The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 3 WCH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
What was the last part ??? confusing how to evaluate the validity of the discrepancy?
Original post by OnTheHorizon
I wrote as no. of C atoms increases the more C-C and C-H bonds are there.Reacting it with O2 means more bonds will be broken so more energy is released.I wrote this because I believe you were supposed to explain the trends of the graph but using the equation given as reference.

Isn't bond breaking endothermic? But I wrote along the same lines but I said more bonds will be made and bond making is exothermic, therefore more energy is released.
Reply 102
Original post by don't cry-craft
I feel like you might not. But then again, it depends on the mark scheme. That;s a dilemma for sure. For the condition I just put heating. Will that be enough?

Hmm yet again I think that's rather debatable. Like you say I think it just depends on our luck and the mark scheme! :/ I've a feeling that reflux will need to be stated though.
Reply 103
Will heating be enough?

TBH with you i dont think so /:
You could also use anhydrous copper (ii) sulphate right?

i hope so aha. it forms blue crystals doesn't it?
Isn't bond breaking endothermic? But I wrote along the same lines but I said more bonds will be made and bond making is exothermic, therefore more energy is released.

Well Crap.
Original post by abz_98
What was the last part ??? confusing how to evaluate the validity of the discrepancy?

1st, 2nd were not valid because rounding off doesnt give a huge difference. Heat loss and incomplete comb were the valid statements
Original post by abz_98

I know that question was so messed up. I kind of ranked them and said which one would contribute towards the percentage error being high and why this is so. So the third one was the most, then the last.
Original post by AlonsoAMG
i hope so aha. it forms blue crystals doesn't it?

Yup :biggrin:
Original post by abz_98

I wrote that heat loss and incomplete combustion were valid.As the sig figs and uncertainty of measuring instruments was too low for a 41% error
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
1st, 2nd were not valid because rounding off doesnt give a huge difference. Heat loss and incomplete comb were the valid statements

yay, that's along the lines of what I put down. Kind of added which one would contribute most towards the percentage error.
Reply 111
Original post by toxicphantom007

yes i wrote exactly the same
i love you
Really ? I got around 41 %

Wasn't this like that ----> (1367.3-800)/1367.3 x 100= 41 %

Anyways this paper was so ****

u r correct i made a mistake though but my all friends go tthis same answer.
I hope physics unit 3 goes well.
Has anybody got some links or useful stuff ?
Btw it has been really easy in recent years
Dont know how edexcel will come up this time like they did with chem unit3
Well Crap.

Hey you might still get a mark since it was like 2 marks.
Original post by Blazyy
i love you

Haha :V
Original post by Blazyy
i love you

wouldn't mass give a large uncertainty since it was rounded to the nearest 100g tho?
I wrote that heat loss and incomplete combustion were valid.As the sig figs and uncertainty of measuring instruments was too low for a 41% error

Yeah I said the first two would have some impact but not a very significant impact, therefore not the main contributors towards the 41% error.
Reply 118
I hope physics unit 3 goes well.
Has anybody got some links or useful stuff ?
Btw it has been really easy in recent years
Dont know how edexcel will come up this time like they did with chem unit3

True they changed the whole format!! All in all hope the grade boundaries are low
Original post by Ahmed3651998
u r correct i made a mistake though but my all friends go tthis same answer.

No worries man :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest