The Student Room Group

Opinions on cycling to school?

So I'm getting a bike next week to cycle through part of my journey to school. Anyone else cycle to school, and what are the pros/cons?
pro more freedom/speed to walking
con could get runover

(edited 7 years ago)
You should totally go for it! :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I cycle to uni. It's great. Careful on the road. Motorists LOVE to overtake dangerously close to you because waiting for 10 - 30 seconds is just too much for some people, they'd risk killing you instead. Don't get me started on buses.

Happy cycling.
Reply 4
Original post by hezzlington
I cycle to uni. It's great. Careful on the road. Motorists LOVE to overtake dangerously close to you because waiting for 10 - 30 seconds is just too much for some people, they'd risk killing you instead. Don't get me started on buses.

Happy cycling.

Taking your bike on buses, or buses overtaking you?
Original post by UDZ
Taking your bike on buses, or buses overtaking you?

Buses over taking me.
Reply 6
My mom thinks it's dangerous cuz I'll be riding on the road
I did it for a few years but then stopped because it wasn't worth it. I saved maybe 5 minutes over walking and had the hassle of dealing with busy roads, locking a bike away, etc. If you live further away from your school so there's actually an advantage in cycling then it probably is worth it, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Plagioclase
I did it for a few years but then stopped because it wasn't worth it. I saved maybe 5 minutes over walking and had the hassle of dealing with busy roads, locking a bike away, etc. If you live further away from your school so there's actually an advantage in cycling then it probably is worth it, though.

It would be a massive advantage. 20 minutes cycling would be at least 40 minutes walking.
Original post by UDZ
It would be a massive advantage. 20 minutes cycling would be at least 40 minutes walking.

Well then yeah, it's probably a good idea. Just make sure you understand the rules of the road and maybe choose a route that minimises your time on main roads.
I cycle, took me just over 21 mins at 7 miles today. I'm quite good at it; I go 20mph which is quicker than cars factoring in traffic.
That's a good idea. Cycling to school will motivate you to work harder in school so that you can get a good job when you're older - that way you can afford a car and wont ever have to cycle again
I cycled to school everyday from Year 5 to Year 13 :biggrin:

It's fun, go for it!
Pros:You get to school quicker than walking.
Cons: It can be a bit slippy on icy roads, but you don't have to worry about that now.
I would if it wasn't for my stupid kilt... :frown:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I would if it wasn't for my stupid kilt... :frown:

Lol many girls cycle
Original post by Pablo Picasso
Lol many girls cycle

It wouldn't even be too bad if it were a skirt. But, with a kilt, it wouldn't take long for the world to face my rear end. :colonhash:
Original post by UDZ
So I'm getting a bike next week to cycle through part of my journey to school. Anyone else cycle to school, and what are the pros/cons?

M or F? You'd be sweaty n stinky once you get to school no doubt but healthier & fitter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I'm male. The sweat and smell is something I can deal with. I'll only be cycling for 20 minutes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the route in. Its a big advantage for time and health if you do it. Not so nice if it rains. If its safe then do it imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending