The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What are the student areas like in Nottingham?

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how the student areas are like in Nottingham after deciding to live in private accommodation in your second year? As it seems unlikely that I would be able to afford staying in halls for the second year

I have heard that Lenton is a student "bubble", but it seems like there hardly any shops around and that it's just a remote residential area?

I have had a look at Beeston which is pretty nice but I still feel like I need to see more.

What I'm looking for is a student area that is close to uni, has lots of shops and amenities nearby (not the city centre though) and is surrounded by other student houses so it's convenient to visit your friends.

Is there anyone that currently studies or previously studied at Nottingham who could please help me figure out what the best student area is?
Reply 1
I feel like you're thinking too far ahead, chances are you'll live in Lenton whether you like it or not because one person in your group really passionately wants to live there but, every area has it's pro's and cons so i'll try and spell them out for you.

Lenton:
+Good transport links to the city centre 34,35,36 buses and a fiver in a taxi.
+It's the student Mecca for Nottingham, chances are it's where your friends will be living.
-You end up paying for the reputation rather than the quality of housing
-You'll get the bus every day if you live any further than Kimbolton Avenue

Beeston:
+Plenty of shops around, massive Tesco and a decent sainsbury's aswell
+Houses are really cheap and relatively spacious
-You live in Beeston
-It's really far away from anything.

Dunkirk:
+Super close to the university, especially if you're doing engineering/science
+Still has a fairly high student population and a few decent pubs.
-No shops at all
-Transport links anywhere suck compared to the rest of Nottingham.

Also worth checking out Radford (Lenton's chavvy cousin), Wollaton and even West Bridgeford (if there's something wrong with you) .
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by milky228
I feel like you're thinking too far ahead, chances are you'll live in Lenton whether you like it or not because one person in your group really passionately wants to live there but, every area has it's pro's and cons so i'll try and spell them out for you.

Lenton:
+Good transport links to the city centre 34,35,36 buses and a fiver in a taxi.
+It's the student Mecca for Nottingham, chances are it's where your friends will be living.
-You end up paying for the reputation rather than the quality of housing
-You'll get the bus every day if you live any further than Kimbolton Avenue

Beeston:
+Plenty of shops around, massive Tesco and a decent sainsbury's aswell
+Houses are really cheap and relatively spacious
-You live in Beeston
-It's really far away from anything.

Dunkirk:
+Super close to the university, especially if you're doing engineering/science
+Still has a fairly high student population and a few decent pubs.
-No shops at all
-Transport links anywhere suck compared to the rest of Nottingham.

Also worth checking out Radford (Lenton's chavvy cousin), Wollaton and even West Bridgeford (if there's something wrong with you) .

Oh my god thank you so much, this is a really good breakdown of all the student areas.

I think Lenton seems very good, it's just that I wish there were more shops or some sort of high street around.

How long does it take to walk from Lenton to the city centre and to the uni though?

It's a shame that Beeston is far away from everything, it seemed quite close to the uni last time I checked google maps, but I will check again to make sure.
I wish Beeston was closer to the uni, it would have been the perfect area to live in imo.

I agree though that I am planning this out way too far ahead, the reason why is that I am already studying at Hull, and I might have the chance to transfer to Nottingham next year if I get the grades, I really like the area I live in at Hull, the shops, the uni and my other friends live really close.

I feel that the area I live in at Hulls satisfies all three criteria I'm looking for in the ideal student area, so I am very worried that if I make the move to Nottingham, that I would then regret it in the second year?

Also, I know this sounds silly, but I don't know if it's me, but Nottingham seems very dull? Like everything is either grey or green? Does the uni campus feel too big at times?

I like how big Nottingham is, but on the other hand doesn't that make the campus feel empty most of the time?
Does it take a long walk to get to your lectures because the campus is so big?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I am just so worried about regretting leaving my "perfect" student area, but on the other hand, Nottingham is a really good uni and I might still want to go there?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that Dunkirk is often overlooked. The debate is often between Beeston and Lenton for second year housing. I had somewhere in Dunkirk for third year. Very good as it was walking distance to both the library and it was also walkable when coming back from Ocean.
Original post by tinyflame

Also, I know this sounds silly, but I don't know if it's me, but Nottingham seems very dull?

Dull isn't a word I'd use to describe Notts.

Hundreds of societies, sports clubs, brilliant nightlife, good pubs. JCR socials, all the student run services, campus 14s,Goosefair, Varsity Sports.

I’ve graduated now but I’d rate the social side of Nottingham 10/10

There is more stuff to do than you can fit in a three year degree course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 3458349058349053
I think that Dunkirk is often overlooked. The debate is often between Beeston and Lenton for second year housing. I had somewhere in Dunkirk for third year. Very good as it was walking distance to both the library and it was also walkable when coming back from Ocean.

Hi,

Thanks very much for helping me out.

Would you say there's a lot of shops at Dunkirk?
Is there some sort of high street there?
Reply 6
Dull isn't a word I'd use to describe Notts.

Hundreds of societies, sports clubs, brilliant nightlife, good pubs. JCR socials, all the student run services, campus 14s,Goosefair, Varsity Sports.

I’ve graduated now but I’d rate the social side of Nottingham 10/10

There is more stuff to do than you can fit in a three year degree course.

Yeah I'm pretty much basing my impression on what I've seen from google maps

I think it's the massive campus that gave me this feeling, all I saw was lots and lots of green space and not many people.

I kinda felt that if the campus is going to be that big, the uni might feel empty most of the time.
I like how relatively small Hull's campus is, because it's so easy to bump into friends all the time

How do you feel about Nottingham's campus?
Hi,

Thanks very much for helping me out.

Would you say there's a lot of shops at Dunkirk?
Is there some sort of high street there?

No that is the one downside. It is a decent walk to Sainsburys. I did a few online shops for non-perishable items. Disaree about poor transport links though. There is a bus that takes you into the city centre.
Reply 8
No that is the one downside. It is a decent walk to Sainsburys. I did a few online shops for non-perishable items. Disaree about poor transport links though. There is a bus that takes you into the city centre.

Ahh I see, thanks for letting me know man, appreciate the help.

I am going to visit the campus very soon and I will try to visit some of the student areas if I can, do you know which is the closest one to uni so it would be less trouble finding for me? Is it Lenton that's the closest or Dunkirk?
Ahh I see, thanks for letting me know man, appreciate the help.

I am going to visit the campus very soon and I will try to visit some of the student areas if I can, do you know which is the closest one to uni so it would be less trouble finding for me? Is it Lenton that's the closest or Dunkirk?

I would explore Lenton as that is the main student area where most end up. It is a bit of a walk compared to Dunkirk but most people end up there.

If you choose Broadgtate Park I'd explore Beeston.

Are you not getting a bit ahead of yourself. You don't really have to worry about any of this till January when people start house hunting.
Reply 10
I would explore Lenton as that is the main student area where most end up. It is a bit of a walk compared to Dunkirk but most people end up there.

If you choose Broadgtate Park I'd explore Beeston.

Are you not getting a bit ahead of yourself. You don't really have to worry about any of this till January when people start house hunting.

Oh wait, hold on,

If I move to Nottingham, I would choose the Broadgate Park halls, and since I've heard that Beeston is quite a while away from uni, does this mean Broadgate Park is also far from uni, I thought it was really close to the uni?

But thank you so much for the advise man, I will try to look at Lenton mainly if I can when I visit Nottingham.

Yeah the reason I fret so much about this is because I'm not sure if the student areas in Nottingham will be as nice as in Hull, I live in the most ideal place for me in Hull, and I am scared it's not worth giving up come second year if I am at Nottingham? :frown:
Oh wait, hold on,

If I move to Nottingham, I would choose the Broadgate Park halls, and since I've heard that Beeston is quite a while away from uni, does this mean Broadgate Park is also far from uni, I thought it was really close to the uni?

But thank you so much for the advise man, I will try to look at Lenton mainly if I can when I visit Nottingham.

Yeah the reason I fret so much about this is because I'm not sure if the student areas in Nottingham will be as nice as in Hull, I live in the most ideal place for me in Hull, and I am scared it's not worth giving up come second year if I am at Nottingham? :frown:

It all depends what course you do. I was based in LASS (Law and Social Sciences) so Broadgate Park was a good location for me. Broadgate Park is located at West Entrance of uni park. I wouldn't say Beeston is that far away.

Maybe there is an argument for staying in Hull if you are settled.
Hi guys,

What I'm looking for is a student area that is close to uni, has lots of shops and amenities nearby (not the city centre though) and is surrounded by other student houses so it's convenient to visit your friends.

Is there anyone that currently studies or previously studied at Nottingham who could please help me figure out what the best student area is?

Based on what you're looking for, Beeston would definitely be the best for you. It's much safer to live in than Lenton and there are many close shops and amenities nearby. There's a massive Tesco, Sainsbury's and Lidl. You've also got poundland and Iceland nearby other useful shops like boots and wilko. It's also a short walk away from campus which would be super convenient; you could also get to campus even quicker if you ride a bike.

I'm currently a first year living on campus in catered halls but I find it much more enjoyable to shop in Beeston than town if I'm in need of more than a few groceries. There are mostly elderly and disabled people around and it's quite quiet on weekdays so you can do your shopping in peace. However, you may need to go to town occasionally to go to shops that aren't supermarkets.
The only bad thing about living in Beeston is that it's unlikely that any of your friends would be in walking distance and if you enjoy nights out, you'd never be able to walk back. I'm living in the city next year but everyone I know is living in Lenton. However, it would be fairly easy to visit friends in Lenton from Beeston as you could easily get the 36 or indigo which don't take long at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending