The Student Room Group

AS Psychology - Identification?

What exactly *is* identification (in the context of social influence)? The book says that it is a mix of compliance and internalisation -- accepting that the beliefs of others are right, but only because you want to be more like them.

I just don't think it makes sense, though.. I don't see how you can internalise people's beliefs just because you want to be accepted by them..?

Scroll to see replies

It sounds a bit like the self fulfilling prophecy? If you look it up it might help you understand it more.
i think its when u do think their beliefs are right but because there is a lot of people who believe it or the way u perceive the person with the beliefs,thus u are conforming in that way rather than trusting ur own judgement
and it is internalised because u still hold these belives once u are no longer in contact with these persons/person
e.g u may convert to a religion because lots of people around u are that religion however once u seperated from this group, u still hold these believes or u may support a football team because of people around u, for example in primary school, yet once u move away from these people u still support the same football team
Look up Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment.
Reply 4
My books definition of identification in the social learning theory:

Identification: the process whereby an individual associates with the qualities, characteristics and veiws of another person.
It's also not on the specification for AQA A, so just worry about compliance and internalisation.
yes it is. its in the new spec
Reply 7
Original post by vanessamonicam
yes it is. its in the new spec

this post is more than 7 years old
Original post by difeo
this post is more than 7 years old

Strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

me or vanessa
Original post by difeo
me or vanessa

Vanessa for bumping a 7 year old thread and you for replying to her

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by rEaR vIeW
Vanessa for bumping a 7 year old thread and you for replying to her

Posted from TSR Mobile

what about you for replying to me
Original post by difeo
what about you for replying to me

Me replying to you mocking you replying to Vanessa is not the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Me replying to you mocking you replying to Vanessa is not the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Worse I'd say. At least me and Vanessa were being helpful, you're just being a nonce
Original post by difeo
Worse I'd say. At least me and Vanessa were being helpful, you're just being a nonce

Strong false accusations

Also coming from you LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Strong false accusations

Also coming from you LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

smh stop derailing xsinfinity's thread she's just looking for help with her psychology exam
Original post by difeo
smh stop derailing xsinfinity's thread she's just looking for help with her psychology exam

Brb still re-sitting Unit 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Example:
I'm going to pretend to like One Direction to build relationships with some students. They will see me as 'one of them'. As soon as they leave the classroom, I go back to hating One Direction.
Original post by Findlay6
Example:
I'm going to pretend to like One Direction to build relationships with some students. They will see me as 'one of them'. As soon as they leave the classroom, I go back to hating One Direction.

Why would you have to pretend to like 1D when they're goat

Posted from TSR Mobile
WRONG. That is INTERNALISATION. With identification you agree EXTERNALLY (publicly) with group's behavior/belief, even if you don't necessarily agree with them.For example: if the group you identify with all wear pink ties, which makes you to start wearing pink ties as well. You might HATE wearing pink ties, thus not agreeing INTERNALLY (privately), but you wear a pink tie because there is something in the group you value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending