The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ehter
Guys do you know how much is the salary?

about £25k

may be a bit more in London
Original post by Ehter
Guys do you know how much is the salary?

It's the bottom point of band 6 :-)
I assume it's the same everywhere except London?

So at the moment it's £26,302
Original post by Optimist.Prime
It's the bottom point of band 6 :-)
I assume it's the same everywhere except London?

So at the moment it's £26,302

I think central London is £26,302 + 20%, and outer London is less!
Original post by Ale.medphy
I'm on reserve list for medical physics..too bad but there is still hope! A question for the other applicants of med phys, to people who applied last year and maybe to someone who is working for NHS: what did/would you do to follow the path of medical physics and maybe wait for the STP next year? Where can you get some experience in this field or in a related one? Anyway congratulations to everyone who got an offer!!! :biggrin: Best of luck for who is still waiting!

I'm a HoD in Medical Physics, but have a couple of STP applicants so am hanging round here! I would advise you to apply for jobs via NHS jobs website. There is a general scarcity of state registered staff (depending on speciality), so quite often we will take on people with a physics degree and train them ourselves. For the right person, this can end with the same outcome: registration.
Original post by Nightwing_
about £25k

may be a bit more in London

I heard it was £31k for London - does anyone know for sure?
Original post by jaaadele
I heard it was £31k for London - does anyone know for sure?

From the NHS agendas for change pay rates website:
High cost area supplements

AreaLevel (1 April 2016)
Inner London 20% of basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of £4,158 and a maximum payment of £6,405
Outer London 15% of basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of £3,518 and a maximum payment of £4,483
Fringe 5% of basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of £961 and a maximum payment of £1,665
Reply 1606
Original post by MickeyMoo
I'm a HoD in Medical Physics, but have a couple of STP applicants so am hanging round here! I would advise you to apply for jobs via NHS jobs website. There is a general scarcity of state registered staff (depending on speciality), so quite often we will take on people with a physics degree and train them ourselves. For the right person, this can end with the same outcome: registration.

I have seen many jobs advertised by NHS but all of them required HCPC registration!
Original post by Ehter
I have seen many jobs advertised by NHS but all of them required HCPC registration!

Band 7 and above posts will need registration, but below that is Practitioner level, where a degree is required. I have grown my own past two physicists, with on the job training, leading to HCPC registration. There are not enough STPs coming through to work in MP, so we often have to take un-registered graduates on.
For any band 7 post, I would at least get in touch with the contact in the job description and discuss your situation, as I know of several departments that are finding it really difficult to recruit registered staff.
Does anyone have an indication as to when the second round of offers may go out?put us all reserves out of our misery for a while?
Original post by Hurriya23
Does anyone have an indication as to when the second round of offers may go out?put us all reserves out of our misery for a while?

They haven't even finished the first round of offers yet! Still waiting on Cardiac and Vascular. Vascular isn't going out until tomorrow. Wednesday is the first deadline for accepting / holding / rejecting offers so there might be some after that? But I think if people hold offers then they can be held for a week?! I might be wrong about the last part though.
Any Med Phys applicants still waiting to hear? Still tearing my hair out here!
Reply 1611
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of relocation mid-training?
Original post by Ehter
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of relocation mid-training?

Hey, I think I read somewhere that this is not allowed (you might want to check rather than just take my word though obviously!). I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that training must be completed in the trust that you start at.
Original post by welly909
They haven't even finished the first round of offers yet! Still waiting on Cardiac and Vascular. Vascular isn't going out until tomorrow. Wednesday is the first deadline for accepting / holding / rejecting offers so there might be some after that? But I think if people hold offers then they can be held for a week?! I might be wrong about the last part though.

So can carry on with a normal life for a while without refreshing Oriel like a crazy person, thanks for that.
Dont really think anyone from reserve gets a place but can just hope.
Original post by ellie_203
Does anyone know when they are releasing cardiac offers?

I was thinking that seeing as they didn't send out an email saying it was going to be Wednesday like they did with vascular, that it might be today. But that might just be wishful thinking :frown:
Original post by jamiehuggett
Any Med Phys applicants still waiting to hear? Still tearing my hair out here!

I think direct entry people have heard, don't know about in service applicants, you might want to check your junk or clutter folders, my email went to the clutter folder
Original post by DuckyMinotaur
I think direct entry people have heard, don't know about in service applicants, you might want to check your junk or clutter folders, my email went to the clutter folder

I've just sent NSHCS an email asking if in service offers are being sent out at the end after the direct entry people have received theirs. And as I type this I've had a reply from them, "If you are in service, you should hear tomorrow."

I guess that saves me from panicking for the rest of the day, and I can begin all over again tomorrow!
I just got an email from NHS project manager. Stating that they want to have a talk with me. Anyone else got this ?
I just emailed them. Cardiac not being released until tomorrow. They're sending out communications shortly. Back to work people!
Original post by Techguy379
I just got an email from NHS project manager. Stating that they want to have a talk with me. Anyone else got this ?

What discpline did you apply for?hopefully its to offer you a position fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest