The Student Room Group

I don't know what to study. Help!

I'm currently in the process of withdrawing from my current university and hoping to reapply to university for September entry, but I have no idea what I would like to study.

I've been racking my brain as to what I should study, but I cannot come to any conclusion as to what I want to do, and to make matters even worse, I didn't get the best a levels grades either, but I passed with CCC. But there is not a great deal of choice with those grades.It was devastating as I had got AAB at AS, but because of personal circumstances, I was overjoyed with getting CCC as I was convinced that I was not even going to get into university in the first place.

I was studying Social Science, however, I didn't particularly like it and my overall university experience hasn't been great. (Finance, being diagnosed with depression, not getting along with my housemates, as well as a lack social life.)

I was always convinced that I would become a social worker, but I would like to put that on hold for a bit, and study something else and then perhaps get a Masters instead and build up my experience a bit more.

I've looking into law, but I know that there is not much a chance with my grades, so it is becoming less of a possibility. I looked at history, English, sociology and other subjects, but I'm really unsure as to what would a good course option with my grades. I'm also worried about my career prospects, with my grades, I'm unable to go to a top university so I'm not sure what universities are best, and I'm just genuinely scared by the prospect of wasting my time again on a degree that I do not enjoy.

So it a massive dilemma for me, I'm really unsure of what to do :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by excelsiorgirl
I'm currently in the process of withdrawing from my current university and hoping to reapply to university for September entry, but I have no idea what I would like to study.

I've been racking my brain as to what I should study, but I cannot come to any conclusion as to what I want to do, and to make matters even worse, I didn't get the best a levels grades either, but I passed with CCC. But there is not a great deal of choice with those grades.It was devastating as I had got AAB at AS, but because of personal circumstances, I was overjoyed with getting CCC as I was convinced that I was not even going to get into university in the first place.

I was studying Social Science, however, I didn't particularly like it and my overall university experience hasn't been great. (Finance, being diagnosed with depression, not getting along with my housemates, as well as a lack social life.)

I was always convinced that I would become a social worker, but I would like to put that on hold for a bit, and study something else and then perhaps get a Masters instead and build up my experience a bit more.

I've looking into law, but I know that there is not much a chance with my grades, so it is becoming less of a possibility. I looked at history, English, sociology and other subjects, but I'm really unsure as to what would a good course option with my grades. I'm also worried about my career prospects, with my grades, I'm unable to go to a top university so I'm not sure what universities are best, and I'm just genuinely scared by the prospect of wasting my time again on a degree that I do not enjoy.

So it a massive dilemma for me, I'm really unsure of what to do :/

I think if you're totally unsure about what to do, you should knock the idea of reapplying for September on the head. You've already used your +1 year of funding, so you've only got one more shot at a fully funded degree. As well as this, there's not much point in going to uni just for the sake of it.

I'd suggest looking for work when you drop out, maybe in a field you're interested in. If finances aren't a big concern, you could try to get some work experience in a couple of fields. This would hopefully help you settle on a career plan and then you could reapply in the future with a stronger idea about the right degree.

Hopefully, in a few years time, your mental health will also be more settled, and this will make your university experience better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending