The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Let me explain in simple steps:

The word originated in Arabic, yes.

It later became used in English, and was transliterated as "Moslem".

This was later updated to "Muslim", which has since become a more popular spelling.

Some of us still use the old spelling, which is perfectly reasonable. In my case I also use "gaol", encylopaedia" and "mediaeval", all of which are less used than newer alternatives, yet are perfectly valid.

I have never said it is the most-used spelling; it isn't.

What a word means in another language has no bearing on what it means in English. We use many words in English derived from other languages which mean in English something entirely different from their meaning in the original language. For instance, do you know what "cul de sac" means in French?

When I use a word in English it has the English meaning, whatever it might mean in another language.

I skipped most of that btw.

My point is, that word is also used as an insult for Muslims. Whether it be by English speakers or Arabic or every other language on this Earth.
It is mainly known as the definition I have given.
Now you can argue it means whatever, and it probably does.
But I think you know what it is widely used for and my point this whole time is that THAT WAS UNACCEPTABLE.
Original post by sammy1001
Lmfao, "Moslems".

Perhaps so. But that wasn't my point. My point was that if it really was a dangerous ideology, the 1.6 billion Muslims would not exist, nor would you.

That is nonsense. Nazism was a dangerous ideology, as I'm sure you agree. Do you therefore claim it never existed?

We are doubly fortunate in the west that (a) the Islamic world stagnated, held back by Islam and never developing significantly beyond the seventh century, and (b) it was for most of its existence, well away from Europe. This meant that European development led to military and economic ascendancy to the point that no Islamic power could challenge any European power after the reconquest of Spain. Hence, Islam did not spread far into Europe.
Original post by SalmaSalma
I skipped most of that btw.

My point is, that word is also used as an insult for Muslims. Whether it be by English speakers or Arabic or every other language on this Earth.
It is mainly known as the definition I have given.
Now you can argue it means whatever, and it probably does.
But I think you know what it is widely used for and my point this whole time is that THAT WAS UNACCEPTABLE.

Clearly, you are a troll.
Its confusing to yourself because you always assume your right.

Ironically enough, that in itself is an assumption. I don't, in fact, assume I'm right. I'm happy to be persuaded by rational argument. That I don't class insults as that does not mean I always assume I'm right. That would run counter to the whole idea of critical thought and free inquiry. :tongue:

Why don't you take it sentence by sentence and maybe you will get there.

More insults. Case getting stronger by the minute. :rolleyes:

Everything that I have said was true,

That's very much up for debate.

I don't have to post a link after every single thing I mention.

Nor have I, or anyone else, asked you to.

Why don't you search it up yourself or see the link I was given when I didn't understand what the word meant.

I could, but the argument that you're advancing makes it unnecessary to do so. Any word could sound similar to any other word in a different language - by your logic, perpetual silence is the least offensive course of action, because that way you eliminate the chance of uttering a harmless English word that has a similar-sounding offensive counterpart in another language (including your approved spelling 'Muslim', which could mean something offensive in a language other than Arabic).

(And this is without accounting for sign language, which would necessitate perpetually keeping out of sight of others by the logic you're using.)

Oh, did I win?

-_-

Of course not. Sarcasm. :wink:
Original post by brainhuman
Are you actually retarded? I mean a) you write like that because it's who you are or b) you actually believe by writing like that you make me mad.

I mean whatever it is, it is delicious to see you try so hard. And to know that you will fail your shitty exams. It's so finger-tasting delicious.

Whooooooahhhhh sooommmeeoooonnnesss RAGING, BLOODY NORA!!!!!!!

Looks like someone ****ed their exams over and has put their life in the bin aahahahahahahahahahhaahaahahah loollololololololo GET MAD MATE GET MAD. YOU MAD BRO!?!?!?!??! BRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!?!!? COME AT MEEEEEEEEE BRRRROROROROOROOOOOOOOOO!
Clearly, you are a troll.

I think you finally understood what was going on and how your arguments were invalid so that's what you resort to.
When you lose a basic argument, call the other a troll!
:congrats:
If anything, you're the one leaning towards the trolling side.
Quote me one thing I said which was cynical, racist or any other type of troll characteristics.

I've already got your listed.
Reply 286
Original post by lNurl
Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil,
The US gets less than 5% of its oil from Iraq. UK less than 2%.
North Korea has considerable proven mineral reserves. The problem is the lack of infrastructure and power to exploit them (because of trade sanctions, and because the end of the Cold War saw a massive drop in material support received from USSR and China).
DPRK have also had the military backing of USSR and China. Attacking DPRK would have started WW3.

or anything that America/West can exploit.
The decrepit state of North Korea makes it a massive market for redevelopment, with trillions of dollars worth of reconstruction possibilities.

As with the ME, it's not what we get from them that is important, it's what we can sell to them.
Original post by Observatory
We do have communiphobia. It is vaguely gauche to be opposed to communism despite all the terrible things it has done.

We do not however have conserviphobia.

What about ukipophobia?
Original post by Jeff458
Whooooooahhhhh sooommmeeoooonnnesss RAGING, BLOODY NORA!!!!!!!

Looks like someone ****ed their exams over and has put their life in the bin aahahahahahahahahahhaahaahahah loollololololololo GET MAD MATE GET MAD. YOU MAD BRO!?!?!?!??! BRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!?!!? COME AT MEEEEEEEEE BRRRROROROROOROOOOOOOOOO!

You?

And that is why you are lashing out now?

These exams have got you so stressed, it's hilarious to watch you fall apart.
Original post by QE2
With all due respect, it appears that it is you who has misunderstood the context.
Unless, of course, you are one of those who claims that the Quran is not a timeless and universal guide for all Muslims, but merely a record of events in 7th century Arabia, in which case - fair point.

Don't know where you got that idea from? (Probably from the same place that you get your information on the nature of Islamic ideology). My position on Islam has always been clear and unambiguous. It contains much that is violent, intolerant and oppressive, but unlike other religious texts, it is claimed by all its followers to be the perfect, universal, timeless and unchageable actual literal word of god - as acceptable and applicable today as it was 1400 years ago. Because of this, it is irrelevant how many peaceful or tolerant passages there are until Islam has been through its own enlightenment and reformation and Muslims are able to reject and condemn the bad stuff without being led to believe that they are committing a real and genuine sin, with repercussions.

You seem confused. There are many threads about Islam and Muslims that I do not comment on. My work is mainly the challenging and correction of misrepresentation and mendacity. Your indulging in ill-thought ad homs does not detract from that.

Starting to remember why I was soo happy not to message you for ages, because I don't have to read a long ass essay on why your life sucks.

Just to be clear, in simple words and very clearly state your opinion on Islam. Once and for all. Don't bs around just cut to the chase. Might be hard for you but try it.

The Quran is both you stupid and absolute, just doesn't even matter tbh anymore. Some knowledge you have. If you're not even clear on that then you might as well go back to bully bashing.

There are many threads on Islam you do not comment on? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I'm in stitches now. Keep telling yourself that
I think you finally understood what was going on and how your arguments were invalid

I stand by what I wrote. Your knowledge of language and how it is used is woeful.
Original post by XcitingStuart
What about ukipophobia?

Faragophobe is more catchy :tongue:
Original post by brainhuman
You?

And that is why you are lashing out now?

These exams have got you so stressed, it's hilarious to watch you fall apart.

AHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH THIS IS TOO GOOD :u:

Oh my days ahahahaha, too much bants.

Exams not got me stressed. You got me in bants is whats happening ahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaha.

Like I said, it's ok your life is a toilet, pick yourself up and you can still change bby. Unless you are a "tool" OOHHHHHHHHH GET REKTGqb\szxk k saosa[wdHpfsxlkjc YOU MAD BROROROROROOOOOOOOOOOO???? WHY YOU SO MAD? ISSSSSSSSSS ONLY A GAME BROOOOOOOOOOO? WHY YOU HEFF TO BE MADDDDD???
Original post by lNurl
Because it's a global game.....

Big countries look at them see the religion and population grow, they stick to whatever they believe (which means it's easier to anger them) in comparison to western countries.

it's like bullying, but not your usual school bullying, it's on bigger scale, something like,

West: we are not allowed many things in our religion, but we don't care, we do whatever we want, do the same
Islam: No thanks, we are good, we like to practise whatever we want
W: Eat this pig with alcohol
I: No
W: Do it, or you will regret
I: NO!
W: Lets start a war over there, and make it look like its their fault...
W: Lets video something half fake half true, and show it to whole world
W: Islam, you should have eaten that pig!

Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil, or anything that America/West can exploit.

Don't think anyone has ever spouted more ******** than this post right here on this site.
Original post by Hydeman
Ironically enough, that in itself is an assumption. I don't, in fact, assume I'm right. I'm happy to be persuaded by rational argument. That I don't class insults as that does not mean I always assume I'm right. That would run counter to the whole idea of critical thought and free inquiry. :tongue:

More insults. Case getting stronger by the minute. :rolleyes:

That's very much up for debate.

Nor have I, or anyone else, asked you to.

I could, but the argument that you're advancing makes it unnecessary to do so. Any word could sound similar to any other word in a different language - by your logic, perpetual silence is the least offensive course of action, because that way you eliminate the chance of uttering a harmless English word that has a similar-sounding offensive counterpart in another language (including your approved spelling 'Muslim', which could mean something offensive in a language other than Arabic).

(And this is without accounting for sign language, which would necessitate perpetually keeping out of sight of others by the logic you're using.)

Of course not. Sarcasm. :wink:

Constantly asking for facts to back up a statement is basically asking for a link and tbh I have not got that time.
And if I didn't send a link you would automatically act as if you have won.
No.
I think you are playing the dumb card here because as part of the troll nation you lot tend to use the word 'MOSLEM' instead of Muslim. So you do know the difference. Unless you seem to have a thing for historical words which I presume not because you would have been writing most of your arguments in Latin or whatever

I thought I would throw in a little humor and insults to keep you pissed because I knew more of your bigot filled nonsense would be known by the TSR community.
I stand by what I wrote. Your knowledge of language and how it is used is woeful.

Is that why you resorted to calling me a troll?

And do try to answer the question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff458
AHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH THIS IS TOO GOOD :u:

Oh my days ahahahaha, too much bants.

Exams not got me stressed. You got me in bants is whats happening ahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaha.

Like I said, it's ok your life is a toilet, pick yourself up and you can still change bby. Unless you are a "tool" OOHHHHHHHHH GET REKTGqb\szxk k saosa[wdHpfsxlkjc YOU MAD BROROROROROOOOOOOOOOOO???? WHY YOU SO MAD? ISSSSSSSSSS ONLY A GAME BROOOOOOOOOOO? WHY YOU HEFF TO BE MADDDDD???

You know, if the game is to act as retarded as possible, I am not so sure how fun it is. Unless of course that comes natural to you. So actually I can see the appeal this has to you.

One leaving quote to you, regarding the bolded part which you have been keen to repeat to convince yourself in every last post:

the lady doth protest too much
Original post by Dilzo999
Don't think anyone has ever spouted more ******** than this post right here on this site.

Read the post just above yours.
Original post by lNurl
Because it's a global game.....

Big countries look at them see the religion and population grow, they stick to whatever they believe (which means it's easier to anger them) in comparison to western countries.

it's like bullying, but not your usual school bullying, it's on bigger scale, something like,

West: we are not allowed many things in our religion, but we don't care, we do whatever we want, do the same
Islam: No thanks, we are good, we like to practise whatever we want
W: Eat this pig with alcohol
I: No
W: Do it, or you will regret
I: NO!
W: Lets start a war over there, and make it look like its their fault...
W: Lets video something half fake half true, and show it to whole world
W: Islam, you should have eaten that pig!

Think about it, why don't America care about North Korea? Because they don't have oil, or anything that America/West can exploit.

I love your brain, I'd marry it if you'd allow me to
Is that why you resorted to calling me a troll?

I resorted to calling you a troll because you repeatedly posted inane drivel about an Arabic word after asking what an English word meant and receiving explanations from at least two people. I concluded that nobody could be that stupid so you must be doing it deliberately to get a reaction. I apologise for calling you a troll. It is clear now that you genuinely don't understand what you have been told.

Latest

Trending

Trending