The Student Room Group

I'm an MRA, AMA!

Just a few things:

1. No I don't own a fedora or have a neckbeard.

2. I am for equality, I just think that men's rights shouldn't be ignored.

Anything else, ask away.
Reply 1
What's the speed of an unladen swallow?
Reply 2
Original post by spanker
What's the speed of an unladen swallow?

A swallow can travel approx. 50-65 Km/h
Reply 3
Original post by IAmNero
Just a few things:

1. No I don't own a fedora or have a neckbeard.

2. I am for equality, I just think that men's rights shouldn't be ignored.

Anything else, ask away.

What do you think regarding traditional gender roles? What's your personal preference?
Have you ever actually gone out and campaigned? If so what have you campaigned for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lNurl
What do you think regarding traditional gender roles? What's your personal preference?

They work to a certain extent. In terms of raising a child for example, a father cannot breastfeed, and of course many scientist say this is an important part of raising a child. In terms of in the workplace. In terms of people dressing or acting certain ways, I don't really see and issue, dress how you want and act how you want, gender shouldn't really matter. In terms of things like dating, I.e. the man should pay etc, it should work both ways, there shouldn't be a stigma around the way people act in situations like that.

Overall, I'm traditional with views around raising a child, but fairly open minded in most other areas.

Hope this answers your question! :smile:
What men's rights do you actually advocate for?

What MRA figures would you highlight for those who believe MRAs are just anti-feminists?
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
Have you ever actually gone out and campaigned? If so what have you campaigned for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have, for male rape victims, we raised a few hundred pounds for charity from it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by IAmNero
They work to a certain extent. In terms of raising a child for example, a father cannot breastfeed, and of course many scientist say this is an important part of raising a child. In terms of in the workplace. In terms of people dressing or acting certain ways, I don't really see and issue, dress how you want and act how you want, gender shouldn't really matter. In terms of things like dating, I.e. the man should pay etc, it should work both ways, there shouldn't be a stigma around the way people act in situations like that.

Overall, I'm traditional with views around raising a child, but fairly open minded in most other areas.

Hope this answers your question! :smile:

It does, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
What men's rights do you actually advocate for?

What MRA figures would you highlight for those who believe MRAs are just anti-feminists?

Male rape victims, male suicide, male homelessness, failings of the education system for men.

In 2012, the male rate of suicide was three times that of women.
Men are now 5% more likely to be victims of violent crime than previously.
In 2010, nearly 6 million men were recorded as victims of partner abuse, nearly 2 million more than women.
One in ten men have experienced sexual assault.
One in 7 men have experienced severe domestic abuse.
One in for men have been assaulted by a partner.
Only 8% of services dealing with domestic abuse are aimed specifically at men.
Original post by IAmNero
Male rape victims, male suicide, male homelessness, failings of the education system for men.

In 2012, the male rate of suicide was three times that of women.
Men are now 5% more likely to be victims of violent crime than previously.
In 2010, nearly 6 million men were recorded as victims of partner abuse, nearly 2 million more than women.
One in ten men have experienced sexual assault.
One in 7 men have experienced severe domestic abuse.
One in for men have been assaulted by a partner.
Only 8% of services dealing with domestic abuse are aimed specifically at men.

And how do you accomplish your advocacy? :smile:

Thanks for providing the statistics although I spoke poorly and didn't say what I actually meant. By figures, I meant people. Are there any high profile MRAs who you could point people to who dedicate their time for men's rights? There are those who believe that MRAs are just anti-feminist chauvinists so if you had examples of well meaning people who are fighting the good fight - that'd be great.
Reply 11
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
And how do you accomplish your advocacy? :smile:

Thanks for providing the statistics although I spoke poorly and didn't say what I actually meant. By figures, I meant people. Are there any high profile MRAs who you could point people to who dedicate their time for men's rights? There are those who believe that MRAs are just anti-feminist chauvinists so if you had examples of well meaning people who are fighting the good fight - that'd be great.

Well, previously I have set up a campaign and we raised £250 for a small charity focusing on male rape, it's a small amount, but every little helps :smile: I'm trying to start a fundraiser soon to help the victims of homelessness, focusing mostly on men, but if we can help female victims too that would be great. I generally try to give out leaflets advocating my views, and showing that females are victims a lot of the time, but male victims are increasing too :smile:

Oh, well Paul Elam would likely be a great example, he started A Voice for Men, which is trying to make male issues heard. Herb Goldberg has written many books on the issues of the male-female relationships and views. Richard Doyle as well wrote a few books on male rape. If you look around it isn't just anti feminists, there are those who just want men to be heard too :smile:
what do you look like???????????????????????????????
Reply 13
Original post by scnotcrazy
what do you look like???????????????????????????????

That shall remain a secret :wink:
Original post by IAmNero
That shall remain a secret :wink:

why???????????
Reply 15
Original post by scnotcrazy
why???????????

Not at home haha
Original post by IAmNero
Not at home haha

wow brilliant excuse stev
you told me you would show me when you get home lol
shy are we? xx
Reply 17
What is ama
Reply 18
Original post by rm715
What is ama

MRA= Male right's activist
AMA= Ask me anything
are you the actual Nero? wow. if you are then you must be a very busy person; what with all the campaigns both off and online

further, why didn't you also reference christina hoff summers or lauren southern as other MRA people -__- ?

come on man; don't hog the lime light/glory -_-
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply