The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Can someone please tell me that when you're doing pcr experiment, do you add primers and nucleotides at the begining of after step 1 in which DNA strands seperate???:frown:
Original post by Aimen.
Maynn this was so helpful.. Thanks ^______________^

Your welcome! :smile:
Original post by Aimen.
Can someone please tell me that when you're doing pcr experiment, do you add primers and nucleotides at the begining of after step 1 in which DNA strands seperate???:frown:

For the transcription process to happen, you need to put the following in a test tube and then place it in the PCR machine:

* Primers
*Free DNA nucleotides
*DNA Polymerase
*Dna Fragments

So yes, adding primers and Nucleotides is part of Step 1. :u:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
To write an experiment, you must use CORMS.
C - control: always include a control in your experiment, eg for the light intensity leaf experiment have an empty test tube with just some indicator in it...
O - organism: what organisms will be involved and what similarities do they need to have eg. same sex, age, health, ect
R - repetition: how many repeats do you do to make it more practical?
M - measurement: what do you plan to measure? eg growth length temperature weight size ect.
S - standard: what do you need to keep the same? eg time, diet, oxygen, light intensities pH ect

There is no other pattern because all experiments are different. But in order to plan an experiment? Bottom line, Use CORMS. :smile:

Original post by Aimen.
I try starting it with mentioning dependent and independent variable.
Then I write what needs to be kept same,
followed by how do we measure dependent variable
and then the conditions e.g temp or light or watever we know,
write a control group for your experiment
and end with stating repeats!

I love you guys:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Annaaix_

:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by PlayerBB
Are you guys prepared for biology unit 6 on 13th ?

How much exactly can you do? We just have the core practicals, solve every possible past paper and go through those mathematical concepts. I'm nervous about it though :/
Summary notes for unit 6 bc I haven't found the thread for it:biggrin:

when describing an experiment:
-state dependent and independent variable and state how to measure the independent (dcpip, counting, measuring length, etc)
-5 diff. values for dependent variable (e.g. temperature - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 deg) and how to control (waterbath/incubator,etc)
-refer to REPEATS.
-try come up with a control
-state a variable to keep constant for validity (usually source of organism or pre-treatment, or fruit from same source)

writing null hypothesis:
-''no significant correlation between (dependent) and (independent) variable
OR
-''no significant difference between (dependent) and (independent) variable
-use correlation when comparing a range of values, use difference when comparing 2 diff values.

detailed method of experiment (same as describing PLUS these):
-mention time period (example: leave for 48 hours)
-2 variables to control and how to keep them constant (this gives 4 marks so MAKE SURE YOU DO IT:colondollar:)
-description eg. aseptic conditions

when it asks to record, present and analyse data:
-calculate the rate/growth/change
-calculate means
-draw table w/ headings and units
-sketch graph w/ headings and units
-say ''use spearmans rank to determine correlation''

I have a question tho if anyone knows the answer.
On some questions it says ''the student applied a t-test to explore significance blah blah blah, she obtained this result, the table below shows critical values for t-test calculations'' how the hell do u draw conclusions from that:cry2:

You check the value under 0.05 because that corresponds to 95% significance
I know it's quite long but can anyone explain gel electrophoresis? the whole thing.
Idk what it is, what it does, how to do it, anything:colondollar:
I hope it's no bother but could anyone tell me how a mast ring is used? Has it got discs at the end of each of its arms onto which the antibiotic is added?
Thank you :smile:
I know it's quite long but can anyone explain gel electrophoresis? the whole thing.
Idk what it is, what it does, how to do it, anything:colondollar:

Check if this helps :smile: Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by user179
I hope it's no bother but could anyone tell me how a mast ring is used? Has it got discs at the end of each of its arms onto which the antibiotic is added?

A mast ring is a ring which has antibiotic impregnated discs at its tips. Using forceps, you place the mast ring onto the petri plate with the bacterial culture and incubate it. Clear zones will form around the various discs provided that the bacterium is not resistant to that particular antibiotic. Hope that makes sense :P
Our teacher wanted us to make some questions and although these are made just for the sake of it, I hope they help at least a little :P
Original post by notsoclueless
A mast ring is a ring which has antibiotic impregnated discs at its tips. Using forceps, you place the mast ring onto the petri plate with the bacterial culture and incubate it. Clear zones will form around the various discs provided that the bacterium is not resistant to that particular antibiotic. Hope that makes sense :P

Yes, thank you :smile:
But how do I add the antibiotics to it? Have you got a clue?
Original post by user179
Yes, thank you :smile:
But how do I add the antibiotics to it? Have you got a clue?

It comes with the antibiotics at its tips :smile: so you don't have to add the antibiotics to it :biggrin:
It comes with the antibiotics at its tips :smile: so you don't have to add the antibiotics to it :biggrin:

Oh, alright. Thank you loads :smile:
Original post by user179
Oh, alright. Thank you loads :smile:

No problem :biggrin: Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 196

:banana::bhangra::bl:
Reply 197
SetWidth800-Mastring-M5.jpg

Original post by user179

This is what it is and yes you add a different antibiotic or different concentrations of the same antibiotic at each end!
Reply 198
our teacher wanted us to make some questions and although these are made just for the sake of it, i hope they help at least a little :tongue:

thankyou for sharing! X
Original post by Aimen.
thankyou for sharing! X

Right back at you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending