The Student Room Group

Funding options for PG study?

Hi

I am a postgraduate (graduated 2005) who has previously recieved financial assistance from the SLC. I have been working within the private health care sector for almost a decade and would very much like to improve my career prospects by undertaking a degree in podiatry.

Although I have managed to save £8K toward the course, I still have a short-fall of £12k. Does anyone know what financial support options are available to me? I will be living with my parents during study, so rent, food etc are arranged. Additionally, my place of study is within close driving distance of where I am, so no major travel costs.

If anyone knows of any alternative student loans companies or routes I can take to sort this out, I would greatly appreciate it. I have already applied and been asked for an interview, I feel like I'm about to fall at the last (albeit major) hurdle.

Cheers
James.
There is the career development loan offered by Barclays and the Co-Op. Have you had a look in the Post Graduate forum on here? I think the guys on there may have a better idea than me.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
There is the career development loan offered by Barclays and the Co-Op. Have you had a look in the Post Graduate forum on here? I think the guys on there may have a better idea than me.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look into the development loans. I've not read the PG forum yet, but will mke a post there as well.
Reply 3
Original post by tek81
Hi

I am a postgraduate (graduated 2005) who has previously recieved financial assistance from the SLC. I have been working within the private health care sector for almost a decade and would very much like to improve my career prospects by undertaking a degree in podiatry.

Although I have managed to save £8K toward the course, I still have a short-fall of £12k. Does anyone know what financial support options are available to me? I will be living with my parents during study, so rent, food etc are arranged. Additionally, my place of study is within close driving distance of where I am, so no major travel costs.

If anyone knows of any alternative student loans companies or routes I can take to sort this out, I would greatly appreciate it. I have already applied and been asked for an interview, I feel like I'm about to fall at the last (albeit major) hurdle.

Cheers
James.

If you'll be doing a postgrad course, the government is introducing a Postgraduate Loan for courses starting from this September. You can get a maximum of £10k, it isn't means-tested or income-assessed and it doesn't take previous undergrad SF into account - you can get it regardless of how much SF you've already had.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
If you'll be doing a postgrad course, the government is introducing a Postgraduate Loan for courses starting from this September. You can get a maximum of £10k, it isn't means-tested or income-assessed and it doesn't take previous undergrad SF into account - you can get it regardless of how much SF you've already had.

I had considered that, but isn't it limited to people 30 or younger? (I'm 34)
Reply 5
Original post by tek81
I had considered that, but isn't it limited to people 30 or younger? (I'm 34)

Nope. That was the proposal, but it was considered discriminatory. The upper age limit is now 60.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Nope. That was the proposal, but it was considered discriminatory. The upper age limit is now 60.

It seems that it's only open to people wanting to study at Masters level. I'd be looking to do another under grad degree. Reason being, that I have worked in health care since 2007 and never actually used the qualification I was originally awarded. I am now in a situaation where I am unable to progress my career to a professional level without attaining a further degree.
Reply 7
Original post by tek81
It seems that it's only open to people wanting to study at Masters level. I'd be looking to do another under grad degree. Reason being, that I have worked in health care since 2007 and never actually used the qualification I was originally awarded. I am now in a situaation where I am unable to progress my career to a professional level without attaining a further degree.

Apologies - I misunderstood the "PG study" in the title as studying a postgraduate course, not studying a second undergrad degree after graduating from another. Good luck.
Original post by tek81

Afraid there is limited funding for those wanting to study a second undergraduate degree. At present someone who has already graduated with a degree can get full funding for an NHS funded course, but as the NHS funding is being replaced with student finance from 2017 I have no idea if that will still apply. If its not an NHS funded course the applicant has to have the money themselves. Career Development loans are only for those embarking on 2 year courses which don't ordinarily attract funding (so basically just masters)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending