The Student Room Group

I've to make a decision! Studying Medicine.

Hey!
So I left HS almost 2 years ago. I started studying Medicine in Poland (English division) since my grades are below the entry reqs but I left after a month. It was very stressful there, we had 1-2 tests about the upcoming chapter everyday and lectures until 6 and 8 p.m.. I knew it was going to be stressful (and of course it's manageable, but hard) but in Poland there's no time left for doing much besides studying and eating and I know it's not like this in other countries. In Germany (my country), many students have part time jobs and still enough time for studying and living. Right now I am doing an internship at the hospital, but I don't know what to do.

Okay so basically I have two options left:
A) Go to another university in Poland and hope it's going to be better. And if it's not, keep with it no matter what. I've been thinking about Warsaw, but deadline is today so I've to decide today.
B) Study something different (I can't study in Germany, because after doing that there'd be no chance to study medicine in Germany
-in the UK (I've offers for BA and BSc Psychology in Scotland) and go for the graduate medical program in the UK after 4 years.
-in the US (more expensive), which would let me have a much broader education which I'd love to have and go for the graduate medical program in the UK afterwards and if that doesn't work out, I'd be able to study medicine in Poland in a shortened medical program.
And, since I studied abroad I'd be able to study medicine in Germany tuition-free by only waiting one more year after graduation though it's not a shortened pprogram (you can be admitted automatically after waiting 6 years in Germany).

As you see I thought through that like 1000 times and even though the first option is shorter, safer and more direct, the other option is more like the way I'd like to go. On the other side it seems like it's a stupid idea thinking I could end up in Poland after my Bachelor's degree. Any comments are very appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samman282
Hey!
So I left HS almost 2 years ago. I started studying Medicine in Poland (English division) since my grades are below the entry reqs but I left after a month. It was very stressful there, we had 1-2 tests about the upcoming chapter everyday and lectures until 6 and 8 p.m.. I knew it was going to be stressful (and of course it's manageable, but hard) but in Poland there's no time left for doing much besides studying and eating and I know it's not like this in other countries. In Germany (my country), many students have part time jobs and still enough time for studying and living. Right now I am doing an internship at the hospital, but I don't know what to do.

Okay so basically I have two options left:
A) Go to another university in Poland and hope it's going to be better. And if it's not, keep with it no matter what. I've been thinking about Warsaw, but deadline is today so I've to decide today.
B) Study something different (I can't study in Germany, because after doing that there'd be no chance to study medicine in Germany
-in the UK (I've offers for BA and BSc Psychology in Scotland) and go for the graduate medical program in the UK after 4 years.
-in the US (more expensive), which would let me have a much broader education which I'd love to have and go for the graduate medical program in the UK afterwards and if that doesn't work out, I'd be able to study medicine in Poland in a shortened medical program.
And, since I studied abroad I'd be able to study medicine in Germany tuition-free by only waiting one more year after graduation though it's not a shortened pprogram (you can be admitted automatically after waiting 6 years in Germany).

As you see I thought through that like 1000 times and even though the first option is shorter, safer and more direct, the other option is more like the way I'd like to go. On the other side it seems like it's a stupid idea thinking I could end up in Poland after my Bachelor's degree. Any comments are very appreciated! :smile:

Can you afford the uk international fees for doing a gem degree?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Can you afford the uk international fees for doing a gem degree?

The fees are 3,500 pounds a year in the UK. And there is a bursary and help from the NHS available to EU students too, so yes. In Poland I'm gonna pay 11,000 Euro/year (8,700 pounds)
The fees are 3,500 pounds a year in the UK. And there is a bursary and help from the NHS available to EU students too, so yes. In Poland I'm gonna pay 11,000 Euro/year (8,700 pounds)

I think the fees are more than 3,500? I may be wrong though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by FlyingBird
I think the fees are more than 3,500? I may be wrong though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an EU student so the first year is 9,000, second to fourth year is 3,500. Anyway, cheaper than Poland :smile:.
Any advice on what to do? I need to decide, today...
(edited 7 years ago)
At this point in time I think you ought to apply for your three most promising options. I wouldn't let the Warsaw option slip right now if I were you. From your post it comes across that you are less keen on this option - which is understandable given its strong association for you with a less than smooth experience - however now is perhaps not the best moment to make the decision.

Overall, I would encourage you by saying that your position is a good one: you have a place at a UK university and it seems that you can afford to pay the fees. Applying to Warsaw will not take this away. Once you have all your offers in, you will be better placed to evaluate your options. In my experience, navigating European Higher Education systems and patching them together can sometimes be a bit of a puzzle that doesn't fit together perfectly.

Anyway, it sounds like you're on track for one of a number of interesting things. Good luck with your applications and decisions!

NB. I would personally advice agains the US option: the cost of study there is much higher and the level of study is not particularly demanding compared with places in Europe. It may help to enquire of oneself "am I studying to study (or for the caché [the caché here being being able to afford to pay the fees] - opinionated of me, I realise, but nevertheless worthy consideration)?"
Reply 6
Original post by Des_Lumières
At this point in time I think you ought to apply for your three most promising options. I wouldn't let the Warsaw option slip right now if I were you. From your post it comes across that you are less keen on this option - which is understandable given its strong association for you with a less than smooth experience - however now is perhaps not the best moment to make the decision.

Overall, I would encourage you by saying that your position is a good one: you have a place at a UK university and it seems that you can afford to pay the fees. Applying to Warsaw will not take this away. Once you have all your offers in, you will be better placed to evaluate your options. In my experience, navigating European Higher Education systems and patching them together can sometimes be a bit of a puzzle that doesn't fit together perfectly.

Anyway, it sounds like you're on track for one of a number of interesting things. Good luck with your applications and decisions!

NB. I would personally advice agains the US option: the cost of study there is much higher and the level of study is not particularly demanding compared with places in Europe. It may help to enquire of oneself "am I studying to study (or for the caché [the caché here being being able to afford to pay the fees] - opinionated of me, I realise, but nevertheless worthy consideration)?"

Thank you, this already helps a lot.You're right, but applying to Warsaw would mean I've to take an entry test 600km away I'd have to study for and pay a 200 Euros application fee. So it's not only the application :frown:. Would you still apply?
My parents say that's a waste of money if I don't want to go there. Not that we can't pay it, but that's their point.

Yes you're right that the US is more expensive, but I'll think about that later. First, I've to make the decision about whether to apply to Warsaw or not.
Reply 7
So the application to Warsaw is submitted and I would've to pay the 200 Euro application fee tomorrow in the morning at the latest. So if you've got any advice post here please :smile:.
Thank you, this already helps a lot.You're right, but applying to Warsaw would mean I've to take an entry test 600km away I'd have to study for and pay a 200 Euros application fee. So it's not only the application :frown:. Would you still apply?
My parents say that's a waste of money if I don't want to go there. Not that we can't pay it, but that's their point.

Yes you're right that the US is more expensive, but I'll think about that later. First, I've to make the decision about whether to apply to Warsaw or not.

Np, I'm happy to help you.

In that case, I think that perhaps given your misgivings about Poland it may not be worth applying. If you ask yourself whether you can imagine yourself doing it then the answer may become clearer. The UK route to becoming a doctor sounds like it might fit your purposes better. Nevertheless, if you really feel like you're not sure then I would apply anyway. In your position, this is what I would ask myself before deciding.

I live in Scotland and can say that it is a very beautiful country. :smile: I'm not far from Glasgow and the scenery here is stunning. I can also tell you that Glasgow is a very friendly city!

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you be able to stud medicine in Germany after a first degree?
Reply 9
Np, I'm happy to help you.

In that case, I think that perhaps given your misgivings about Poland it may not be worth applying. If you ask yourself whether you can imagine yourself doing it then the answer may become clearer. The UK route to becoming a doctor sounds like it might fit your purposes better. Nevertheless, if you really feel like you're not sure then I would apply anyway. In your position, this is what I would ask myself before deciding.

I live in Scotland and can say that it is a very beautiful country. :smile: I'm not far from Glasgow and the scenery here is stunning. I can also tell you that Glasgow is a very friendly city!

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you be able to stud medicine in Germany after a first degree?

Thank you, you really helped me :smile:. Didn't apply there, but I contacted some students studying there. I'm pretty sure they will make an exemption if I decide to apply , at least it sounded like the deadline isn't very important.
In Germany the whole admissions process is regulated by the law and the law says that after receiving your first undergraduate degree you will be regarded as a student applying for a second undergraduate degree. There is a special quota for these students and in medicine it is so low that there is basically no chance to be admitted without a reason (like you'd need that for scientific reasons). Besides, entry reqs for psychology and biomedical sciences are almost as high as the entry reqs of medicine so I wouldn't have a chance.
Thank you, you really helped me :smile:. Didn't apply there, but I contacted some students studying there. I'm pretty sure they will make an exemption if I decide to apply , at least it sounded like the deadline isn't very important.
In Germany the whole admissions process is regulated by the law and the law says that after receiving your first undergraduate degree you will be regarded as a student applying for a second undergraduate degree. There is a special quota for these students and in medicine it is so low that there is basically no chance to be admitted without a reason (like you'd need that for scientific reasons). Besides, entry reqs for psychology and biomedical sciences are almost as high as the entry reqs of medicine so I wouldn't have a chance.

I hope you applications go well :smile:

That's interesting about Germany. Sounds like a well oiled machine (that might sometimes chew people up!) It's the total opposite in the UK... (everyone's welcome - if they'll pay!). Here, it's more a like a rusty machine that no one care about because the're too busy buying the own privately bought ones. The worst thing is that they don't even pay for gifted students to study!
I hope you applications go well :smile:

That's interesting about Germany. Sounds like a well oiled machine (that might sometimes chew people up!) It's the total opposite in the UK... (everyone's welcome - if they'll pay!). Here, it's more a like a rusty machine that no one care about because the're too busy buying the own privately bought ones. The worst thing is that they don't even pay for gifted students to study!

Well, even though German universities have a good reputation you'll see drop out rates as high as 40% in engineering and about 30% in courses other than medicine and psychology. In Germany, a professor won't care about you. Unfortunately, I've experienced the German system as well and I even found it much better in Poland. So it sounds better than it is.
Well, even though German universities have a good reputation you'll see drop out rates as high as 40% in engineering and about 30% in courses other than medicine and psychology. In Germany, a professor won't care about you. Unfortunately, I've experienced the German system as well and I even found it much better in Poland. So it sounds better than it is.

Yes, I experienced something similar to what you describe in France. The drop out rate there averages at about 50% for undergrads in state unis.

I think it's important t to have the state system because not everyone can afford to pay (even if it needs improving). If a country is just reliant on a 'private' system then students who can't pay are being let down. This is becoming the case in the UK (even if the fees are in the form of loans). Education shouldn't be an opportunity for private organisations to make profit in my opinion - it's about the society!

How did you find out about Poland? That's interesting. I was in France for my first year of uni, as the fees were less and the course more appealing.
Hi guys!
I'd just like to get a few opinions:
So I want to study Medicine and as a German with basically no chance to study medicine in Germany there are two options left:
1) Study medicine in English in Poland: it's a 6 year program, but there is an obligatory 1 year internship at the end of the studies so it's 7 years.
My thoughts: I like Poland, but the course is VERY demanding. I was there last year and left, because I wanted to try to be offered admission at private German universities instead of having their system. We had tests every day needed in order to be allowed to take the final examination, plus we had to prepare for partials during the year and had lectures to 6 and 8 p.m.. It's manageable though and I'd be willing to stick to it. Total cost including estimated cost of living would be 81000 pounds.

2) Do a 4 year Bachelor's degree in Scotland which would be tuition free for me since I'm an EU student and then apply to 4 year UK graduate entry medicine programs. If that doesn't work out, apply to graduate entry medicine programs in Poland.
My thoughts: I'd choose Scotland over Poland at any time. But that option is less direct and lasts a year longer.
Total cost would be 67000 pounds, but if I had to continue in Poland it'd be 83000 pounds.

What would you do if you were in my place?
Reply 14
Hi guys!
I'd just like to get a few opinions:
So I want to study Medicine ....

What would you do if you were in my place?

I've moved your post to the Medicine forum. You already have a similar post in Applications and UCAS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
EU students can also get a free degree in Scotland?

Lol
2) Do a 4 year Bachelor's degree in Scotland which would be tuition free for me since I'm an EU student

Are you sure? I live in Scotland and to my knowledge only Scottish students get free university from Scottish Unis.
Original post by KhaleesiStorm
Are you sure? I live in Scotland and to my knowledge only Scottish students get free university from Scottish Unis.

No no, EU students can get free university tuition because of EU law or something. So they CAN but Scottish universities prioritise Scottish students for it. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by KhaleesiStorm

No. EU is tuition free in Scotland, but offer requirements are typically very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not completely free, I believe there's still a yearly fee of 1200 pounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending