The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amrita_98
If i continue to do a2 chemistry, will my as grade count towards my overall grade?

no
Original post by drizzyyeezy
me too :smile:

me three ocr please
Original post by drizzyyeezy
me too :smile:

Me too please! I need to know the answer for one of the calculations 😂😂
Original post by Christie_xx
Ahh thank you so much, this is along the lines of what my teacher said too. You've put so many helpful resources on this thread, thank you!!

Np:smile: and good luck with your exams!
Original post by SirRaza97
Wait... I am resitting CHEM1. Do I have to learn the new spec????

No! it will be the same spec as last year
I genuinly envy anyone in the year above, i would do anything to sit last years exams or any exams of the previous spec, the new spec exams are dreadful, went from getting 95+% in pretty much every chem test and past papers to about 63% in the specimen, dreadful.
Original post by Science_help
I genuinly envy anyone in the year above, i would do anything to sit last years exams or any exams of the previous spec, the new spec exams are dreadful, went from getting 95+% in pretty much every chem test and past papers to about 63% in the specimen, dreadful.

I'm the same with the old specification, I'm not sure if I've actually done the specimen papers though, so i should definitely check them out...
Original post by Gogregg
I'm the same with the old specification, I'm not sure if I've actually done the specimen papers though, so i should definitely check them out...

you should definetly give it a go, good luck, let me know how it was :smile:
Reply 108
Can anyone split all the topics for paper 1 and paper 2 for me please.
Paper 1 only:
- Atomic structure
- Oxidation, reduction and redox equations
- Periodicity
- Group 2, the alkaline earth metals
- Group 7, the halogens

Paper 2 only:
- Introduction to organic chemistry
- Kinetics
- Alkanes
- Halogenalkanes
- Alkenes
- Alcohols
- Organic analysis

Paper 1 & 2:
- Amount of substance
- Bonding
- Energetics
- Chemical equilibria, Le Chatelier's principle and Kc
Reply 110
I struggle with applying my knowledge to a question. Is there a technique to approach these sort of questions. I can't think of an example question. Obviously the first thing to do is THINK of what you already know in terms of the context of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! Just wondering, why is the melting point for silicon higher than aluminium but the reverse is true for boiling points? Thanks!

i feel you , these specimen papers are ridiculously tough, real struggle to go through them man, what are you doing to improve your grade , any suggestions, coz im on the same wave as you atm.
Original post by rosemondtan
Hey guys! Just wondering, why is the melting point for silicon higher than aluminium but the reverse is true for boiling points? Thanks!

its because of the metallic bonding at the liquid state.
Original post by OneandOnly123
i feel you , these specimen papers are ridiculously tough, real struggle to go through them man, what are you doing to improve your grade , any suggestions, coz im on the same wave as you atm.

I was originally doing past papers, but they are giving me a false ray of hope tbh.
Now im getting my content fully learnt, and im going to practice practical skills as i feel that could easily be the 6 marker.

How about you, waht are you doing to improve ??
I was originally doing past papers, but they are giving me a false ray of hope tbh.
Now im getting my content fully learnt, and im going to practice practical skills as i feel that could easily be the 6 marker.

How about you, waht are you doing to improve ??

lool i have bottled it man, i was getting 90+ ums on the old spec papers till i did that bloody specimen and got 50, tbh i think the best thing to do is revise the practical methods and learn them in good detail, also learn of by heart anything in the book that has a lot of writing for as i feel they will be the 6 mark questions.
AS Chemistry Set 1 and Set 2 papers, model answers and markschemes

http://www.scienceskool.co.uk/new-spec.html
Gosh, the specimen paper is difficult.

We need to remember that it isn't really an accurate representation of what the papers will be like, they will be easier and less... purposefully confusing , they never are.
Hey everyone. I am doing AQA a levels (not the new specification), I'm confused on something. How do I what units to use when working out with the equations Pv=nRT and Moles=concXvol.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Hey everyone. I am doing AQA a levels (not the new specification), I'm confused on something. How do I what units to use when working out with the equations Pv=nRT and Moles=concXvol.

P = Pa (if the value was given in kPa, you would multiply by 1000) e.g. 100kPa = 100,000 Pa

V = m cubed (if the value was given in cm cubed, you would divide by 1million) e.g. 230,000cm cubed = 0.23m cubed

T = Kelvin (K) (if the value was given in degrees C, you would add 273) e.g. 25 degrees C = 298K

n (moles) doesn't really have unit, and R is always given.

So you would then substitute the figures above into PV = nRT, depending on what you're working out.

For n = c x v

c = mol per dm cubed
v = dm cubed (cm cubed divided by 1000)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending