The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
lol listen anonymass
i know the deal with tafseer
ever heard of different interpretations?
dumb shiet smh -.-'

So now people on tsr can make their own interpretations ahahah
Reply 361
Original post by Anonymous
So now people on tsr can make their own interpretations ahahah

and that makes them 'valid' ahahah
Original post by z33
lol listen anonymass
i know the deal with tafseer
ever heard of different interpretations?
dumb shiet smh -.-'

:mmm:
Original post by z33
and that makes them 'valid' ahahah

shut up lol
Reply 364
didn't read post because i'm lazy and it was long

if you want to take it off, take it off - you'll feel much better for it.
you're overcomplicating it, most likely because you're worried about how other people (fam) will perceive you

well, that's all well and good but how are -you- perceiving it?
do what's good for you, if people around you aren't happy about that, that's life and they aren't worth your time anyway
I once saw a Muslim woman have a Marylin Monroe moment when a sudden upwards gust of wind struct.
Original post by Kaiju
you're overcomplicating it, most likely because you're worried about how other people (fam) will perceive you

She'll be 18 soon. The fear of disownership is very real.
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say this thread is very hard to make for me since I've always portrayed myself as a 'proud' Muslim. I have been feeling depressed for the past, say, 4 years of my life. I'm turning 18 in the summer, and I have never felt so ugly, so depressed, so not my self. Imagine realising that you're not going to be able to do what you want in life... that you're living just to wait for death. That is how I feel. I feel completely trapped.

My parents are conservative, very strict, very scary. My father moreso than my mother. My extended family are like that as well, you do one thing that they don't like and you're put under fire by the whole ****ing country. I have aunts and uncles here as well, and if I were to take it off all Hell would break loose.

I just can't try and find justifications for some of the things in Islam. Like this verse in the Quran:
"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great." (4:34)
This verse is in the Quran, it is not a hadith so you can say "oh that's just someone talking ****", it is the unadulterated word of God Himself.

I just don't see a reason for covering my hair, I can be modest in my thoughts, I can be modest without a hijab. I love God and I hope he forgives me but I just don't understand why? If He made me the way I am and He loves me, why does He order men to rinse their hands from my touch?
"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

I just don't see how this could be 'misinterpreted'. And it's not even just Islam itself, it is the Muslim community. The backwards thinking, the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do. I don't want to lie to myself, and to God and to my family and say I want to represent this and I believe in this and it makes me happy. It doesn't. I am depressed. I feel like ****. I feel like I am losing purpose. I feel like my dreams are too far to reach.

And I can't ignore it any more. It's been 4 years of constant **** and right now I am itching in my own skin. I am suffering so much and I know it might never end. Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation. If someone doesn't like me, I go out of my way to make them like me, so that would absolutely destroy me.

Funny how a cloth on your head can do that to ya huh? But I don't know how to live my life the way I want and not to hurt or be hurt by those I love and those I call "family". I just need help. I don't need someone telling me I will go to Hell. God is merciful and will forgive my sins. You are not God.

Any words of reassurance? Advice? Anything?

Hi there,

I am a hijabi but know many muslims that don't wear the headscarf but still embrace Islam and are brilliant at what they do. I understand that you are struggling with wearing a hijab so I suggest to try to find new styles that suit you and make you feel like the beautiful person you are! If you are feeling sooo depressed about wearing one then I guess just talk with your parents and see what they think. As well as this your writings on the role of a man to beat women should be revised a little as it may give the wrong impression- keep in mind that the Prophet (peace be upon him) who was the perfect role model for all of the ummah never beat his wives and only one time he poked A'isha to get her attention.
when the sahaba heard Umar bin khattab getting yelled at by his wife one asked why do you let her speak to you lit that ( may have some suggestions to why don't you forcefully or verbally stop her)
he replied
"Is it not true that she prepares food for me, washes clothes for me and suckles my children, thus saving me the expense of employing a cook, a washerman and a nurse, though she is not legally obliged in any way to do any of these things? Besides, I enjoy peace of mind because of her and am kept away from indecent acts on account of her.I therefore tolerate all her excesses on account of these benefits. It is right that you should also adopt the same attitude..." [Bujayrimi in 'Haashiyah']
does this not show the respect males had for their female counterparts even though cooking, cleaning and general house work were not obliged on them.

Remember that hijab is in your heart before you put it on your head. No one has the right to scowl in disgust, but remember that your parents want to protect you from falling astray away from your deen.
Again you are not created dirty, men are not obliged to physically touch women through intimacy as it can lead to zina. Allah would not want us to cover our beauty if he didn't believe we were made beautifully, completely opposite to connotations of dirt. Everything that Allah has made valuable in this world is covered for protection and dignity. Women are truly gems in Islam.

In terms of "the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do" this sounds like more of an argument of if you believe in Islam or not. So this should be a struggle within yourself and not with your parents and societal expectations right?

Allah knows best

NK
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say this thread is very hard to make for me since I've always portrayed myself as a 'proud' Muslim. I have been feeling depressed for the past, say, 4 years of my life. I'm turning 18 in the summer, and I have never felt so ugly, so depressed, so not my self. Imagine realising that you're not going to be able to do what you want in life... that you're living just to wait for death. That is how I feel. I feel completely trapped.

My parents are conservative, very strict, very scary. My father moreso than my mother. My extended family are like that as well, you do one thing that they don't like and you're put under fire by the whole ****ing country. I have aunts and uncles here as well, and if I were to take it off all Hell would break loose.

I just can't try and find justifications for some of the things in Islam. Like this verse in the Quran:
"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great." (4:34)
This verse is in the Quran, it is not a hadith so you can say "oh that's just someone talking ****", it is the unadulterated word of God Himself.

I just don't see a reason for covering my hair, I can be modest in my thoughts, I can be modest without a hijab. I love God and I hope he forgives me but I just don't understand why? If He made me the way I am and He loves me, why does He order men to rinse their hands from my touch?
"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

I just don't see how this could be 'misinterpreted'. And it's not even just Islam itself, it is the Muslim community. The backwards thinking, the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do. I don't want to lie to myself, and to God and to my family and say I want to represent this and I believe in this and it makes me happy. It doesn't. I am depressed. I feel like ****. I feel like I am losing purpose. I feel like my dreams are too far to reach.

And I can't ignore it any more. It's been 4 years of constant **** and right now I am itching in my own skin. I am suffering so much and I know it might never end. Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation. If someone doesn't like me, I go out of my way to make them like me, so that would absolutely destroy me.

Funny how a cloth on your head can do that to ya huh? But I don't know how to live my life the way I want and not to hurt or be hurt by those I love and those I call "family". I just need help. I don't need someone telling me I will go to Hell. God is merciful and will forgive my sins. You are not God.

Any words of reassurance? Advice? Anything?

Im not muslim, so feel free to completely disregard my answer (considering im not talking from a personal experience)
But anyway, i have two friends who are hijabis; one who's parents are like yours, very strict and conservative and the other whos mum allows her to do as she pleases. Anyway i got some tips from them i suppose

you've got two options
take it off and deal with the consequences, this will probably make you happy; i wouldnt feel too bad about this you seem like a good? muslim and honestly im sure god can understand why you've made the decision to take it off, if you do/

and then the other option is to continue wearing it, this will probably make you feel unhappy and restricted but you wont get any ear ache.
what im trying to say is, just do what will make you happy; and notice how i didnt mention your parents... because its none of their business, its YOURS, its YOUR body and YOUR decision and honestly, theyre going to have to come to terms with it! goodluck love! x
Original post by Josb
You expect us to believe that?

Well , I am stating a fact I don't really care if you believe it or not .
Original post by Reue
Urgh, you're trying to pass off horrible oppression as being for your own good.

Or you guys don't want to believe that this country began to change to the better
its not the same as 5 or 6 years back
I don't care if you don't believe cuz its not my problem
but I am answering the questions being asked
Original post by Hydeman
I've been gone five years, not fifty, 'hun.'

And where, exactly, do you live? My relatives in Riyadh have experienced no such drastic rule changes.

An abaya is not a dress anymore than a raincoat is a dress. Whether it's been replaced with something similar is of zero relevance to the discussion of whether it's a requirement to wear one or not.

Oh, there was a rule change in 2010? And what's your evidence for this? You'll need more than just your word to prove that the religious police have somehow stopped being the petty ex-convicts that they always have been, in a period as short as you claim.

If anything, the rules have been more stringently enforced since January of last year with respect to abayas.

You may as well give it up. It's obvious even to the members who haven't been to KSA that you're either deluded or trying to fool others into thinking that things are more liberal than they think.

I live in Jeddah

Well , I don't really have to prove any further the real life here . You may need to visit KSA and check the differences that occurred

Yeah but u guys missed the actual point KSA is not my country and if there is something that happens here which u guys are stating right , I wouldn't deny it cuz I will be surely suffering , but I am here taking about something happens for real and I was correcting someone .
Original post by Legendary Quest
And I know a countless number of girls who are forced to wear it. In fact, the other day, I was speaking with one of my friends and she was telling me how she did not like wearing the hijab. She felt like it was a burden. But guess what? She was afraid of taking it off. I will allow you to ask yourself why.

Every time someone tells me the hijab is not forced, I ask them this: how would her community, her friends, her family react if she chose to take the hijab off? You can sugar the matter all you like but the truth is clear: many women continue to wear it (and say they are wearing it 'for themselves':wink: when in reality they are merely wearing it because they fear what would happen if they decided to remove it.

Well , you are talking about different idea here . I am talking about a country rules forcing a girl to wear it not friends and family , but if u r talking about that I wouldn't deny that there r families that force there kids to wear it but there r also families that let it a choice for their kids to wear it wenever they want . No one lies about wearing the hijab for themselves cuz its either they like it or not . They were forced to do it or not .
Original post by Retired_Messiah
There are certain philosophical arguments claiming that the dilemma you're creating here is effectively a false one. A simple one is that there's a distinction between inherent omniscience and total omniscience, with inherent omniscience being that God can know anything that can be known that He chooses to know. Total omniscience is where you know everything that can be known, and as such can't choose to not know things. Some theologians will argue that God is the former, and chooses to not know the future so that human free will remains intact, for the sake of whatever test he's cooking .

This may genuinely be one of the ridiculous things I've ever read. It's a perfect example of people stretching definitions to suite their needs.

He's either all knowing (as your holy book teaches) or not. If he's the latter then it implies that's not the only thing the book was wrong about.

It seriously feels like you just made up that argument on the spot. "Inherent omniscience" by definition, isn't omniscience at all. That's like saying e-sports is an actual sport.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
1) don't call me sweety, darling
2) can you give maybe 1 mere source for any of these statements of yours?
3) so can women wear bikinis out in public in saudi arabia? I'm going to laugh my ass off if you actually say yes when you're saying "women aren't forced to wear hair coverings" at the same time, as if there's no dissonance

In public they don't wear bikinis maybe in resorts wer there is a swimming pool area for ladies only . Saudi Arabia 6 years back was exactly everything u r saying but now no . They are not really open and they aren't as closed as they were before anymore . They still don't allow certain things to happen but on the other side those certain things don't involve forcing a girl to wear a Hijab or a veil to cover their faces .
This may genuinely be one of the ridiculous things I've ever read. It's a perfect example of people stretching definitions to suit their needs.

He's either all knowing (as your holy book teaches) or not. If he's the latter then it implies that's not the only thing the book was wrong about.

It seriously feels like you just made up that argument on the spot. "Inherent omniscience" by definition, isn't omniscience at all. That's like saying e-sports is an actual sport.

My holy book? Gosh people try to read far too much about me from the bs I spew. I'm playing devil's advocate as an agnostic, don't confuse me for a subscriber to an Abrahamic faith and throw arguments revolving around those nonsensical religious texts at me. In any argument I bother with involving concepts around God I usually throw the bible/Qu'ran/etc out of the window seeing as it's p much a crock o' ****. A quick google of "bible quotes to do with God's omniscience" hasn't seemed to bring up anything directly contradictory to the potential of inherent omniscience though, if you're really that bothered. :rolleyes:

With that all out of the way, it wasn't an argument I made up on the spot, it was one by Christian Theologians (see: here). I imagine they're probably more read up on what the bible says than you or I. Some other Christian dudes go for predestination instead, which is probably more in line with Bible literalism from what I've read of it. To be honest though if I personally decided to commit to becoming some sort of vehement theist I would probably be more inclined to subscribe to the other argument I gave in my post.

Spoiler

Salam sister,
A lot of people here have said you can do whatever the heck you life. Of course, you can do what you like, Allah gave you freewill. I may be a bit late in response, but my main advice to you is to take a moment away from madness. The student room is not particularly a great place necessarily for these kinds of things. Sister it's about you, not anyone else's opinions. You should take that moment to evaluate everything, why do you feel the way you do, how much pressure has factored in to influencing your opinions on Hijab I.E what made you wear it, what made you want to take it off. I wear the Hijab myself, alhamdullilah it feels great for me, but again that is me. I don't come from a conservative family either, my mum doesn't wear the Hijab nor my extended family in terms of aunts etc. The only thing I'd say is revise the Quran, don't just look at it from one perspective, don't factor in everyone else's thoughts on your own problem. You don't need their voices you need your own. In terms of taking it off and how to do so, I would try and be honest to the parents. If that's not at all possible, perhaps wait until university. Just take a step back and reevaluate. To anyone here calling her a bad Muslimah, shame on you. We're here to support her in the best way possible, of course with Islamic teaching, but this is delicate. Intentions matter so much, so don't condemn her to Hell, because you are in no place to. Or call her a bad Muslim, because yet again you are in no place to. Don't give me rubbish with stupid replies like "you're teaching her the right way so well pfft" it's about her independence. Sister, you need to research more before you decide, that is all :smile: In'shaa'Allah no matter what the choice, you never feel sad again, surely with hardships come ease and may Allah grant you Jannah. :smile:
Wasalam.
the hijab isn't a necessity in islam so just take it off tbh, it's more of a cultural thing
Reply 378
If you don't want to wear it, then you don't. The Hijab isn't meant to be forced onto girls, the girl is meant to make her own choice for when she feels like covering up. You're parents seem to be unreasonable because you're still young and you haven't lived long enough to know whether you want to wear a hijab or not. Therefore, even if your parents are against it and you feel like you don't want to wear it. Then don't. It's your choice not your parents'.
Original post by orphan_black
the hijab isn't a necessity in islam so just take it off tbh, it's more of a cultural thing

I think you need to review that lol

Latest

Trending

Trending