The Student Room Group

Am I a *****y person?

My gf and I have been together for about 6 months.

After about a month and a half of "seeing" one another, she asked that we become exclusive, and things seemed to be going really well. Then, all of a sudden, she stopped messaging me completely for about 4 days.

Eventually, we met up and things went back to normal, better even. I was confused but decided to let it slide. This being my first relationship, I didn't openly discuss it with her, and didn't know how to act in response, so I simply gave her space and let her get back in contact.

After a good few weeks, she again went cold on me. We still messaged and hung out, but she was constantly on her phone and didn't seem bothered at all by my presence. I know I shouldn't have done, but I read some entries in her diary, as I was completely confused. Turns out that, in spite of asking that we become exclusive, she had kissed another guy for about an hour at a party, and was considering getting together with him and leaving me.

At this point, I asked whether she was actually into me, and told her that if she wasn't we could call it a day, no hard feelings. She claimed that we hadn't been in a formal relationship, and didn't think I was bothered - in fairness I wasn't putting in the effort in terms of messaging etc. But we had still agreed to be exclusive prior to this...

I now find it incredibly hard to trust her - particularly since she opened up about cheating on her last boyfriend and feeling no guilt for it. As a result, I have found myself checking her enties again, albeit only on occasion. In spite of things going really well, and her telling me, in the strongest terms, how much I mean to her, she has written a few times that she is afraid of cheating on me at upcoming festivals etc. In a way, I feel justified by doing this, considering her actions, but wonder whether it makes me a terrible person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

After about a month and a half of "seeing" one another, she asked that we become exclusive, and things seemed to be going really well. Then, all of a sudden, she stopped messaging me completely for about 4 days.

Eventually, we met up and things went back to normal, better even. I was confused but decided to let it slide. This being my first relationship, I didn't openly discuss it with her, and didn't know how to act in response, so I simply gave her space and let her get back in contact.

After a good few weeks, she again went cold on me. We still messaged and hung out, but she was constantly on her phone and didn't seem bothered at all by my presence. I know I shouldn't have done, but I read some entries in her diary, as I was completely confused. Turns out that, in spite of asking that we become exclusive, she had kissed another guy for about an hour at a party, and was considering getting together with him and leaving me.

At this point, I asked whether she was actually into me, and told her that if she wasn't we could call it a day, no hard feelings. She claimed that we hadn't been in a formal relationship, and didn't think I was bothered - in fairness I wasn't putting in the effort in terms of messaging etc. But we had still agreed to be exclusive prior to this...

I now find it incredibly hard to trust her - particularly since she opened up about cheating on her last boyfriend and feeling no guilt for it. As a result, I have found myself checking her enties again, albeit only on occasion. In spite of things going really well, and her telling me, in the strongest terms, how much I mean to her, she has written a few times that she is afraid of cheating on me at upcoming festivals etc. In a way, I feel justified by doing this, considering her actions, but wonder whether it makes me a terrible person?

I wouldn't say you're a terrible person, but I would say this is a bad relationship. You constantly having to keep an eye on her cos of her temptation to cheat is not healthy at all, nor sustainable. What are you gonna do if one day you find out she cheated on you? Its doomed in my opinion, either talk it out or break up. Has she even apologised for going behind your back? She doesn't seem to understand how to be exclusive and if she can't help but be stray without even telling you whats happening, she's pretty childish.
How old are you both?
Reply 2
Original post by Aykem
I wouldn't say you're a terrible person, but I would say this is a bad relationship. You constantly having to keep an eye on her cos of her temptation to cheat is not healthy at all, nor sustainable. What are you gonna do if one day you find out she cheated on you? Its doomed in my opinion, either talk it out or break up. Has she even apologised for going behind your back? She doesn't seem to understand how to be exclusive and if she can't help but be stray without even telling you whats happening, she's pretty childish.
How old are you both?

Do you think my checking up on her says something about me? Or is it justified considering her behaviour?

She hasn't apologised, no. She also claimed that she realised it was a terrible idea straight afterwards as he was a close friend, but in her entry, a day after the event, she was discussing thoughts of getting together with him...

She's 21, I'm 24.
She's cheated in the past and doesn't feel bad, and is afraid she'll cheat on you at festivals??? Sounds like she needs to -harsh words incoming - a) grow the **** up, and b) stop being such a slag. I'd get rid, 100%.
Reply 4
Original post by Aykem
How old are you both?

I'd also add that she never told her bf she cheated on him, twice, but instead stayed with him for 3 more months, pretending all was normal. She told me she hadn't felt guilty as she didn't love him anymore, but still acted as though all was fine, before finally ending it - for him completely out of the blue.
Reply 5
Do you think my checking up on her says something about me? Or is it justified considering her behaviour?

She hasn't apologised, no. She also claimed that she realised it was a terrible idea straight afterwards as he was a close friend, but in her entry, a day after the event, she was discussing thoughts of getting together with him...

She's 21, I'm 24.

It is totally wrong as it's her personal diary would you like her reading your messages?
Shows you don't trust her and if I found out someone read mine without my permission I would feel like I couldn't trust them.
Maybe you should break up as it looks inevitable that she would cheat on you sorry.
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
It is totally wrong as it's her personal diary would you like her reading your messages?
Shows you don't trust her and if I found out someone read mine without my permission I would feel like I couldn't trust them.
Maybe you should break up as it looks inevitable that she would cheat on you sorry.

Indeed, I know it's wrong. But then her behaviour has given me reason to distrust her, not that that is justification.

When you say it seems inevitable, do you mean because of her nature or because of me?
Reply 7
I'd also add that she never told her bf she cheated on him, twice, but instead stayed with him for 3 more months, pretending all was normal. She told me she hadn't felt guilty as she didn't love him anymore, but still acted as though all was fine, before finally ending it - for him completely out of the blue.

She's 21, I'm 24.

Yes, its definitely wrong and you shouldn't be invading her privacy like that, but I really think even the best of us would be tempted. Stop doing it, definitely, but I'm leaning towards the bigger picture here. Your relationship isnt sustainable, cos its missing the biggest component, trust. And honestly, I dont think its attainable when she's already been deceptive and shown no remorse for exs. As you said, she cheated on her ex and didnt even tell him/feel guilty. That implies she's self centered on a whole other level. Sure she didn't have feelings for him any more, but its completely dishonest and lacking of all empathy. Think about if thats the kind of person you want to be with, especially when its affecting your actions too. You to going through her personal diary demonstrates that. Shes not making you a better person.
Reply 8
Boooooooooooooy, you must have no self-respect and self-shame. You're going out with a girl that has cheated on you? Wow. Just Wow.
Reply 9
Indeed, I know it's wrong. But then her behaviour has given me reason to distrust her, not that that is justification.

When you say it seems inevitable, do you mean because of her nature or because of me?

She wrote in her diary she fears she may cheat on you and she cheated on her ex you are going to always worry whenever she goes out on festivals or night outs what she gets up to.
Even being with you she wrote that she would rather be with that other guy she kissed.

It is wrong though it's private not for you to look at but your relationship looks rocky anyway for you to read through it. Has she wrote anything positive about you in it?
2 words: dump her
Original post by Blondie987

I haven't seen you for a while your reply is quite blunt everything okay?
Original post by chikane
She wrote in her diary she fears she may cheat on you and she cheated on her ex you are going to always worry whenever she goes out on festivals or night outs what she gets up to.
Even being with you she wrote that she would rather be with that other guy she kissed.

It is wrong though it's private not for you to look at but your relationship looks rocky anyway for you to read through it. Has she wrote anything positive about you in it?

After kissing this guy, she wrote 'I guess that answers my doubts about (my name)'. She didn't specifically state that she preferred him, just that it answered her doubts, as though it hadn't been a considered action, but provided her with an answer.

Well this was in the early stages about 4 months ago. Since then, things have completely changed. One of her more recent entries was all about spending her life with me, the name of our pets, where would live, comclding with 'i just wish that we could have it all now'. So it seems as though she does now hold me in high esteem.

Why do you say so?
I would say you're "shi**y" in terms of efficiency, not morality. Dump her now rather than later, this looks like a train wreck.

Spoiler

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I would say you're "shi**y" in terms of efficiency, not morality. Dump her now rather than later, this looks like a train wreck.

Spoiler

Why do you think it loos train wreckish?
Why do you think it loos train wreckish?

Well...

You haven't been together for an immense amount of time but already
This being my first relationship, I didn't openly discuss it with her, and didn't know how to act in response, so I simply gave her space and let her get back in contact.
Communication issues...

I know I shouldn't have done, but I read some entries in her diary, as I was completely confused.

...and trust issues. Now if you ask the layperson what a good relationship is built on, what do you think would be the first two things they say?

Turns out that, in spite of asking that we become exclusive, she had kissed another guy for about an hour at a party, and was considering getting together with him and leaving me.[cut to avoid massive text block]... we had still agreed to be exclusive prior to this...I now find it incredibly hard to trust her - particularly since she opened up about cheating on her last boyfriend and feeling no guilt for it. As a result, I have found myself checking her enties again, albeit only on occasion. In spite of things going really well, and her telling me, in the strongest terms, how much I mean to her, she has written a few times that she is afraid of cheating on me at upcoming festivals etc. In a way, I feel justified by doing this, considering her actions, but wonder whether it makes me a terrible person?
She's given you justification for your initial trust issue by being...well, a bit of a hoe, really, and thus spawning further trust issues, and she herself appears to be concerned that she may well be a hoe again, leaving massive potential for your trust issues to again be further legitimized, causing more distrust... does that sound particularly healthy to you?I cannot see your relationship lasting in this state so I would quit while you're ahead.
Original post by chikane
I haven't seen you for a while your reply is quite blunt everything okay?

Yeah I'm fine, I just read this and didn't have time to put a long reply with a list of reasons, also I thought it was pretty obvious to me but I may have been a bit hasty :s-smilie:

Why do you say so?

From what you've said about this girl, it sounds like she's less invested in the relationship than you and has clearly mistreated you in the past. Maybe that's a bit of a rash decision and only you know if you want to continue the relationship or not but in a relationship there should respect and trust on both parts and I just don't see that from her in your op. It's just something to consider
Yeah I'm fine, I just read this and didn't have time to put a long reply with a list of reasons, also I thought it was pretty obvious to me but I may have been a bit hasty :s-smilie:

From what you've said about this girl, it sounds like she's less invested in the relationship than you and has clearly mistreated you in the past. Maybe that's a bit of a rash decision and only you know if you want to continue the relationship or not but in a relationship there should respect and trust on both parts and I just don't see that from her in your op. It's just something to consider

And do you think that lack of respect/mistreatment is a reflection upon me or are some people just so inclined?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Well...

You haven't been together for an immense amount of time but already
Communication issues...
...and trust issues. Now if you ask the layperson what a good relationship is built on, what do you think would be the first two things they say?

She's given you justification for your initial trust issue by being...well, a bit of a hoe, really, and thus spawning further trust issues, and she herself appears to be concerned that she may well be a hoe again, leaving massive potential for your trust issues to again be further legitimized, causing more distrust... does that sound particularly healthy to you?I cannot see your relationship lasting in this state so I would quit while you're ahead.

Granted, in retrospect I should have asked why she had gone cold, but I wanted to get her to make the first move - foolish perhaps. As it turned out, however, she had got together with this guy on the first night of those 4 days of radio silence, so a message from me during those days may have pushed her further away, who knows?

In terms of her behaviour, I actually wrote this as of a few weeks ago in order to find out what people might say, free from the eventual conclusion - we have now broken up. She ended up cheating on me after going to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending