The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 3 WCH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Why was minor not produced?
Whats the answer to dis?
Dammit I haven't even started preparing for tomorrow,I'll start now.
Original post by OnTheHorizon
idk if only granules is correct or not because a classmate of mine suggested that there are many types of granules or something.Maybe it'll be accepted or maybe not.
I think fractionating column is wrong,I wrote the same thing.

It was simple distillation wasn't it? not fractional distillation? I wrote horizontal condenser. Do you think that's correct?
Original post by Saad69
Whats the answer to dis?

I Wrote most of it got oxidized :biggrin:

Best of luck
Original post by notsoclueless
It was simple distillation wasn't it? not fractional distillation? I wrote horizontal condenser. Do you think that's correct?

I honestly have no clue but I think it's simple,Otherwise fractionating column should be correct.Horizontal condenser is not an ADDITIONAL piece of apparatus,It IS a condenser.

I have no idea how to prepare for physics unit 3 exam, except for pastpapers, ive done them all, and I except a surprise from edexcel to **** up the test like the chemistry one
Original post by Saad69
Whats the answer to dis?

The carbocation in the intermediate stage was secondary so the secondary halogenoalkane formed would be more stable. Hence, less of F would be produced.
Original post by Hamadtype-
I have no idea how to prepare for physics unit 3 exam, except for pastpapers, ive done them all, and I except a surprise from edexcel to **** up the test like the chemistry one

Ahaha Yeah,I honestly usually lost 1 or 2 marks in the previous past paper question 1 with the blanks.Here I lost 5 out of 10

Its just distillation, fractional distillation have canals in in them to separate in different temps,
I honestly have no clue but I think it's simple,Otherwise fractionating column should be correct.Horizontal condenser is not an ADDITIONAL piece of apparatus,It IS a condenser.

Oh well. At least I'm getting the two other marks :P
(Look at me trying to be all optimistic) :P
There are some unit 3 notes on one of the TSR threads.
So far Let's see how many have I lost,5 from 1st question,The technique name is probably wrong,And the condenser justification I reckon I'll get 1/2 and I believe I'll get atleast 2 marks on the last question.My temp. range was wrong,I lost 1 mark in an explanation and another for 1 incorrect modification.
So that's -14 marks I believe.But I believe I'll still get 30+ at the very least.So I think it's safe to assume I'll get a B and maybe an A
We weren't asked about why the water flows that way. They did ask us about what the Liebig condenser was and what is it's purpose and that was 2 marks.
Calculate kj per mole was 3 marks. And Labelling was 2 marks. 1 mark was for naming the process.

Also the drawing the major product was only 1 mark not 2.
idk if only granules is correct or not because a classmate of mine suggested that there are many types of granules or something.Maybe it'll be accepted or maybe not.
I think fractionating column is wrong,I wrote the same thing.

i think it is anti-bumping granules
Original post by don't cry-craft
i think it is anti-bumping granules

Yes that is the correct answer obviously I wrote the same thing but I'm not sure about just granules.
Original post by I <3 WORK
Guys are these the correct order, questions and marks for the exam? It adds up to 50 but I've got a feeling I've missed some questions/ overestimated marks - so if you recognise any please tell me:

Flame test experiment (3 marks)
Name lilac cation (1 mark)
Name gas produced CO2 (1 mark)
Test for water (2 marks)
Name anion HCO3 (1 mark)
Write reaction including state symbols (2 marks)
Name E (1 mark)
Observation of -OH testing (2 marks)
Testing for iodine (2 marks)
Potassium manganate change (2 marks)
Draw the product (diol) (1 mark)
Draw carboxylic acid and aldehyde (2 marks)
IR spectra (2 marks)
Draw major product (2 marks)
Why was minor not produced? (2 marks)
Label reflux equipment (3 marks)
Why water flow used that way? (2marks)
How to change equipment for distillation (3 marks)
Name drying agent (1 mark)
Calculate energy transferred in enthalpy experiment (2 marks)
Calculate kJ per moles (2 marks)
Draw and label graph (2 marks)
Find enthalpy for C2H5OH (1 mark)
Explain why trend shown (2 marks)
Calculate percentage error (2 marks)E
valuate method and validity (4 marks)

You also missed out the question about the reagent and conditions needed to covert the halogenalkane to alkene which was 2 marks. there was also a question about the temperature range you would use for the distillation. I think that was 1 mark, not sure about that.
So far Let's see how many have I lost,5 from 1st question,The technique name is probably wrong,And the condenser justification I reckon I'll get 1/2 and I believe I'll get atleast 2 marks on the last question.My temp. range was wrong,I lost 1 mark in an explanation and another for 1 incorrect modification.
So that's -14 marks I believe.But I believe I'll still get 30+ at the very least.So I think it's safe to assume I'll get a B and maybe an A

What was the answer for the temperature range? I'm sure you'll be fine since it's above 30.
Original post by don't cry-craft
What was the answer for the temperature range? I'm sure you'll be fine since it's above 30.

I think it was 205-207 C +-1 the boiling point which was 206 I believe
Original post by I <3 WORK
Guys are these the correct order, questions and marks for the exam? It adds up to 50 but I've got a feeling I've missed some questions/ overestimated marks - so if you recognise any please tell me:

Flame test experiment (3 marks)
Name lilac cation (1 mark)
Name gas produced CO2 (1 mark)
Test for water (2 marks)
Name anion HCO3 (1 mark)
Write reaction including state symbols (2 marks)
Name E (1 mark)
Observation of -OH testing (2 marks)
Testing for iodine (2 marks)
Potassium manganate change (2 marks)
Draw the product (diol) (1 mark)
Draw carboxylic acid and aldehyde (2 marks)
IR spectra (2 marks)
Draw major product (2 marks)
Why was minor not produced? (2 marks)
Label reflux equipment (3 marks)
Why water flow used that way? (2marks)
How to change equipment for distillation (3 marks)
Name drying agent (1 mark)
Calculate energy transferred in enthalpy experiment (2 marks)
Calculate kJ per moles (2 marks)
Draw and label graph (2 marks)
Find enthalpy for C2H5OH (1 mark)
Explain why trend shown (2 marks)
Calculate percentage error (2 marks)E
valuate method and validity (4 marks)

The IR Spectra was one mark I believe and as someone pointed out you misssed some.

Quick Reply

Latest