The Student Room Group

Applying whilst at another univeristy

Can you apply to Oxford whilst at another university through UCAS. If so, can the current institution remove you from the course if they find out? Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IHaveaQuestion.
Can you apply to Oxford whilst at another university through UCAS. If so, can the current institution remove you from the course if they find out? Many thanks

My friend did this and got rejected by oxford because they don't like people to be at one uni with the primary aim of leaving.
Original post by Buses
My friend did this and got rejected by oxford because they don't like people to be at one uni with the primary aim of leaving.

Ok :h: did he tell his university that he was applying? and where did he apply from? if you don't mind me asking. Was he told that the main reason for rejection was his attendance at another uni?
You can transfer into Oxford, Cambridge wont allow it. You just need to find a willing college.
Reply 4
Original post by physicsphysics91
You can transfer into Oxford, Cambridge wont allow it. You just need to find a willing college.

I don't think that's strictly true as some colleges do allow it ( I think?)
Reply 5

I think you'd have to be doing extremely well at your university and be extremely well into the oxford course you're thinking of applying to?
Original post by Thomb
I don't think that's strictly true as some colleges do allow it ( I think?)

I was told when I asked admissions I'd have to find a willing college.
Reply 7
Original post by physicsphysics91
I was told when I asked admissions I'd have to find a willing college.

Then that's what you've got to do. I'd start off by looking for a college(s) that have tutors with similar interests as you.
Reply 8
It isn't possible to transfer in to an Oxford undergraduate course mid-way through the degree, and this isn't something that individual colleges have discretion on.

It's perfectly possible to apply to Oxford while studying at another university, but you have to go through the same admissions process as everyone else (tests, interviews etc.) and you have to start the course from the beginning of year one. Some courses do offer something called 'Senior Status', where you can be admitted directly to the second year of the degree, but that option is only open to people who have already gained an undergraduate degree in a related subject.
Reply 9

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/548/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDYyOTE4NTAxL3NpZC9VM2pxdWFRbQ%3D%3D

Yes, but you will need a supporting reference from your current university. So they would know, but they aren't going to remove you... no.
(edited 7 years ago)
To meet the UCAS deadline I would be applying a week after lectures began. Would it still be appropriate to use my school reference as nobody would know me at the university yet?
Reply 11
To meet the UCAS deadline I would be applying a week after lectures began. Would it still be appropriate to use my school reference as nobody would know me at the university yet?

See PQ's answer to your posts in the other thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
See PQ's answer in your other thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

??
Reply 13
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
??

Last page here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749934
The gap year and reapplying questions thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Last page here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749934
The gap year and reapplying questions thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad. OP isn't thread starter on that, so I didn't find it.
Reply 15
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
My bad. OP isn't thread starter on that, so I didn't find it.

I've tweaked my reply for a bit more clarity :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What Oxford mean when they're talking about applying for year 1 entry with the support of your current university is that you apply AFTER completing the first year while taking a gap year (you could carry on into second year but that would mean that you'd get no fee loan from SFE for your first year at Oxford).

They aren't interested in attracting applications from people who have decided they aren't even going to TRY at their current course before trying to "trade up" to Oxford. That sort of lack of dedication and wilful decision to start something without any intention of completing it are NOT attractive traits in an applicant - especially for universities like Oxford where dedication and commitment to sticking things out are REQUIRED to do well.
Original post by PQ
What Oxford mean when they're talking about applying for year 1 entry with the support of your current university is that you apply AFTER completing the first year while taking a gap year (you could carry on into second year but that would mean that you'd get no fee loan from SFE for your first year at Oxford).

They aren't interested in attracting applications from people who have decided they aren't even going to TRY at their current course before trying to "trade up" to Oxford. That sort of lack of dedication and wilful decision to start something without any intention of completing it are NOT attractive traits in an applicant - especially for universities like Oxford where dedication and commitment to sticking things out are REQUIRED to do well.

PRSOM
Reply 18
Original post by PQ

Ah that makes much more sense. Thanks.

And similarly Cambridge's view is basically a flat out don't bother trying unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ty Guys, sry for making so many of the same thread, if I have any more questions I'll keep it just to this one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending