The Student Room Group

Money whilst doing a PGCE

I am hoping to apply to start PGCE soon, I was just wandering a couple of questions.

Does student finance work the same as it does for undergraduate degrees for a PGCE course?

Has anyone managed to do a PGCE course as well as having a part time job?

Thank you in advanced!
Original post by nottreece
I am hoping to apply to start PGCE soon, I was just wandering a couple of questions.

Does student finance work the same as it does for undergraduate degrees for a PGCE course?

Has anyone managed to do a PGCE course as well as having a part time job?

Thank you in advanced!

Yes it works the same but you could also be eligible for a government bursary depending on what your degree classification was.
Reply 2
I have just looked on the get into teaching website and I don't think I am eligible for extra funding because I am wanting to teach business and couldnt see this on the website.

Thanks for your help
Reply 3
Personally, I'd be wary of the part-time job idea. I'm currently doing Schools Direct Maths, and just to put into perspective how heavy the workload can be, I work most evenings until 9pm and at least one day each weekend is given over to work (on lesson planning/marking/uni assignments etc). I really can't see where I would have time for a pat time job as well!
No time to work with the workload - hope that your subject makes you eligible for a bursary.

If not, there's a few things I've been doing to make sure I have some income.

Market Research - I complete surveys, they reward me with points and enough points equal a £15 Amazon voucher - last year I easily made £200 through this.

Cashback - I use websites like Quidco to gain myself cashback on normal purchases, made £50 so far, which again can be paid to you via Amazon or bank and the app CheckoutSmart means I can buy some food/alcohol for free by uploading my receipt. (Made £35 so far)

TES Resources - I've started making and selling resources on TES for my subject. So far I've made £30.

It takes time, but it soon adds up.
Original post by Findlay6
No time to work with the workload - hope that your subject makes you eligible for a bursary.

Market Research - I complete surveys, they reward me with points and enough points equal a £15 Amazon voucher - last year I easily made £200 through this.

Cashback - I use websites like Quidco to gain myself cashback on normal purchases, made £50 so far, which again can be paid to you via Amazon or bank and the app CheckoutSmart means I can buy some food/alcohol for free by uploading my receipt. (Made £35 so far)

TES Resources - I've started making and selling resources on TES for my subject. So far I've made £30.

Hi Would you mind me asking what websites you used for market research - sounds like you did well out of this and it is somehting I'd be interested in for next year whilst I'm studying.
Thanks
Original post by eager2teach
Hi Would you mind me asking what websites you used for market research - sounds like you did well out of this and it is somehting I'd be interested in for next year whilst I'm studying.
Thanks

Ipsos/iap
Valued Opinions
YouGov

There's loads, google it.
Reply 7
Original post by Findlay6

Another option (if you're somewhere big) is to be a mystery shopper and get free food :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending