The Student Room Group

Need some advice please.

I'm not sure where I should post this thread , but since in this forum I can make it anonymous... here it goes.
Hi, guys I'm in my second year of sixth form. I got average GCSE grades 10 A*-C, I know I could have done better. In my first year of sixth form (last year), I had a really rough time, family issues (health) and I felt really depressed, anxious etc (the sort of feeling I also felt throughout high school too, yr10 was my worst year as I contemplated suicide and ended up self-harming; although, I did manage to hide it from everyone, so I don't think anyone suspected. I didn't talk to anyone about it because I was worried and I don't like talking about my feelings but mainly because I didn't want to cause concern for my parents, as I know school/ college would contact my parents. So, in my first year of college, I kept going regardless. I tried to revise and concentrate in my classes (I did psychology, applied science and biology) but it seemed impossible at times. When I did get home I would try get my books out (when I wasn't helping out at home) but I felt so overwhelmed with everything going on, I couldn't control my feelings (I know I shouldn't have felt like this, specially since so many people out there are going through so much worse!). So most of the time I just got sinked in into watching movies, playing games etc, to take my mind of reality (I know how stupid was I?). So when I logged in to see my AS grades, I was expecting the worst ... So I ended up getting CCE. I got the E in biology and was allowed to carry on with it onto A2, but I didn't want to because I didn't know enough, so I had to beg to re-take it. So, this year was suppose to be a sort of re-start to my life.I carried out with psychology to A2, dropped applied science and picked up AS chemistry and AS biology. Things were going good at the start of the year, I felt great. I was revising, doing extra work etc. However, as time went on, things started to get out of control again. My mum started to get ill again and college started to get stressful and hard - specially chemistry! And everything just started to take a turn. I did well in my psychology and biology mock, got an A in both but got a E in my chemistry January mocks. I was determined to make things work, so I revised hard during the Easter half-term, revising chemistry and biology. However, we then got our second mocks after Easter, in which I did terribly! I got an E in my psychology, U in chemistry and C in biology. Which is awful! I did run out of time for my chemistry and was feeling sick and dizzy that day, but it still isn't a good excuse. I really don't know what to do any more. I feel like I have wasted another year, only to then get rubbish grades again! I'm so close to losing all motivation in life. I'm such a disappointment and failure to my family. I really wanted to go to university before, but with these grades, very unlikely I would get in! Besides, even if I did have good grades, there is no way my family could afford it even though they say they would try. We barely have any money left over, so if i was to go to university, I don't see how they would be able to pay for it (even if i was to work part-time or something). I literally feel so crap. My first exam is in under 2 weeks and I have no motivation. Don't get me wrong, I really want to revise and want to do well, but I am just not in the right mindset to do work and I JUST FEEL like crying. I have let myself down again, as well as my family. I'm considering getting an apprenticeship (that way I would get paid, be able to help my family out and get experience and a possible qualification out of it), although I'm not certain if it's too late for that, since i have just turned 18 and my grades are awful. Also, I wouldn't know what to do one in, since there isn't a great variety of options, specially where I live. I would love to go out and explore the world, do activities and get an experience of the world, but money is the major issue and family comes first. I know i deserve no sympathy and have bought this all on myself, so please don't judge me. I really want some advice on what to do, because I feel like I can't cope any more. I would love to get some advice please. And sorry for such a long rant.
Okay then. You need to talk to your parents. I mean need to talk to them and tell them how you are feeling, have a good cry and conversation with them about everything. Then go to bed and sleep, wake up and see how you feel then. See if you feel your head had cleared and you are able to take in all the knowledge you need to get the marks in your exams.

Why was year 10 so bad? PM me, if you want to talk to someone in private. But it seems you me you are worrying about your parents, it is going round and round in your head, so you can study because of it. So do as I said. Then you can actually think about what you want to do with a clear head. :h:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure where I should post this thread , but since in this forum I can make it anonymous... here it goes.
Hi, guys I'm in my second year of sixth form. I got average GCSE grades 10 A*-C, I know I could have done better. In my first year of sixth form (last year), I had a really rough time, family issues (health) and I felt really depressed, anxious etc (the sort of feeling I also felt throughout high school too, yr10 was my worst year as I contemplated suicide and ended up self-harming; although, I did manage to hide it from everyone, so I don't think anyone suspected. I didn't talk to anyone about it because I was worried and I don't like talking about my feelings but mainly because I didn't want to cause concern for my parents, as I know school/ college would contact my parents. So, in my first year of college, I kept going regardless. I tried to revise and concentrate in my classes (I did psychology, applied science and biology) but it seemed impossible at times. When I did get home I would try get my books out (when I wasn't helping out at home) but I felt so overwhelmed with everything going on, I couldn't control my feelings (I know I shouldn't have felt like this, specially since so many people out there are going through so much worse!). So most of the time I just got sinked in into watching movies, playing games etc, to take my mind of reality (I know how stupid was I?). So when I logged in to see my AS grades, I was expecting the worst ... So I ended up getting CCE. I got the E in biology and was allowed to carry on with it onto A2, but I didn't want to because I didn't know enough, so I had to beg to re-take it. So, this year was suppose to be a sort of re-start to my life.I carried out with psychology to A2, dropped applied science and picked up AS chemistry and AS biology. Things were going good at the start of the year, I felt great. I was revising, doing extra work etc. However, as time went on, things started to get out of control again. My mum started to get ill again and college started to get stressful and hard - specially chemistry! And everything just started to take a turn. I did well in my psychology and biology mock, got an A in both but got a E in my chemistry January mocks. I was determined to make things work, so I revised hard during the Easter half-term, revising chemistry and biology. However, we then got our second mocks after Easter, in which I did terribly! I got an E in my psychology, U in chemistry and C in biology. Which is awful! I did run out of time for my chemistry and was feeling sick and dizzy that day, but it still isn't a good excuse. I really don't know what to do any more. I feel like I have wasted another year, only to then get rubbish grades again! I'm so close to losing all motivation in life. I'm such a disappointment and failure to my family. I really wanted to go to university before, but with these grades, very unlikely I would get in! Besides, even if I did have good grades, there is no way my family could afford it even though they say they would try. We barely have any money left over, so if i was to go to university, I don't see how they would be able to pay for it (even if i was to work part-time or something). I literally feel so crap. My first exam is in under 2 weeks and I have no motivation. Don't get me wrong, I really want to revise and want to do well, but I am just not in the right mindset to do work and I JUST FEEL like crying. I have let myself down again, as well as my family. I'm considering getting an apprenticeship (that way I would get paid, be able to help my family out and get experience and a possible qualification out of it), although I'm not certain if it's too late for that, since i have just turned 18 and my grades are awful. Also, I wouldn't know what to do one in, since there isn't a great variety of options, specially where I live. I would love to go out and explore the world, do activities and get an experience of the world, but money is the major issue and family comes first. I know i deserve no sympathy and have bought this all on myself, so please don't judge me. I really want some advice on what to do, because I feel like I can't cope any more. I would love to get some advice please. And sorry for such a long rant.

I read all of it. It wasn't that long. :smile:
Reply 3
You're talking as though you've already done badly in your exams when you haven't, there is still time to turn it around. I know you're feeling down and unmotivated and it sounds like you need to talk to someone maybe at your school about the pressure you're feeling with school work and financial issues at home, etc.

Two weeks isn't a very long time but if you try to sit yourself down and power through some crazy revision for just two short weeks of your life it can and will make all the difference. It feels difficult and impossible I know, but you can definitely do it and in the end regardless of your results you can say "I did my best". You will only ever regret not trying, you won't regret going for it and trying your best because that's all you can do.

In regards to university, do your family earn over 30k per year in wages? It sounds like there is some financial trouble which would indicate less than 30k per year in wages which means you would be able to apply for a student loan. It's worth talking to a career advisor at your school (or even just a counsellor of some sort) to discuss your options for your a levels, uni or an apprenticeship.

Good luck!
Paragraphs
Original post by Anonymous

Well firstly, you have not bought this on yourself! And yes, there are worse off people than you... But that doesn't mean your problems are insignificant to everyone else. It's good to acknowledge other people are worse off and realise what you have... But, that doesn't make your problems go away... :smile:

I'm sorry you're going through this... And I think what it is is... You got CCE. So what? What's wrong with those grades? In 2 weeks time you have exams... So revise what you can and do the exam...

You haven't wasted anything... Instead of focusing on what has happened, focus on moving forward and what is about to happen. Atm, you have exams coming up. Revise for them. Yes, you should have started earlier. But so what? Who actually starts in September and makes concise notes? We're only human.

You say money is a big issue for you and your family... There are loans and stuff at university, would these help maybe? Maybe after exams try and get a job?

Just ask yourself, what is it you want? If you want to go to university, then you can... Even if you don't get the grades, there are foundation courses... If money is an issue there are grants and loans available...

I think sometimes it's difficult to see what options you have because we only view things from one perspective...

You can private message me if you want, hope this helps and you can reply back to this... :smile:
Hey try no to worry because that wont help you. In addition to what people have said above, then if I were in your position.

1. I wouldnt give up.
2. Youve obviously been through a lot and you havent dealt with your mental issues. Imo you should go to the GP and see what they have to say with a possible diagnosis. You really need to get on top of this asap. If you get a Drs note about your fitness to sit exams, then contact your tutor. You might be able to put in extenuating circumstances.
3. You obviously scored well before, just not in the recent mocks. You should do some past papers( you should be working on them anyway) and get your teachers to mark them. the idea is if you score well, then you that should encourage you. that last mocks may just have been bad exams.
4. Talk with your teacher. I would think you just need to focus on doing your best for these exams and remind yourself you did well in january. work as hard as you reasonably can. Worry anout everything else after.
5. If the grades dont match, then just resit them. You cna always explain you had extenuating circs for the previous time.
6. Do not give up on going to Uni if thats what you wnat. If your family income is low then you will geta more generous grant plus you can get a p/t job and work in the summer.
7. If you had to do resits, then you could always work for the rest of the year to save money and just go to Uni in 2017 or later. The thing is theres no need to give up on the idea of going.

Try and get some sleep, then organise yourself to put some decent revision in. Dont forget you have the days between the exams as well. Youve gotten A in both psychology and biology, so I might focus on them. I cant tell where you are at, only you know that. id rather do well in 2 and resit 1 than mediocre in 3, but maybe thats just me. You can achieve a lot in 2 weeks. get the Drs note, contact your tutor and work hard. Worry and cry after the exams, but not now as they dont do any good and you have better things to do. DONT GIVE UP and good luck.
Reply 7
You are still very young and you have time to turn things around.

Regarding your AS results, if the first comes to a worst, you can retake them right? Also you could do a BTEC and top uni's accept BTEC's too. Also you could try studying the course of your choice at the Open University.

With regards to finances, the government offers a tuition fee loan to most people on low income's as well as a maintenance grant and bursary from the university which will help with costs and expenses.

Good luck my friend!
Reply 8
Original post by Clockrice
Okay then. You need to talk to your parents. I mean need to talk to them and tell them how you are feeling, have a good cry and conversation with them about everything. Then go to bed and sleep, wake up and see how you feel then. See if you feel your head had cleared and you are able to take in all the knowledge you need to get the marks in your exams.

Why was year 10 so bad? PM me, if you want to talk to someone in private. But it seems you me you are worrying about your parents, it is going round and round in your head, so you can study because of it. So do as I said. Then you can actually think about what you want to do with a clear head. :h:
Thank you, I will see. I just don't want to worry my parents with my issues, as they have a lot to deal with already, so I just feel like I would be a burden to them.

Original post by Clockrice
I read all of it. It wasn't that long. :smile:
Thank you so much :smile:

Original post by Katarvi
You're talking as though you've already done badly in your exams when you haven't, there is still time to turn it around. I know you're feeling down and unmotivated and it sounds like you need to talk to someone maybe at your school about the pressure you're feeling with school work and financial issues at home, etc.

Two weeks isn't a very long time but if you try to sit yourself down and power through some crazy revision for just two short weeks of your life it can and will make all the difference. It feels difficult and impossible I know, but you can definitely do it and in the end regardless of your results you can say "I did my best". You will only ever regret not trying, you won't regret going for it and trying your best because that's all you can do.

In regards to university, do your family earn over 30k per year in wages? It sounds like there is some financial trouble which would indicate less than 30k per year in wages which means you would be able to apply for a student loan. It's worth talking to a career advisor at your school (or even just a counsellor of some sort) to discuss your options for your a levels, uni or an apprenticeship.

Good luck!
I say this because I didn't do well last year, so I just feel like I'll have the same outcome this year, and that makes me really anxious along with everything else. At times, I'm able to get on and revise, but other times when it all gets too much, I just can't at all. Yes they do earn more than that I believe, although because they have a lot of bills to pay (+ some bills from the past) at the end of the month they are left with hardly any money and my parents are not even the type to spend a lot of money, on the contrary. For example, we rarely spend money on buying new clothes etc and they always try and save up too, so even if I was to get a loan, it wouldn't be so much, considering it only takes into account the money my parents get paid and not what goes out.

However, these days I have been getting on really well, I have been socialising more with my friends (at lunch times, break times), so I have been feeling more relaxed and have been able to do a lot of revision. Thank you :smile:

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Paragraphs
I did have paragraphs initially, some how when I posted the thread... it ended up as one chunk! :tongue:

Original post by >Username<
Well firstly, you have not bought this on yourself! And yes, there are worse off people than you... But that doesn't mean your problems are insignificant to everyone else. It's good to acknowledge other people are worse off and realise what you have... But, that doesn't make your problems go away... :smile:

I'm sorry you're going through this... And I think what it is is... You got CCE. So what? What's wrong with those grades? In 2 weeks time you have exams... So revise what you can and do the exam...

You haven't wasted anything... Instead of focusing on what has happened, focus on moving forward and what is about to happen. Atm, you have exams coming up. Revise for them. Yes, you should have started earlier. But so what? Who actually starts in September and makes concise notes? We're only human.

You say money is a big issue for you and your family... There are loans and stuff at university, would these help maybe? Maybe after exams try and get a job?

Just ask yourself, what is it you want? If you want to go to university, then you can... Even if you don't get the grades, there are foundation courses... If money is an issue there are grants and loans available...

I think sometimes it's difficult to see what options you have because we only view things from one perspective...

You can private message me if you want, hope this helps and you can reply back to this... :smile:
Thank you so much :')! I've been able to focus on my revision these days, so I have done quite a lot. Hopefully, I can keep it up. Although, sometimes things are easier said than done.

Original post by 999tigger
Hey try no to worry because that wont help you. In addition to what people have said above, then if I were in your position.

1. I wouldnt give up.
2. Youve obviously been through a lot and you havent dealt with your mental issues. Imo you should go to the GP and see what they have to say with a possible diagnosis. You really need to get on top of this asap. If you get a Drs note about your fitness to sit exams, then contact your tutor. You might be able to put in extenuating circumstances.
3. You obviously scored well before, just not in the recent mocks. You should do some past papers( you should be working on them anyway) and get your teachers to mark them. the idea is if you score well, then you that should encourage you. that last mocks may just have been bad exams.
4. Talk with your teacher. I would think you just need to focus on doing your best for these exams and remind yourself you did well in january. work as hard as you reasonably can. Worry anout everything else after.
5. If the grades dont match, then just resit them. You cna always explain you had extenuating circs for the previous time.
6. Do not give up on going to Uni if thats what you wnat. If your family income is low then you will geta more generous grant plus you can get a p/t job and work in the summer.
7. If you had to do resits, then you could always work for the rest of the year to save money and just go to Uni in 2017 or later. The thing is theres no need to give up on the idea of going.

Try and get some sleep, then organise yourself to put some decent revision in. Dont forget you have the days between the exams as well. Youve gotten A in both psychology and biology, so I might focus on them. I cant tell where you are at, only you know that. id rather do well in 2 and resit 1 than mediocre in 3, but maybe thats just me. You can achieve a lot in 2 weeks. get the Drs note, contact your tutor and work hard. Worry and cry after the exams, but not now as they dont do any good and you have better things to do. DONT GIVE UP and good luck.
Thank you!! :smile: On the positive side, the as biology and chemistry grades won't count towards my a-level, so if I don't do too well in my psychology, I can re-sit a module. I'm definitely not going to give up :smile:. Although, I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about this to a Dr. or even a teacher, partially because I know someone people would think that I am making excuses, attention seeking and looking for sympathy, so I would rather not, I don't need that hassle. Hence the fact, I posted it on here, as no-one knows who I am... At least, I hope not! :s-smilie:.

Original post by Drax101
You are still very young and you have time to turn things around.

Regarding your AS results, if the first comes to a worst, you can retake them right? Also you could do a BTEC and top uni's accept BTEC's too. Also you could try studying the course of your choice at the Open University.

With regards to finances, the government offers a tuition fee loan to most people on low income's as well as a maintenance grant and bursary from the university which will help with costs and expenses.

Good luck my friend!
Yes, I can. Although, my as biology and chemistry I wouldn't need to because it they have changed the exams and it is now linear, so they won't count towards my a-level, only psychology will as I am doing it at a2.
Your post indicates you are not coping well and you should talk to someone.

Quick Reply