The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 1 Option E - 18th MAY 2016

Who is taking Russia on the 18th May?

PM me if you want to join a revision group chat on Whatsapp!

Matt
Has anyone got any predictions on what will come up tomorrow by any chance? (russia paper)
Original post by LaurenFWilliams
Has anyone got any predictions on what will come up tomorrow by any chance? (russia paper)

Well, these are the questions on the specimen paper, so not this stuff:
- Was Stalin’s elimination of his opponents in government and party the main reason for his power in the USSR in the years 1928–53? Explain your answer.
- Was the failure of Khrushchev’s industrial reforms the main reason for economic problems in the USSR in the years 1964–82? Explain your answer.
- To what extent did government policy towards arts and culture change in the years 1917–64?
- How accurate is it to say that government social policy succeeded in improving the lives of people in the USSR in the years 1953–85?

Apparently the first question will focus on the government and the economy, and the second question on society and control (and then the third question is always on the fall of the Sovet Union). It's so annoying being the first year to do a spec!
Original post by soozeywoo
Well, these are the questions on the specimen paper, so not this stuff:
- Was Stalin’s elimination of his opponents in government and party the main reason for his power in the USSR in the years 1928–53? Explain your answer.
- Was the failure of Khrushchev’s industrial reforms the main reason for economic problems in the USSR in the years 1964–82? Explain your answer.
- To what extent did government policy towards arts and culture change in the years 1917–64?
- How accurate is it to say that government social policy succeeded in improving the lives of people in the USSR in the years 1953–85?

Apparently the first question will focus on the government and the economy, and the second question on society and control (and then the third question is always on the fall of the Sovet Union). It's so annoying being the first year to do a spec!

Thank you so much! Must have been looking in the wrong place because i couldnt find the specimen papers for the life of me jfc. I know right! im so scared for tomorrows exam i feel so unpepared, especially for the interpretations question! I couldnt find anyone else doing this new spec either which worried me a lot, i hope theyre nice on the grade boundaries considering its the first year :frown:
Reply 4
how did it go guys?
For me I think that I got around 46/60
Original post by TSRMatt
how did it go guys?
For me I think that I got around 46/60

How can you just predict this?

Personally I loved the questions
Reply 6
Original post by Major Wilson
How can you just predict this?

Personally I loved the questions

I'm just assuming from past questions that I've done that the teacher marked
hopefully the boundaries are quite low because it's a new spec
Reply 7
i did really like the paper, however i hated the sources at the end. i think section c was my weakest, the sources hardly agreed, what did you guys write fr section c?
Reply 8
also, if anyone does China, what do you predict will be on there?
Reply 9
I also found section c very difficult. My response was pretty incoherent.

Also according to the edexcel textbook section B questions were not supposed to span more than c.23 years so was pissed to see that the social policies q was from 1917-85, wayyy to long time period, i hardly got everything in.
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it went quite well, it certainly could have been a lot worse! I thought the Section C sources were quite good in that it was easy to pick out three factors/reasons why the USSR collapsed (like in the specimen paper it was clear to see what the two sources argued but hard to find a third factor), although they didn't really agree at all so it was difficult to cross reference.

Anyone else doing GDR for the depth paper?
I thought it went quite well, it certainly could have been a lot worse! I thought the Section C sources were quite good in that it was easy to pick out three factors/reasons why the USSR collapsed (like in the specimen paper it was clear to see what the two sources argued but hard to find a third factor), although they didn't really agree at all so it was difficult to cross reference.

Anyone else doing GDR for the depth paper?

I am!
Original post by TSRMatt
I am!

Ah nice! What do you want to come up?
Ah nice! What do you want to come up?

Hopefully religion for the essay question! We did the specimen paper for our mock and I got 34/40 scoring 20/20 in the essay which was ridiculously surprising :wink:

Source questions I want Berlin Wall/FDJ/Stasi
Original post by TSRMatt
Hopefully religion for the essay question! We did the specimen paper for our mock and I got 34/40 scoring 20/20 in the essay which was ridiculously surprising :wink:

Source questions I want Berlin Wall/FDJ/Stasi

Well done! I really don't want religion to come up because our teacher didn't actually teach it to us, so my notes are just copied off a friend :redface:

We did an essay about the Berlin Wall, so it would be pretty nice if that came up! I definitely prefer economy for the source questions because I find it a lot easier to get evidence/stats in!
Hey everyone!! Who has carried on history? :smile:

I am doing British Experience in warfare c1790-1918 this year (on top of Germany and Russia - Route E)!
Reply 16
Original post by TSRMatt
Hey everyone!! Who has carried on history? :smile:

I am doing British Experience in warfare c1790-1918 this year (on top of Germany and Russia - Route E)!

We're doing Germany coursework and then Ireland
Does anyone know how to structure the section c question?
My question is 'how convincing do you find the view that the USSR fell because of Gorbachev's misjudgement of the 'national question' with two sources, could anyone give a very rough structure????
What were the topics were the question on?
Original post by TSRMatt
Who is taking Russia on the 18th May?

PM me if you want to join a revision group chat on Whatsapp!

Matt

What were the topics, that the questions were on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending