?

Wow! Those results are amazing, I congratulate you! I'm not entirely sure on a course, but I'm definitely looking towards an Arts degree. I want to go to Exeter University very badly, but I'm open to other options of a Uni :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
Wow! Those results are amazing, I congratulate you! I'm not entirely sure on a course, but I'm definitely looking towards an Arts degree. I want to go to Exeter University very badly, but I'm open to other options of a Uni :smile:

Thanks! An arts degree would mean that there is less of an emphasis on mathematics in the course (apart from methodology), so as opposed to a Science, they wouldn't see the maths qualification as a hugely significant factor. Of course there are standard entry requirements for top Universities, a C in maths being one of them. Exeter is a good choice, perhaps even Oxbridge at those grades.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking but what were your GCSE grades like and how many did you get? It's just LSE is like my dream uni and my GCSEs are pretty disappointing in comparison with the grades I'm achieving now in year 12, I'm predicted 3 A* (equivalents) for the end of two years and have achieved A's, so I'm going to try and prove myself with those grades
Original post by Tenisha1999
Hey, if you don't mind me asking but what were your GCSE grades like and how many did you get? It's just LSE is like my dream uni and my GCSEs are pretty disappointing in comparison with the grades I'm achieving now in year 12, I'm predicted 3 A* (equivalents) for the end of two years and have achieved A's, so I'm going to try and prove myself with those grades

Looks like your A levels will be fine! At GCSE I only got AAABBBCCC (one of those Bs was an ICT DiDa). With LSE, the key part of the application is the personal statement. You'll be competing with hundreds of people for your chosen course alone. If you have proven yourself with a solid AS set, they will hardly look at your GCSEs. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest