The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
For the transcription process to happen, you need to put the following in a test tube and then place it in the PCR machine:

* Primers
*Free DNA nucleotides
*DNA Polymerase
*Dna Fragments

So yes, adding primers and Nucleotides is part of Step 1. :u:

Ohh i was confused at this since FOREVER! I thought if we added them at the begining, they'd denature at such high temperatures :P
Thankyou x
Original post by Aimen.
SetWidth800-Mastring-M5.jpg

This is what it is and yes you add a different antibiotic or different concentrations of the same antibiotic at each end!

Oh, alright, so I could say ' Using a micropipette, add equal amounts of the antibiotic solution prepared at the tip of each arm ' ? Does that make sense?
Reply 202
Original post by Annaaix_
I know it's quite long but can anyone explain gel electrophoresis? the whole thing.
Idk what it is, what it does, how to do it, anything:colondollar:

I think you should definately watch this!
https://youtu.be/8RBs0Ghg_48
Reply 203
Original post by user179
Oh, alright, so I could say ' Using a micropipette, add equal amounts of the antibiotic solution prepared at the tip of each arm ' ? Does that make sense?

Yea that totally does, but our teacher asked us to write teat pipette instead of micropipette!
Original post by Aimen.
Yea this is the first paper so maybe they didn't. But I always calculate the mean unless they state that find the range or median or mode! So, as a general rule it's better to always calculate the mean 'cuz they wontt cut marks even if they didn't ask for it! There's no negative marking in edexcel :smile:

Yeahh, thanks! I think the much newer papers are a bit different though, they're more strict than before, however, yeah we should add the mean if there's a lot amount of data to compare
Original post by Aimen.
Yea that totally does, but our teacher asked us to write teat pipette instead of micropipette!

Great, I'll write teat pipette instead then. Thank you x
Original post by notsoclueless
A mast ring is a ring which has antibiotic impregnated discs at its tips. Using forceps, you place the mast ring onto the petri plate with the bacterial culture and incubate it. Clear zones will form around the various discs provided that the bacterium is not resistant to that particular antibiotic. Hope that makes sense :P

Is it okay, if I use the chromotography paper and we soak each paper with different antibiotic or with antibiotics of different concentrations and then we insert those antibiotic discs into the agar plate and label the plate from below with the antibiotic we used for each disc ?
Original post by PlayerBB
Is it okay, if I use the chromotography paper and we soak each paper with different antibiotic or with antibiotics of different concentrations and then we insert those antibiotic discs into the agar plate and label the plate from below with the antibiotic we used for each disc ?

I think it would be better if you write filter paper but yes ^_^ the overall procedure seems fine ^_^
I think it would be better if you write filter paper but yes ^_^ the overall procedure seems fine ^_^

Thank you :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :biggrin: Best of luck :biggrin:
Does anyone have any notes for the fieldwork techniques or can anyone explain it
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Reply 212

Heyy THANKYOU for these ^______^
Reply 213
Original post by PlayerBB
Yeahh, thanks! I think the much newer papers are a bit different though, they're more strict than before, however, yeah we should add the mean if there's a lot amount of data to compare

The newer papers as in these IAL ones give medians and range as well. And they even gave this chi-squared test aswell!
Our teacher wanted us to make some questions and although these are made just for the sake of it, I hope they help at least a little :P

Thanks for sharing! :h:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Thanks for sharing! :h:

No problem at all :biggrin: Best of luck :smile:

Omg! Thank you so much! My teacher said she bought these for £99 and we had to wait till school to watch them. You're a life saver!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 217
Original post by Chinu_Cheeku97
Omg! Thank you so much! My teacher said she bought these for £99 and we had to wait till school to watch them. You're a life saver!

Posted from TSR Mobile

noo problem at all :smile:
Original post by Aimen.
I just saw this post! Well, Validity is all about doing the experiment under the same conditions everytime..
As in If you're doing the experiment of daphnia heart rate to see the effect of caffeine, you'd use the same daphnia, at the same temperature, in the same light intensity blah blah and you just alter the concentration of caffiene.
Got it? x)

I see!!:biggrin: Thanks!!
Does anyone know how to predict what sort of question would come up in 1(c) ??:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending