The Student Room Group

Can I Retake GCSES

Hi,

I'm 16 and am currently taking my GCSEs. If my results aren't as good as what I want, can I resit specific subjects in November 2016, and how will I proceed about doing so? (I know my school doesn't have resits for GCSEs in November)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AnroldArnold
Hi,

I'm 16 and am currently taking my GCSEs. If my results aren't as good as what I want, can I resit specific subjects in November 2016, and how will I proceed about doing so? (I know my school doesn't have resits for GCSEs in November)

i believe only english & maths can be sat in the november series.
Reply 2
think you will have to self study and do exams in a centre and pay for each exam so u might aswell just work hard now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gregan

Do you know if other subjects can be re-sat next year?
Original post by gregan

^^^^

If you don't get a C in English and Maths, You shall have to re-take them.
Don't think negative by asking whether you can re-take your GCSE's.
Aim for getting a C or Above in everything and you're at/above the national average.
Goodluck.
Reply 5
Hi,

You can resit maths and english for free until you are 19 (I think it is 19). They do those in the November and June series. If you fail and your school won't allow you retake, then go to a college. But I doubt they won't let you - you probably haven't noticed.

In terms of retaking other exams, you will have to sit them as a private candidate.
Reply 6
Original post by celloel
You can resit maths and english for free until you are 19 (I think it is 19). They do those in the November and June series. If you fail and your school won't allow you retake, then go to a college. But I doubt they won't let you - you probably haven't noticed.

In terms of retaking other exams, you will have to sit them as a private candidate.

Hi

Will it be the new spec in November 2016 or the current spec?

Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi

Will it be the new spec in November 2016 or the current spec?

I believe the exam boards are saying the last re-sit opportunity for the current English and Maths specs is in June 2017. After that I think you would have to do the new specs.
If I do want to re-sit subjects other than maths/english, what will I have to do? Apply to private centres?
A new law made by the government is that you have to achieve a grade C+ in English Language, and a C+ in maths. What this means is that if you don't achieve a C grade or above (Maths & English Lang) you will generally have to resit the exam until you get the grade or turn 18 basically.
It is not compulsory to re-do any other subjects.
I am 17 and currently re-doing my English Lang as I got a D in the exam. This is my 3rd attempt (including the original) and I'm hoping 3rd time lucky! However I did pass my GCSE maths first time round - got a B! ((Super happy about not having to re-do)) :biggrin:

If your grades are really that bad, if your parents insist for you to re-sit and are willing to pay for the costs, then I'm sure you'd be able to. Anyway, think positive I'm sure you'll have done great! :smile:
Original post by Spirited-Sleeper
A new law made by the government is that you have to achieve a grade C+ in English Language, and a C+ in maths. What this means is that if you don't achieve a C grade or above (Maths & English Lang) you will generally have to resit the exam until you get the grade or turn 18 basically.
It is not compulsory to re-do any other subjects.
I am 17 and currently re-doing my English Lang as I got a D in the exam. This is my 3rd attempt (including the original) and I'm hoping 3rd time lucky! However I did pass my GCSE maths first time round - got a B! ((Super happy about not having to re-do)) :biggrin:

If your grades are really that bad, if your parents insist for you to re-sit and are willing to pay for the costs, then I'm sure you'd be able to. Anyway, think positive I'm sure you'll have done great! :smile:

Where are you re-sitting them? At school? At a centre?
Where are you re-sitting them? At school? At a centre?

Well, what happened was: I left my old school after finishing my GCSE exams because we didn't have a sixth-form. So I've been re-doing my English Lang at the sixth-form I got into. When its Maths or English Lang you don't have to do anything other than tell them if you didn't get the grade C+ in them.

My timetable had my A-levels in and my Eng Lang GCSE one lesson a week. So when I joined in September, I had the re-sit exam in November and I've recently just done another.

Hope this is helpful! :p: :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, what happened was: I left my old school after finishing my GCSE exams because we didn't have a sixth-form. So I've been re-doing my English Lang at the sixth-form I got into. When its Maths or English Lang you don't have to do anything other than tell them if you didn't get the grade C+ in them.

My timetable had my A-levels in and my Eng Lang GCSE one lesson a week. So when I joined in September, I had the re-sit exam in November and I've recently just done another.

Hope this is helpful! :p: :biggrin:

Can universities tell if you have re-taken a GCSE? Do you have to show them your official certificate when you apply?
Can universities tell if you have re-taken a GCSE? Do you have to show them your official certificate when you apply?

You are required to put the date you achieved each qualification in your UCAS application. There are serious consequences if you are discovered to have lied on your application. The person who writes your reference will check. Some universities will ask to see certificates though usually only if specific GCSE results are required for the course.

Mostly they don't care, very few are really interested in GCSE results as long as you meet minimum requirements and your A levels/BTEC/IB are good enough.

What makes you think that you could get substantially better results next year if you can't do it this year after 5 years secondary school education? How are you going to achieve an improvement without adversely affecting your sixth form or college study?

Unless your results are really weak (in which case you should consider looking for a college that offers a GCSE retake/level 2 study year) move on and concentrate on doing well in the next phase of your education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
You are required to put the date you achieved each qualification in your UCAS application. There are serious consequences if you are discovered to have lied on your application. The person who writes your reference will check. Some universities will ask to see certificates though usually only if specific GCSE results are required for the course.

Mostly they don't care, very few are really interested in GCSE results as long as you meet minimum requirements and your A levels/BTEC/IB are good enough.

What makes you think that you could get substantially better results next year if you can't do it this year after 5 years secondary school education? How are you going to achieve an improvement without adversely affecting your sixth form or college study?

Unless your results are really weak (in which case you should consider looking for a college that offers a GCSE retake/level 2 study year) move on and concentrate on doing well in the next phase of your education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd only be wanting to move maybe 1 or 2 of subjects up from an A to an A*

Don't just take my word for it, but I'm pretty certain they do look at GCSEs. --This does not mean it's the be all end all if they weren't the best-- Well, I'm fairly certain they can. This is because when you get your certificates on them it states the month and year of the exams. For example, mine is June 2015.

I have 2 certificates (different exam boards, one is AQA other OCR) and they clump the subjects you did for that exam board. Not sure if this is the case for everyone but I think it should be.

So if I've passed my latest exam, it will be on a new certificate as I've not done it with the rest etc. and it will say May 2016 for example. So my old grade will still be visible on my original certificate.
Don't just take my word for it, but I'm pretty certain they do look at GCSEs. --This does not mean it's the be all end all if they weren't the best-- Well, I'm fairly certain they can. This is because when you get your certificates on them it states the month and year of the exams. For example, mine is June 2015.

I have 2 certificates (different exam boards, one is AQA other OCR) and they clump the subjects you did for that exam board. Not sure if this is the case for everyone but I think it should be.

So if I've passed my latest exam, it will be on a new certificate as I've not done it with the rest etc. and it will say May 2016 for example. So my old grade will still be visible on my original certificate.

Ok thanks...
can you retake your options for example computer science
Can you retake your option GCSE for example computer science or imedia
Original post by KadeXshidO MUDA
Can you retake your option GCSE for example computer science or imedia

Please don't continue threads that are 3 years old.

Are you hoping you might be able to re-sit exams in the Autumn (almost certainly if it's a GCSE, no idea for IMedia) , or re-take the course (no chance)?

Quick Reply

Latest