The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into woodhouse?!

I applied for Woodhouse College but a few months ago I received a letter saying they could not offer me an interview aka rejection.

However, I realised that they had sent my rejection letter out later than everyone else's (I know this because two of my friends also got rejected and they live near me) so i'm guessing this means they've fully considered my application properly being as I had put down a lot of things - extracurricular etc..

All my predicted grades were B's at the time

My grades have improved ALOT since so I was wondering what my chances were of going to Woodhouse on results day with hopefully good grades and possibly getting a place??
Is this possible? please oh please help
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Someone help :frown:
Reply 2
:colonhash:
Reply 3
Original post by fishandrice
Someone help :frown:

Do you know the reason for your rejection?

It might be due to having insufficient amount of places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Impressive

Posted from TSR Mobile

They gave me a few reasons e.g grades not being high enough, chosen subjects are competitive, travel distance etc
but I know the main reason is because my grades weren't high enough as most of the people applying for my subjects would have had A/A*'s predicted
but my grades have improved since and i'm hoping gcse's go well enough so I can show them my results and maybe just maybe get a place. I just don't know how likely this is because i'm not even on the waiting list
Reply 5
I am, by no stretch of the word, an expert, but have you tried ringing up the college to find out their policy on matters like this?
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

...is possibly the most useless comment by anyone, anywhere, ever.
Reply 7
Original post by Daito
I am, by no stretch of the word, an expert, but have you tried ringing up the college to find out their policy on matters like this?

Called them up and the lady just told me to come in on results day and see what happens.
I'm aware of this but just wanted to know if anyone had ever received a place from their college even tho they had previously been rejected
The lady on the phone didn't really seem to care and she sounded a bit like "uh, not another one of these desperate students" haha. The college is incredibly oversubscribed so I'm just a bit on edge
Reply 8
Original post by Profesh
...is possibly the most useless comment by anyone, anywhere, ever.

And your comment to highlight mine is even more useless.

I don't know Woodhouse. But I do know that certain people have been rejected because some colleges do not have enough space to allocate everyone. But it also depends on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
And your comment to highlight mine is even more useless.

I don't know Woodhouse. But I do know that certain people have been rejected because some colleges do not have enough space to allocate everyone. But it also depends on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you disagree that your point could effectively be paraphrased to, 'you may have been rejected by [insert institution] because they couldn't admit you', considering that a—however arbitrarily—finite number of places is implicit in the very definition of a selective admissions process?

If not, and providing that realisation deters you from making similarly jejeune observations in future, I will at least consider my time profitably wasted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Do you disagree that your point could effectively be paraphrased to, 'you may have been rejected by [insert institution] because they couldn't admit you', considering that a—however arbitrarily—finite number of places is implicit in the very definition of a selective admissions process?

If not, and providing that realisation deters you from making similarly jejeune observations in future, I will at least consider my time profitably wasted.

oh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand why people think Woodhouse is so great, I got into Maths, Econ, Psychology and Accounting with 4As 5Bs and a C. I chose to stay at my sixth form who actually get much better grades than Woodhouse. On results day just go to Woodhouse show them your grades, pick your courses, they either say yes or no, end of.
Original post by life.of.pablo
I don't understand why people think Woodhouse is so great, I got into Maths, Econ, Psychology and Accounting with 4As 5Bs and a C. I chose to stay at my sixth form who actually get much better grades than Woodhouse. On results day just go to Woodhouse show them your grades, pick your courses, they either say yes or no, end of.

Yeah but I haven't even been received an offer in the first place. The only thing that is giving me hope is that they liked my school report thingy because I had a lot to talk about for myself. Do you know anyone who has got a place when they enrolled on results day even after not being given an interview???
Yeah but I haven't even been received an offer in the first place. The only thing that is giving me hope is that they liked my school report thingy because I had a lot to talk about for myself. Do you know anyone who has got a place when they enrolled on results day even after not being given an interview???
Yes quite a few people, including my best mate lol.
Original post by life.of.pablo
Yes quite a few people, including my best mate lol.

sorry to be so nosey lol, but what grades did he get when applying on results day? I've heard the only way you're defo getting in with re-applying to Woodhouse is by having like 12A*'s
sorry to be so nosey lol, but what grades did he get when applying on results day? I've heard the only way you're defo getting in with re-applying to Woodhouse is by having like 12A*'s
He got 5 As and 5Bs
Reply 16
I was rejected last year because of my low target grades but then reapplied on results day and got in through there. It's still very much possible to get in, just go in on results day with your results and you could get in. Also, the grade requirements really aren't as high as you might think, I got As/Bs, others in college got straight Bs, and managed to get in so don't worry about needing all A*s x
Original post by mahean_s
I was rejected last year because of my low target grades but then reapplied on results day and got in through there. It's still very much possible to get in, just go in on results day with your results and you could get in. Also, the grade requirements really aren't as high as you might think, I got As/Bs, others in college got straight Bs, and managed to get in so don't worry about needing all A*s x

omg, thanks so much for the reassurance, It's just that the subjects I've chosen are very competitive and I know some people who are on the waiting list or people who are also planning on applying on results day.
I'm just gonna try and get high A* on the subjects I wanna take tbh
Reply 18
I haven't applied at all for Woodhouse and I'm regretting it. I'm wondering if straight A*s and A's would be enough if I came in on results day if I asked for some of the most popular subjects, eg maths. Would you do an interview on results day?
Original post by waagh
I haven't applied at all for Woodhouse and I'm regretting it. I'm wondering if straight A*s and A's would be enough if I came in on results day if I asked for some of the most popular subjects, eg maths. Would you do an interview on results day?
Well it depends on the available space for certain subjects. I didn't have a place at woodhouse but on results day when I turned up with 4As and 6Bs they offered me a place. I got in for all my subjects (including maths) apart from economics because they didn't have space.

Quick Reply

Latest