The Student Room Group

I'm comfortable at Hull but I've got an offer from Nottingham

Hi guys,I'm currently studying a foundation year at the university of Hull, but I've got an offer from Nottingham to transfer into their first year?My problem is that I actually like Hull, it's so relaxed, suburban, convenient, I've made some good friends and I feel familiar and comfortable just where I'm at. In fact, I might even stay in the same accommodation next year if I'm still in Hull.

But I did my UCAS this year, because I was planning to get back to the Midlands to be closer to my mom and for other reasons, but now my mum's moved out of the country so I gave up on that plan?But now I feel that if I don't go to Nottingham, I would be wasting a big opportunity because it's a "highly" rated, big, international uni?

But I'm worried Nottingham won't feel as relaxed and comfortable as it's such a huge uni?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What degree are you doing and what are your career plans? If, for example, you're studying law and want to become a barrister or solicitor I would say a degree from Nottingham might open more doors than a degree from Hull. In some other areas, the university may never be an issue.
Reply 2
I'm from Nottingham so I'm biased but I would say it's definitely worth considering, Notts could definitely match up with Hull in many ways and the uni is fantastic - I don't go but having lived near it for so long I've been to a whole load of events and stuff there, but it's a great campus to be on. Notts is a pretty chilled out place to live though, and the trams/buses are good so getting around is easy.
And a degree from Notts will look great, let's be honest :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by drew48
I'm from Nottingham so I'm biased but I would say it's definitely worth considering, Notts could definitely match up with Hull in many ways and the uni is fantastic - I don't go but having lived near it for so long I've been to a whole load of events and stuff there, but it's a great campus to be on. Notts is a pretty chilled out place to live though, and the trams/buses are good so getting around is easy.
And a degree from Notts will look great, let's be honest :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man,

Overall I'm still not sure, I'm mainly moving to Nottingham because it's highly ranked and because it's a big, high quality uni, but I just don't know if I will like living there or if I will like the campus, plus I will have to leave the friends I made in Hull behind which sucks.

I just feel so comfortable in Hull I don't know if it's worth leaving it.
Reply 4
Original post by Decaffeinated
What degree are you doing and what are your career plans? If, for example, you're studying law and want to become a barrister or solicitor I would say a degree from Nottingham might open more doors than a degree from Hull. In some other areas, the university may never be an issue.

Well,

I'll be doing engineering, and I think that rankings don't really matter for engineering overall, but I still feel paranoid about going to the "best" uni possible?

Something tells me higher ranked unis are more sought after by employers which would help me in the long run? Also I've seen this High Fliers 2015 report which pretty much confirmed this somewhat
Reply 5
Original post by tinyflame
Well,

I'll be doing engineering, and I think that rankings don't really matter for engineering overall, but I still feel paranoid about going to the "best" uni possible?

Something tells me higher ranked unis are more sought after by employers which would help me in the long run? Also I've seen this High Fliers 2015 report which pretty much confirmed this somewhat

Certainly not if you want a career in engineering. Possibly can be slightly helpful but still not an insurmountable barrier if you want a career in finance.

Stay at Hull if you are comfortable there.
(edited 7 years ago)
You might find yourself academically out of depth at Nottingham too. I transferred from a not great uni for physics to a top 5 one and found it a huge step up, I'd say my grades suffered.
Reply 7
Original post by physicsphysics91
You might find yourself academically out of depth at Nottingham too. I transferred from a not great uni for physics to a top 5 one and found it a huge step up, I'd say my grades suffered.

Oh my god, that's what I'm worried about too!

I'm actually surprised Nottingham even gave me an offer, I've had a poor academic history in general, but that was mostly because I had a tough time dealing with my personal problems.

But after seeing a sample timetable for engineering students at Nottingham, I was kinda shocked to see that almost every day had a 9 am start, with days being very packed with lectures/workshops.

The thing is though, I don't know whether Hull might be equally as busy with the timetable next year or that it would still be the same difficulty?

So far from comparing the modules at both unis, Nottingham has 9 modules that are worth 10 credits each, while Hull has 6 modules worth 20 credits each?

Obviously Hull has less modules, but these modules being 20 credits might mean they are higher in content than the 10 credit modules at Nottinham?

Also, I don't know if it's a good idea to stay at a uni where I know I have an easy time, wouldn't that mean that my degree will be of a lesser quality because it's less rigorous?

Not that I mind, I would be glad to have an easy time, but it's the employers I'm worried about, I'm worried that they know about this, which is why they target higher ranked unis for job offers over lower ranked unis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Certainly not if you want a career in engineering. Possibly can be slightly helpful but still not an insurmountable barrier if you want a career in finance.

Stay at Hull if you are comfortable there.

This is so tough to decide, I just feel so scared of throwing away an offer from a "high ranked" uni like Nottingham?

I'm scared I will regret it for years to come?
Reply 9
Your degree at Hull is fully accredited. Same as Nottingham. There is no reason to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my god, that's what I'm worried about too!

I'm actually surprised Nottingham even gave me an offer, I've had a poor academic history in general, but that was mostly because I had a tough time dealing with my emotions.

But after seeing a sample timetable for engineering students at Nottingham, I was kinda shocked to see that almost every day had a 9 am start, with days being very packed with lectures/workshops.

The thing is though, I don't know whether Hull might be equally as busy with the timetable next year or that it would still be the same difficulty?

So far from comparing the modules at both unis, Nottingham has 9 modules that are worth 10 credits each, while Hull has 6 modules worth 20 credits each?

Obviously Hull has less modules, but these modules being 20 credits might mean they are higher in content than the 10 credit modules at Nottinham?

Also, I don't know if it's a good idea to stay at a uni where I know I have an easy time, wouldn't that mean that my degree will be of a lesser quality because it's less rigorous?

Not that I mind, I would be glad to have an easy time, but it's the employers I'm worried about, I'm worried that they know about this, which is why they target higher ranked unis for job offers over lower ranked unis?

Lougborough had 12*10 credit and Durham has 6*20 credit. I prefer 6*20 credit, as it basically feels the same as having 12 modules (often they split 50:50 each term) but you have less exams to do.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Your degree at Hull is fully accredited. Same as Nottingham. There is no reason to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You see I fully agree with the part about accreditation, it's just that I still feel so paranoid.

I just don't get it, why is Nottingham so highly ranked, what is it that makes them so special? My guess was better employer links or a better course quality, but I'm still not so sure. I really wish I didn't apply for ucas this year, it would've saved me a lot of stress :frown:
You see I fully agree with the part about accreditation, it's just that I still feel so paranoid.

I just don't get it, why is Nottingham so highly ranked, what is it that makes them so special? My guess was better employer links or a better course quality, but I'm still not so sure. I really wish I didn't apply for ucas this year, it would've saved me a lot of stress :frown:

Could you elaborate what you mean by you have an offer?

Did they send you an offer when you accepted Hull or did you apply through UCAS for a transfer?
Thanks man,

Overall I'm still not sure, I'm mainly moving to Nottingham because it's highly ranked and because it's a big, high quality uni, but I just don't know if I will like living there or if I will like the campus, plus I will have to leave the friends I made in Hull behind which sucks.

I just feel so comfortable in Hull I don't know if it's worth leaving it.

It's a pleasant thing to progress through uni with the people who started at the same time as you, these friends are your support network. You'll probably have a tougher time making new friends if you transfer in to the second year at a different uni.
Reply 14
Original post by physicsphysics91
Lougborough had 12*10 credit and Durham has 6*20 credit. I prefer 6*20 credit, as it basically feels the same as having 12 modules (often they split 50:50 each term) but you have less exams to do.

Ahh I see, there's the same amount of content, it's just less exams.

I am still unsure man, I feel that Nottingham gave me an offer because they think I can cope with the workload, but I am also weary that it might just be because of wanting my tuition fees?

Isn't doing shorter modules easier though because there's less content in them, I'm not so sure about it?

I definitely need to ask some engineering guys at Hull how busy their timetable was and think about it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Truthteller10
Could you elaborate what you mean by you have an offer?

Did they send you an offer when you accepted Hull or did you apply through UCAS for a transfer?

Oh hey, sorry man, I should put that part in my OP.

Well, I'm doing a foundation year at Hull, so I applied through ucas to do a foundation year at Nottingham, so it's not really classed as a transfer and I wouldn't lose out on a year's tuition fees
Reply 16
Original post by Joinedup
It's a pleasant thing to progress through uni with the people who started at the same time as you, these friends are your support network. You'll probably have a tougher time making new friends if you transfer in to the second year at a different uni.

Yeah the thing is that I feel that I can't guarantee that my friends will be with me throughout my degree, I feel that a lot of people will change degrees or drop out come second year, I don't think a lot of people will stick until graduation.

So I kind of feel I can't make my decision based on people, because it's very unpredictable. My friends would be there next year for sure, but when it hits second or third years when the course gets very tough, I feel a lot of people might not make it because a lot are actually quite struggling with the foundation year right now. (not because it's hard, but because of procrastination mainly)

I feel that this is the perfect opportunity to transfer because I would be entering first year from my foundation year at Hull, without having to lose tuition fees or having to enter second year as a stranger.

But overall I still feel sad about breaking up the familiarity and relationships I've built in Hull, it would be nice to continue everything rather than breaking everything up and starting all over again.

I feel that if I break everything early while I still can, I won't be as entrenched in Hull as I would next year for example (not that I would do ucas next year again though)
Ahh I see, there's the same amount of content, it's just less exams.

I am still unsure man, I feel that Nottingham gave me an offer because they think I can cope with the workload, but I am also weary that it might just be because of wanting my tuition fees?

Isn't doing shorter modules easier though because there's less content in them, I'm not so sure about it?

I definitely need to ask some engineering guys at Hull how busy their timetable was and think about it

Should be the same amount of credits per year everywhere...

more modules generally means more assessments... but also a better chance of recovering your average if you drop the ball in one of them... which is something to think about from year 2 onwards.
Reply 18
Oh hey, sorry man, I should put that part in my OP.

Well, I'm doing a foundation year at Hull, so I applied through ucas to do a foundation year at Nottingham, so it's not really classed as a transfer and I wouldn't lose out on a year's tuition fees

If you are in a foundation year then that's a very different scenario. There will be a significant change in your cohort at Hull with many new students joining and some foundation students leaving.

In that case maybe it's a good option to go to Nottingham.

It would have been helpful to mention this in your OP :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
If you are in a foundation year then that's a very different scenario. There will be a significant change in your cohort at Hull with many new students joining and some foundation students leaving.

In that case maybe it's a good option to go to Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. That does make a big difference. Also the words you use about Hull, comfortable and convenient sound as if you're in your comfort zone but are asking for someone to pull you out of it. You sound like you actually want to move to Nottingham but you're scared.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending