The Student Room Group

How do you revise for chemistry?

So I've written out notes but for organic chemistry- I know it but I'm terrible at applying it .

I get 20/75 in tests but when I go back over the spec I know it it's just the questions that throw me off ... so I'd do a past paper , get a bad grade , revise .... do a past paper , get a bad grade etc

please help I've got like 2 weeks until the exam abd I feel I'm gonna fail cos I don't have enough time .
Original post by anaighj
So I've written out notes but for organic chemistry- I know it but I'm terrible at applying it .

I get 20/75 in tests but when I go back over the spec I know it it's just the questions that throw me off ... so I'd do a past paper , get a bad grade , revise .... do a past paper , get a bad grade etc

please help I've got like 2 weeks until the exam abd I feel I'm gonna fail cos I don't have enough time .

Hi! I moved this to the Chemistry forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile:
maybe looking at a walk through paper video will help you so you know how to apply your knowledge? I know a few friends who have this problem and find that it really helps :bl: or try look at the mark scheme and what it awards marks
Reply 3
Do more problems.
Original post by anaighj

You don't understand the content
Reply 5
Original post by anaighj

Notes should only take a small portion of revision time for chemistry imo. Read through textbook material again, answer end of chapter/page questions then do a lot of papers. Maybe try revising from other textbooks/revision guides as well and look at other people's notes online.
Reply 6
Original post by AAls
Notes should only take a small portion of revision time for chemistry imo. Read through textbook material again, answer end of chapter/page questions then do a lot of papers. Maybe try revising from other textbooks/revision guides as well and look at other people's notes online.

Have you been doing this for every topic or just the difficult topics and what chem books are you aware of?
Reply 7
Do the same chemistry past paper with a friend, whenever you get stuck, ask for help. Compare your answers.
Reply 8
Original post by Logic938
Have you been doing this for every topic or just the difficult topics and what chem books are you aware of?

Yep. You can make questions from any topic that may seem easy hard so I'd advise to practise everything. I pretty much just use the official OCR textbook for the new spec which is quite good. However I realise that some may prefer CGP revision guides since they're so concise.

Quick Reply

Latest