The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Littleone2000
My only exams in the first week are French and IT, and French is the exam I'm least worried about so I've all but finished the revision for that now- I've just saved a few past papers. IT I have saved plenty of revision material for the day or so before but right now I am prioritising biology and English literature, as I have a jam packed second week with 3 exams in one day so revision will be difficult! So to answer your question, I've saved last minute past papers for my first exams and I'm now looking ahead to the second week. Then at the weekend I will switch to my final revision for my first exams and let the exams run their course doing the same sort of emergency key topic revision.

Oh ok :smile: That's a shame :smile: Next week i've got 3 exams which i think i'm confident with :smile: The 2nd week i've got an exam every single day GREAT!!!
How many exams do you have altogether ? Is it good to do revision for the exams after half term during half term ? Or would you classify that as cramming ?
I completely understand where you're coming from, and I always put my emotions before my grades due to a history of mental illness so I've tried lots of different things to minimise stress whilst still revising enough to get the top grades. I find that for me planning is important, not so much sticking to a timetable but more listing what I want to get done and ticking it off so that there is an end in sight to revision of that helps? I also find it helpful to take a step back sometimes and just keep a healthy outlook- even if that means just looking at how little revision others have done, or how well you've done in the past so why is there any reason you wouldn't get that grade this time? I also never let grades interfere with sleeping patterns, early nights and always having breakfast are just habitual and breaking the cycle would just make me even more stressed. And last but not least- take the night off! Put yourself first, because although great grades are nice, they probably aren't essential. No college or university- ever, will expect straight A*s. I've got a friend who recently became overcome with stress and has only just returned to school after two weeks- and as we all know it is now a week before exams. But no one really cares because what matters is that she's okay! I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for this it's really kind of you to say this :smile:
It's just strange because I'm usually the least emotional person you'll ever meet but everything's just changed because of these stupid exams :frown: I'll definitely taker the rest of the night off and just chill so that I can hopefully get back into it tomorrow. Thank you :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
I don't know what happened to me today at all, it might be stress? I'm not sure. But I couldn't focus in RE at all today and I spent most of the lesson with my head in my hands crying slightly and then for about an hour afterwards I was really shaky and ughhh I'm so not ready for exams and I have 7 days to go help me :frown:
Also the school printer is BROKEN so I couldn't print off any notes id made or past papers I need to do so now I'm even more stressed :angry:
I'm such a mess it awful, it's like I'm on weekly cycles of positive vibes and panicky low self esteem moods. This week it's the 2nd one :frown:. I don't know what to do as exams are so close but I need to sort myself out!!

Aw bless you :frown: Try to get an early night and be positive - yeh i know it's not that easy but make sure your confident :smile: If the printer is broken go to the library or somewhere where there is a printer :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin: Trust me your really smart and you can do it :smile:
Just stay positive :smile:
Thank you so much for this it's really kind of you to say this :smile:
It's just strange because I'm usually the least emotional person you'll ever meet but everything's just changed because of these stupid exams :frown: I'll definitely taker the rest of the night off and just chill so that I can hopefully get back into it tomorrow. Thank you :smile:

No problem :smile: just remember that everyone is feeling the pressure at the moment and you just have to control it, keep the pressure at a level so that it motivates you to succeed without compromising your wellbeing, just put yourself first and it will all turn out fine I'm sure :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Aw bless you :frown: Try to get an early night and be positive - yeh i know it's not that easy but make sure your confident :smile: If the printer is broken go to the library or somewhere where there is a printer :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin: Trust me your really smart and you can do it :smile:
Just stay positive :smile:

Thank you, I'm definitely just gonna chill tonight and hope that tomorrow goes well and I get stuff done! And yeah I'll find somewhere else with a printer :wink:. Thank you and I'll try to be positive about the whole thing :smile:
Oh ok :smile: That's a shame :smile: Next week i've got 3 exams which i think i'm confident with :smile: The 2nd week i've got an exam every single day GREAT!!!
How many exams do you have altogether ? Is it good to do revision for the exams after half term during half term ? Or would you classify that as cramming ?

19 (I completed 2 GCSEs last year), and yes I'm now leaving the exams after half term for half term. You've done much more revision than me so I'm sure you would benefit from doing that too as you'll only distract yourself from the closer exams :smile: As for cramming, you've already got a secure basis for revision for all your exams judging by the revision you post so I don't think you're in danger of cramming anyway, just move to lighter revision to keep the stress to a minimum but keep focuses on your next exam and so on
No problem :smile: just remember that everyone is feeling the pressure at the moment and you just have to control it, keep the pressure at a level so that it motivates you to succeed without compromising your wellbeing, just put yourself first and it will all turn out fine I'm sure :smile:

I know, I never thought that I'd react to stress this badly I just assumed id be able to handle it :s-smilie:
Yeah I'll definitely try to stay calm so I'm motivated to do well :smile:
Thank you for the encouragement, it really means a lot :smile:
Thank you, I'm definitely just gonna chill tonight and hope that tomorrow goes well and I get stuff done! And yeah I'll find somewhere else with a printer :wink:. Thank you and I'll try to be positive about the whole thing :smile:

No worries and i hope you well for tomorrow :smile: Being positive is key and i know this youtuber who stayed positive and worked hard - she got 10A* and 1 A :biggrin:
19 (I completed 2 GCSEs last year), and yes I'm now leaving the exams after half term for half term. You've done much more revision than me so I'm sure you would benefit from doing that too as you'll only distract yourself from the closer exams :smile: As for cramming, you've already got a secure basis for revision for all your exams judging by the revision you post so I don't think you're in danger of cramming anyway, just move to lighter revision to keep the stress to a minimum but keep focuses on your next exam and so on

I've got 23 :smile: Haha thanks :smile: Do you think 13 exams will be good to revise during half term ? :wink:
I've got 23 :smile: Haha thanks :smile: Do you think 13 exams will be good to revise during half term ? :wink:

Yes I'm sure that will be okay, but if you have any exams you will particularly struggle with you could revise them now?
Yes I'm sure that will be okay, but if you have any exams you will particularly struggle with you could revise them now?

Yeh i could :smile: thank you for your support :wink:
I know, I never thought that I'd react to stress this badly I just assumed id be able to handle it :s-smilie:
Yeah I'll definitely try to stay calm so I'm motivated to do well :smile:
Thank you for the encouragement, it really means a lot :smile:

No problem :smile: it's a really tough time for everyone and I just want to shout it from the rooftops at the moment that these exams aren't the be all and end all, just try and it'll be okay! Can't give better than your best aye?
Reply 2532
Hey guys :smile:
How are you guys revising ? Are you revising everything or are you only revising for the exams that are next week or so ?

Right now I'm focusing on exams in the first 2 weeks but I feel more confident with the exams in the first week (I've got four) so I'm trying to focus more on the second week of exams - got one everyday! :frown: I've got 24 exams in total. My first exam is OCR RE on Monday which I'm trying to get well at as I hate RE :frown: any tips?
UPDATE 09/05/16:
One day closer... AH!!

1. B1 past paper
2. B1 questions
3. C1 - Metals 20 Q&A
'' '' - Crude oil 19 Q&A
'' '' - Fuels 13 Q&A
4. P1 questions
5. French vocab
Original post by srmed
Right now I'm focusing on exams in the first 2 weeks but I feel more confident with the exams in the first week (I've got four) so I'm trying to focus more on the second week of exams - got one everyday! :frown: I've got 24 exams in total. My first exam is OCR RE on Monday which I'm trying to get well at as I hate RE :frown: any tips?

Same here :smile: I don't do RE sorry :s-smilie: How are you revising for the exams after half term ?
UPDATE FOR 09/05/16

I wonder how much longer this nice weather will last :smile:

15 Japan Tsunami cards

30 ICT cards

C6 revision

150 German cards

15 B1 cards

34 B3 cards

54 Cards on C1

30 Geog cards

UPDATE 09/05/16:
One day closer... AH!!

1. B1 past paper
2. B1 questions
3. C1 - Metals 20 Q&A
'' '' - Crude oil 19 Q&A
'' '' - Fuels 13 Q&A
4. P1 questions
5. French vocab

Wow well done - you're doing great so keep it up :smile:

I don't know what happened to me today at all, it might be stress? I'm not sure. But I couldn't focus in RE at all today and I spent most of the lesson with my head in my hands crying slightly and then for about an hour afterwards I was really shaky and ughhh I'm so not ready for exams and I have 7 days to go help me :frown:
Also the school printer is BROKEN so I couldn't print off any notes id made or past papers I need to do so now I'm even more stressed :angry:
I'm such a mess it awful, it's like I'm on weekly cycles of positive vibes and panicky low self esteem moods. This week it's the 2nd one :frown:. I don't know what to do as exams are so close but I need to sort myself out!!

Aw I'm really sorry to hear that - have you spoken to teachers or parents about this? If you ever want to chat you can always message me and I'll be happy to listen :smile:
Reply 2537
Same here :smile: I don't do RE sorry :s-smilie: How are you revising for the exams after half term ?

It's alright :smile: and well for pretty much all the exams after I have done revision for them due to mocks we did in the last couple of weeks. I will be revising over it and doing LOADS of past papers for the exams after half term. In the first week I have 5 exams, none on the monday but there's english language the first day back which I'm dreading the most, so nervous for it :frown: what exam board do you do for English? I do AQA. And it's really good that my last exam has a 10 day gap between the second to last one if that makes sense haha
Hey guys :smile:
How are you guys revising ? Are you revising everything or are you only revising for the exams that are next week or so ?

I'm mainly revising for the exams I have before half term. My first exams are RE and Use of Maths which I'm dreading as well as ICT on the 18 May:frown:.The exams in June are much easier but I do revise history and science now and then.
Original post by brainzistheword
Wow well done - you're doing great so keep it up :smile:

Aw I'm really sorry to hear that - have you spoken to teachers or parents about this? If you ever want to chat you can always message me and I'll be happy to listen :smile:

Thank you and no I haven't spoken to anyone about it, but it's not a big deal (not enough to get them involved) as I can usually deal with it by myself. Don't worry I'll message you if I ever need someone to talk to, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending