The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Haddock
It's not a very useful analogy. Smoking causes cancer through chemical-biological mechanisms that are observable and well understood. Inhaling tobacco smoke damages the cells in your lungs, altering their DNA and causing them to become cancerous. We can observe, empirically, how smoking leads to cancer. You cannot describe the link between Islam and terrorism in the same way. It is a social, political and economic issue, not a physical phenomena. Your analogy tells us nothing of the causes of terrorism; it only tells us that some terrorists are Muslims. The actual causes are far more complex and nuanced than simple religious fundamentalism.

It's a very useful analogy. Islam causes terrorism through vocal hate preaching and incitement with justification from a reverred religious book that is observable and well understood. Inhaling Islamic teachings instills violence in amenable minds, altering their thoughts and behaviour and causing them to become hostile and violent. We can observe, empirically, how islamic hate preaching leads to terrorism.

Slightly tongue in cheek but that is a lot of words to basically say Islamic terrorism cannot be proven with science. I would have to disagree that its not a very useful anology... its an excellent analogy to simple minded people who claim that just because something doesn't corrupt at a 100% success rate, means that X is not corruptive or the cause
Original post by lNurl
Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil, or anything that America/West can exploit.

That's exactly why the US hasn't imposed strict sanctions on North Korea for the past 20 years.....oh wait. :rolleyes:
Original post by Erebor
I was wondering about this last night, how come islam gets so much bad rap while the other big religions are barely ever mentioned? I mean if you watch or read the news day in day out you almost never see them mentioned, never mind hear about millions hating or disliking them ?! And there are plenty of buddhists, hindus or sikhs in the UK but somehow there seems to be ZERO issues with them...

Hitchens had a theory about it :

Here's the simple reason only Islam causes problems in the uk out of the religions you listed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Original post by Sabertooth
That's exactly why the US hasn't imposed strict sanctions on North Korea for the past 20 years.....oh wait. :rolleyes:

I just went and read those sanction, I don't think NK really cares about them.
They are still testing their weapons and nuclear programs.

On the other hand, why Iran was desperate to negotiate sanctions.

Yes, I mention oil, and I see everybody is picking on it (as usual), but also I mention, that Financial advantage, and power are also key factors, nevertheless, countries with fuel/resources/energy of some sort are more vulnerable to outside " political attacks", because example: oil brings money, money is key for power, and developed countries don't really like rivals and how power shifts from them to other countries.

I'm repeating myself, but they don't really care about human rights, freedom and other humanitarian things. Islam is blackmailing tool.

Declaration: it's all personal opinion, I can be wrong :smile:
Original post by Butternuts96
It's not a blanket accusation. In this thread, I called him one and if you look at his first post, you can see why.

NB: If you're an islamophobe yourself, you may not see any offence in it

but you haven't explained what it means...

We can't judge who Good Bloke actually is if you can't give a working definition of the word.
[QUOTE=chemting;64695333]but you haven't explained what it means...

We can't judge who Good Bloke actually is if you can't give a working definition of the word.

Why are you guys so hellbent on a definitionv take the word literally as it is. Don't divert the attention away from the hate spewing from your mouths with facetious arguments.
Why are you guys so hellbent on a definitionv take the word literally as it is. Don't divert the attention away from the hate spewing from your mouths with facetious arguments.

Because you're diverting and stifling any discussion (and criticism) of the religion by using a term you cannot even define...

Posted from TSR Mobile
because of the current climate
discrimination against these religious people do still exist, but its not as present because of the amount of emphasis put on Islam right now
in terms of "sikhophobia", at least in america, there are multiple cases of Sikhs who wear turbans falling victims of hate crime because people see them as "being from a Muslim country" (ridiculous i know)
in terms of the other two religions its more appropriation that can be seen as "issues" which are non violent, but still affect the religious people in question (such as people getting henna designs on their hand by using cool-aid (removing any cultural significance) and reducing the multiple incarnations of God to jokes in tv shows or something 'cool' and 'full of their aesthetic' to turn into a fashion item instead of treating with respect)
and in terms of Buddhism, this ones harder to see and take note of but probably one of the most obvious one is "progressive" idiots getting swastika tattoos and products in an attempt to "reclaim this progressive symbol!" which they have no right to do and also is a shitty thing to do especially since whenever a Jewish person may say they are uncomfortable about it the response is "UHM. IT MEANS PEACE"

i guess what im trying to say is that there is discrimination present against these religious groups, its just not as clear cut "go back to your OWN country even though you were born here" mentality that so many fools love to target towards Muslims
Original post by SaraBZ
at age 6 and then married her at age of 9 when she got her period therefore she began puberty.

Are you saying that the age of consent should be lowered to the age at which a girl starts puberty? Is this also the case for boys?

You need to bear in mind that people in the previous centuries were a billion times mature than people in the 21st century.

I'm not too sure how you arrived at this conclusion? Where is your proof that children were more mature in the past? What do you even mean by mature?

Also marriages to young girls was acceptable and normal and was not shown as a bad thing in the previous centuries.

Slavery was also once acceptable and normal. I guess that means the Atlantic slave trade was all fine and dandy as it was acceptable then?

Just because something was acceptable in the past does not mean that it is moral or that we cannot criticise it based on our morals today. So do you believe an adult man should be able to marry a 9 year old girl now?
[QUOTE=chemting;64695423]Because you're diverting and stifling any discussion (and criticism) of the religion by using a term you cannot even define...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lame argument from someone butting in a conversation that doesn't concern them.
[QUOTE=Betelgeuse-;64693833]It's a very useful analogy. Islam causes terrorism through vocal hate preaching and incitement with justification from a reverred religious book that is observable and well understood. Inhaling Islamic teachings instills violence in amenable minds, altering their thoughts and behaviour and causing them to become hostile and violent. We can observe, empirically, how islamic hate preaching leads to terrorism.

Slightly tongue in cheek but that is a lot of words to basically say Islamic terrorism cannot be proven with science. I would have to disagree that its not a very useful anology... its an excellent analogy to simple minded people who claim that just because something doesn't corrupt at a 100% success rate, means that X is not corruptive or the cause

I don't understand where you islamophobes get "hate preaching" from? I've lived in the top two most dense Muslim populations throughout my life and I've been in mosques around the world and I have never seen mainstream or underground hate preaching/terrorism by preachers in person.
I don't understand where you islamophobes get "hate preaching" from? I've lived in the top two most dense Muslim populations throughout my life and I've been in mosques around the world and I have never seen mainstream or underground hate preaching/terrorism by preachers in person.

Maybe you don't regard it as "hate"?
Original post by The Epicurean
Are you saying that the age of consent should be lowered to the age at which a girl starts puberty? Is this also the case for boys?

I'm not too sure how you arrived at this conclusion? Where is your proof that children were more mature in the past? What do you even mean by mature?

Slavery was also once acceptable and normal. I guess that means the Atlantic slave trade was all fine and dandy as it was acceptable then?

Just because something was acceptable in the past does not mean that it is moral or that we cannot criticise it based on our morals today. So do you believe an adult man should be able to marry a 9 year old girl now?

That you have the patience to bother replying to that nonsense post...impressive.
Lame argument from someone butting in a conversation that doesn't concern them.

It does concern me, as you used the same tactics against me before :colonhash:
Original post by Supersaps
wtf, care to substantiate any of that with actual evidence? The West declaring war on an Islamic country because you won't eat a pig?

The aforementioned will fly before any of that BS is true.

Hahahahahah "because you won't eat a pig"

Posted from TSR Mobile
First you gotta agree that it's hateful speech? It's hateful from the top to bottom as you are spreading lies about a religion.

Second, I don't study a mickey mouse degree like sociology to give you a textbook definition of islamophobe.

Now answer my question; what is your obsession with Islam and why do you feel it's a productive use of your time to try and bring down Islam?

I studied a technical subject and yet the small choice module taught by a sociology professor was probably the most stimulating discussion I have had a uni.

The fact that you would dismiss something as "mickey mouse" (a generic, unoriginal term by the way) and yet proceed to have an argument in the very field you just dismissed, shows just how ignorant you are.
[QUOTE=brainhuman;64696075]Makybe you don't regard it as "hate"?

Regard WHAT as hate? Every single sermon I've been to had lacked any kind of political/controversial opinion.

Every sermon is hugely directed at getting the muslims to pray, fast, be kind, seek knowledge etc I genuinely haven't ever heard anything suspect. Go into any mosque that delivers their sermons in English and see for yourself, dude.
Original post by Quantex

Sikhs themselves are also victims of Islamphobia as some Brits, while passionate about their dislike of Islam, have come to the erroneous conclusion that wearing a turban makes you a Muslim. For example: spraying "Die Muslims Die" on a Sikh temple. http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/yobs-spray-die-muslims-die-9985403

@Josb

This is what I am talking about. Islamophobia can be directed at non Muslims.

Who would have thought irrational hatred goes hand in hand with stupidity :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=chemting;64696097]It does concern me, as you used the same tactics against me before :colonhash:

Kinda goes to show that the TSR resident islamophobes all employ the same devices;all sourced from hugely biased propaganda.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=brainhuman;64696201]I studied a technical subject and yet the small choice module taught by a sociology professor was probably the most stimulating discussion I have had a uni.

The fact that you would dismiss something as "mickey mouse" (a generic, unoriginal term by the way) and yet proceed to have an argument in the very field you just dismissed, shows just how ignorant you are.

Good for you that you had a "stimulating discussion". Also, why is the term mickey mouse so offensive to you but the way people speak about Islam is fine? And what's "generic and original" have to do with using the word? Did I say I invented the word?

And no, you don't need to be a sociologist to dismiss myths about Islam, especially when you're a muslim yourself. In a similar way, you don't have to have a BA in English to write a story.

Fyi: I have huge modules in psychology and sociology in my degree as well every single year of my degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending