The Student Room Group

Will women look down on me graduating at 27?

Hey,

I'm turning 25 in the summer and I have two years year left of my Computer Science with Maths degree. As most of you are aware, most people go to uni at 18-20 and start careers between 22-25.

I'm going to graduate at 27 and even when I graduate It could take me 4-8 months to get my first job! So I won't be earning a decent income until I'm 27.5!

I don't know how bad is that. Women are looking for "the one" who is successful and women want to have kids so they are going to align with a man already established and successful.

I was at one of the societies and I shook hands and introduced myself to a group saying that, I'm 24 and this is my first year and one of them said "what happened"? This young group had the reaction that something was wrong with my starting/graduation age. I also met another female at uni and told her this is my first year and I'm 24 and she said "so you had a very late education".
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I'm turning 25 in the summer and I have two years year left of my Computer Science with Maths degree. As most of you are aware, most people go to uni at 18-20 and start careers between 22-25.

I'm going to graduate at 27 and even when I graduate It could take me 4-8 months to get my first job! So I won't be earning a decent income until I'm 27.5!

I don't know how bad is that. Women are looking for "the one" who is successful and women want to have kids so they are going to align with a man already established and successful.

I was at one of the societies and I shook hands and introduced myself to a group saying that, I'm 24 and this is my first year and one of them said "what happened"? This young group had the reaction that something was wrong with my starting/graduation age. I also met another female at uni and told her this is my first year and I'm 24 and she said "so you had a very late education".

its never too late, just keep working hard
If a female judges you for something minor like graduating Uni at 27, then she's just narrow minded and not worth pursing.
Reply 3
There's nothing wrong with that. Some women will, but the majority won't care.
Original post by Loosey Goosey
If a female judges you for something minor like graduating Uni at 27, then she's just narrow minded and not worth pursing.

first post finisher, close thread.
Its sad to note you are even asking this question. Just work hard and get a good grade. Dont be put off bu jerks and only consider the opinions of people who have intelligence and you trust. If you were 75 be proud of who you are for goodness sake. They are just immature idiots.
At least you're at uni mate! I don't see a reason a woman would not respect that in you. Where I'm from, women will drop their skirts for a tic-tac from a guy with no GCSEs and more counts of battery than he has teeth. I wouldn't sweat it, my sister is graduating at 25 and everyone is super proud of her and her boyfriend respects her regardless of her age of graduation. Some people don't graduate till 50. Good luck on your degree! :h:
You are getting a good education. You will have all the time in the world to work. 10 years from now, will you care? I doubt it. Don't panic. You are young and have a lot of time. Some people will think this, others will think that. Just pursue what you want and focus on that. Women can wait (it's not like men really have a biological clock anyway).
Reply 8
You have two options here:

1. Turn the clock back 6 years, or
2. Stop getting an education, so you never have to answer THOSE questions.

Seriously, if people will sneer at you for your career in Special Forces before starting university, or your ability to teach yourself English, binary, and Sanskrit after being raised by wolves in a cave somewhere, they have no right to be taken seriously.

Do what you need to do and do it well. The right people will be OK with that.
No they won't!

Keep working hard and good luck xD
Thanks for the replies guys! I should just get on what's important for me and the right women will come along.
I would probably respect you even more TBH. I know what it's like - I'll be that age when I graduate. Some of us don't have an easy ride and it takes us longer to turn our lives around. I think that shows strength of character, determination, optimism and hard work - all good things. I'm not saying younger grads don't have those qualities but I think they're stronger in mature grads because we've really had to fight to get to where we want and we didn't just have exams - we had other grown up responsibilities to handle too which is a massive pressure. I think it shows such determination and I'd actually look up to you plus, I personally relate to it.
hell, ill be 30 when I graduate, so I wouldn't worry too much! :wink:
Don't worry about it.

The right women will choose you, the right women with the right mindset will choose you who thinks like you. 8-9 years from your graduation, you could be on £80k and nothing will matter. You need to stay ambitious.

27 is still young and it's not a big deal, at least all of you will have a career, I know people with degree's who have failed to get jobs (quite a lot actually) and people with degree's who cannot get the job they want.

It's not a big deal regarding the age because you will have a career and a well paying career, most people don't start careers until their mid-late twenties anyway. I'm sure other qualities matter too.
Reply 14
Nope. I admire your courage and determination to pursue a degree in uni instead. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Don't worry. The right person will come :smile:
Thanks for the advice guys :smile:!
Screw 'em. Who cares what people think? :biggrin:
No! Of course not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending